Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-15-2003, 04:49 AM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Time For MLB To Expand

Since MLB doesn't plan on using a salary cap anytime soon, it seems like a handful of people discuss this topic off-season after off-season. It's time for MLB to expand one way or the other, not adding more teams obviously, but adding the number of teams overall who make the playoffs.

Once you get into a five game series, or seven game series, you always have a chance. It is now time for the men upstairs in baseball to sit down and increase the number of teams that can make the post-season, period. Because there's about three/four teams in the American League East that just may as well write themselves off because you can't expect in a 162 game season, the Toronto Blue Jays to beat the New York Yankees or the Boston Red Sox.

In a seven game series, however, when you can throw Roy Halladay three times, I do see the Jays having a shot. But you have to get there, and in the AL the Wild Card is wrapped up every single year and no matter how good a team plays down the stretch, they just don't make it, and it's silly. Top 8 Seeds in each Conference make the playoffs, do it like the NHL and NBA have it set up. Enough of this garbage.

They wouldn't necessarily have to shorten their season either. It's time to use double-headers frequently also. I'll tell you what, you won't get those injuries anymore with guys flicking sunflower seeds and blowing their elbow out in the bullpen doing nothing else for 4 days. Fans love double-headers, you go out to the ball park and spend the day at the ball park. Players don't like it, but let's be honest here, baseball players have the easiest schedule in terms of how hard they play night in and night out. Limit your long relief guys, and even stretch it out to a six man rotation. It's time for a postitive shakeup for once.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

There are a lot of basebally "traditionalists" who are gonna argue against you, but there are so many good teams... I don't think it would hurt to add a few more teams from each league. I mean, teams 1 or .5 games out of not just a playoff spot, but FIRST PLACE. I mean, .5 games behind 8th is a different story... but to not get rewarded for being .5 games behind 1st... almost perfection... is robbery.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I should say that I am somewhat of a baseball traditionalist myself. I don't want to go around and change the game and how it's meant to be played, nothing like that, but more teams should be making the playoffs. Seattle goes out and wins 93 games last year, and they don't get a playoff spot? That's just one ridiculous example. Boston or New York will win the A.L East, the loser get's the Wild Card spot. So that means teams in the AL Central & Western division only have a shot to make the playoffs by winning their division and that's it. Even though Toronto, Baltimore, Minnesota etc. do such a great job in terms of spending what they can and building good teams, it's almost useless every single year. It is horrible.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Packers3045 is on a distinguished road

which was the last expansion team in the MLB?? Marlins?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:10 AM   #5
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Tampa Bay and Arizona were the last two in 1998.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

With the length of the regular season and the playoff structure that is currently in place bringing the last game of the WS near the first of November, I don't see any way baseball can expand its playoffs unless they shorten the regular season back to 154 games.
Baseball begins its regular season in cold weather in the Northern cities and plays some playoff games in cold weather as well. Unless all teams (specifically those in the Northern Regions -- Boston, New York, Philladelphia, Chicago, Denver) have domes of some sort (preferrably with retractable roofs) any addition to the season will be bad for fans.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:06 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

One plan that has been discussed - and it is certainly not without merit - is to create a second wild card in each league and then have the two wild cards in each league meet in a best-of-three mini-series, with the winners advancing to the division series.

This would give the division winners a first-round bye, and in most cases, it would mean that the team with the best record in its league would get to face a mini-series winner in its division series matchup, thereby increasing the advantage for having the best record in the league (the only exception would arise if the team with the best record in its league and the mini-series winner came from the same division).

This format was used in the NFL from 1978 through 1989, and it worked very well.

And yes, shortening the regular season to 154 games would be quite doable; while I supported the unbalanced schedule when the owners adopted it, they went a bit overboard, as now many non-division opponents in the same league only meet six or seven times. So the eight games that get eliminated would need to be same-division games (and of course if they evened the leagues out at 15 teams each the entire schedule would be much easier to draw up - the players' union is in favor of doing this, but enough of the owners are opposed to it to effectively prevent this from happening any time soon).

Last edited by Anthony; 01-21-2004 at 04:14 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'd like to see a couple of more teams added and some more to the playoffs. Would love to see a franchise in Washington D.C. and one more in the Mid-West or South.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

NO MORE BASEBALL TEAMS!!!

CONTRACTION, NOT EXPANSION, SHOULD RULE THE DAY.

If you want to move teams around, I'm fine with that. But DO NOT expand.

Dave
Old 01-27-2004, 10:09 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

:topic: read the actual posts, not just the title
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:32 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
:topic: read the actual posts, not just the title
Title your threads for what they mean, then....

In my defense, I was responding directly to Keith's call for more teams, but... maybe I should have started from the top.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote