Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 12-02-2003, 03:53 AM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Sidney Crosby

This kid is supposedly good, really good, but he's getting invited to the Canadian junior tryouts already, and he's being mentioned everywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, nobody will ever match the hype and actually prove it like Wayne Gretzky did. Since 11 years old he was being hyped and appeared on his first national magazine at that age too. But anyway's, not my point...

Is it just me or does every player who shows that he's playing like an 18 year old at the age of 16 get media attention crammed all over him and the end up flopping after he's drafted too high and rushed into the NHL?

Seriously, the CHA wonders why they can't develop talent well enough, it's because you RUSH THEM WAY TOO FAST. I remember Joe Thornton's seven-point rookie season. Why did that happen? Because he was playing in a league he didn't belong.

Sure, it all worked out in Joe's case, but guys like Alexander Daigle, Pat Falloon, Patrick Marleau were all rushed into playing pro way too fast and they all ended up crashing down to levels of mediocrity we haven't seen since Rob Ramage. There shouldn't be 18 year olds in the NHL for the most part, they should raise the entry age to 20, or at least 19.

The CHA and NCAA/CIAU/whatever the college levels are called need to work out a deal to let players who play in junior (WHL/OHL/QMJHL) go and play hockey while they go to school, so that they can not only develop their talents further, but also get an education to fall back on, because I feel bad for kids that are just strung along who end up losing their hockey hopes and dreams because they were pushed into the game way too fast.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I'm not very impressed with that clip Grapes showed of Crosby during Coach's Corner last week. It was a great goal.... some guy from MSU did it a few years ago... but that was in a competitive game... there's no room in hockey for those kinds of moves when the game is 5-0, as it was for him at that time. I hate guys like Ilya Kovalchuk and DiPietro (I've said how they acted disrespectful to Canada in the WJHC's in other threads in this form) and Crosby with overconfident attitudes like that.

BTW, Gretzky had is first Peter Gzowski (I know I murdered the spellin of that name) when he was 10, not 11 ....and you can listen to it on CBC.ca ...it is so eerily amazing to listen to it today, some 30/35 years later.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but Lee...that's what the fans want to see. Do you remember Tiger Williams and riding the stick back in the day? Fans LOVED that...people want to see these kinds of emotions from their players. Now okay, if the score is 5-0, 6-2 or whatever than I can understand not going crazy and toning it down a bit. But the bottom line is hockey needs a spark in the first place, people love watching guys like Ilya Kovalchuk or Sergei Fedorov skating down the wing and putting on solid moves, the game is so dull right now that I don't care how these guys are acting I just want to see them SCORE.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I'd much rather see Modano or Naslund or Bertuzzi instead of Kovalchuk and Fedorov, but that's another thread
Old 12-08-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Apparently Crosby's dad wrote a letter to Ron MacLean. Why he wasn't man enough to write it to Mr. Cherry himself is beyond me. But Cherry backed up his statement on this week's CC.... "what about the goalie and his feelings... being made a fool of on national TV!?" ...he also showed the TSN clip of the Brendan Shanahan interview... Shanny said that he would probably kill the guy next time he saw him look down at the puck behind the net.

Like Cherry said, Crosby probably wasn't thinking about the guy's feelings or the situation at the time... but it was really a dumb move to do, and he also mentioned how he critiszed Kovalchuk for celebrating empty-net goals and other guys like Domi too for doing stupid, stupid things. And, like Don said, "the kid" will only get better if someone tells him, and no one else is brave enough to say it except Mr. Cherry.

Good job.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #6
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Don Cherry took a shot at TIE DOMI? Are you kidding me? I must have missed that one.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:40 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Yup.... one of his buddies.... cbc.ca/hockey has this week's CC online if you want to see for yourself
Old 12-13-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
It was a great goal.... some guy from MSU did it a few years ago...
The guy was Mike Legg.

Quote:
but that was in a competitive game... there's no room in hockey for those kinds of moves when the game is 5-0, as it was for him at that time.
Nah. What Crosby did was ok. It was a good move and it was the other teams defensive breakdown that led to Crosby being able to do that. So in reality it was the other teams fault that Crosby was able to spend that much time back behind that net and do that.

And so what, it was 5-0. It's junior level hockey, not pee-wee. These players are grown up, if they can't handle something like Crosby scoring then they shouldn't expect to ever be playing in the NHL.

If I'm upset about anything Crosby did, I think he could have handled himself better when he was celebrating the goal.

Quote:
But Cherry backed up his statement on this week's CC.... "what about the goalie and his feelings... being made a fool of on national TV!?" ...he also showed the TSN clip of the Brendan Shanahan interview... Shanny said that he would probably kill the guy next time he saw him look down at the puck behind the net.
Oh boo-hoo. The goaltender got beat on a goal. Crosby doesn't have to worry about the other goaltenders feelings and he shouldn't have to.. If hockey was meant to take care of goaltenders feelings than the games would always end up at 0-0. It's hockey.

And if Shannahan would go after Crosby the next time he saw him, he'd be fined, suspended, and mauled by the other team. You saw it when people would go after Lemieux and Gretzky. The NHL will not let their star players be bullied. Especially not if their is a threat on the player.

If Crosby was in the NHL and Shanahan would have made those comments, which I highly doubt, he would have been fined.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:10 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Crosby is still a kid: he is 16 and not "grown up"... just 2 or 3 years above pee wee. He needs to learn these things, and no one else but Cherry would do those sorts of things. Cherry's point was not to protect the goalie in this case... it was to protect the guy's feelings, who is also only 17 or 18. I mean, he's already got 5 goals against him... what is having a show-off goal to top it all off going to do to him?
Old 12-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #10
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

I'm confused.. Are you against what Cherry said or not?

Quote:
Crosby is still a kid: he is 16 and not "grown up"... just 2 or 3 years above pee wee.
That doesn't mean anything.. He's 2 or 3 years away from being in the NHL.

Goalies get all the help they need. You take a look at the pads from the late 80's and early 90's, you can put two of the goalie pads together and you'll get one pad of the goalies in today's leagues..

Quote:
He needs to learn these things, and no one else but Cherry would do those sorts of things.
Yeah. He could use some sportsmanship, but not everyone is like Larry Fitzgerald. Crosby will likely get away with murder because he is so talked about. Not even Lemieux put up the kind of numbers that Crosby has put up in his first year. Of course Lemieux also increased his total points by 100 each year..
Old 12-13-2003, 07:53 PM   #11
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think Crosby is a hot dog. The World Juniors were in Kitchener, Ontario this week and I got a chance to go down and see some of them. I came across Crosby and M.A Fleury in a crowd outside the rink and they were both pretty nice guys. Fleury even stayed around after and signed a few more autographs and talked with the fans.