Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default John Edwards Considering Raising Taxes

Mainly on corporations and the wealthy. To help pay for a national health care. I agree with that.

He wants to repeal the law that gives upper income people breaks. I agree with that.

I like the old sin tax too. Raise taxes on cigs and liquor to help fund healthy care in this nation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18387728/
Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
Mainly on corporations and the wealthy. To help pay for a national health care. I agree with that.

He wants to repeal the law that gives upper income people breaks. I agree with that.

I like the old sin tax too. Raise taxes on cigs and liquor to help fund healthy care in this nation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18387728/
Bama! My friend! I agree with everything you've said here. KUDOS!

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

ugh. i was having a good day, too. nothing like insane liberal tax ideas to bring me down maybe edwards can donate to his beloved poor from his "hair fund"? what a tool.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

StealthElephant is on a distinguished road

It sounds good, whats the catch?
StealthElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzle_810 View Post
ugh. i was having a good day, too. nothing like insane liberal tax ideas to bring me down maybe edwards can donate to his beloved poor from his "hair fund"? what a tool.
grizzle,

John Edwards is WILLING to pay high taxes. Can you say the same for rich republicans? Why is a bad thing for a RICH person to WANT to give more to the poor?

Corporations and those who make over $200,000 can afford to feed every person in this country.

You want less crime? You want fewer single mothers? Provide health care and proper education for those who are less fortunate and you will get your wish.

Think Fresh.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Thanks CK Fresh. If Edwards is willing to pay higher taxes that is cool.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

If people feel they are undertaxed, they can always contribute more. I pay what I am asked to and do not chose to support "pork-barrel" spending further. We need to cut the spending on the national level, period.
On the side of tax collections, our daily collections are at record high levels, not just because it is "tax-season", but because the economy is in very good shape. For proof of this, I give you the DJIA and other stock market indicators. They are very high right now as well.
Now I'll put on my professor's hat and explain a few basics of economics and accounting.
First -- who creates the jobs in this country? Is it middle class? Is it the poor (who pay no taxes at all in some cases)? No. It is the wealthy. The top 5% of income-earners pay over 30% of the taxes in this country. Before someone says they have the most, there is a reason they have the most. They know how to make money work for them. Every dollar in wages they pay out brings over $1.50 to the Government through ancillary spending and additional jobs being created to supply their employees with the goods and services they require.
Second -- Corporations really do not pay taxes at all. In the income statement for every corporation, on the expense side of the ledger, is a heading "Taxes paid". Corporate taxes are just another expense and if they were eliminated, or cut, the cost of their products would decrease by a similar amount of money. Corporate taxes are paid by the purchasers of the goods and services provided by that corporation. Raising them sounds really good to those who do not understand economics and accounting, but those of us that understand these disciplines see it as just another attempt to increase costs of goods to everyone.
Mr. Edwards was a very well-paid trial lawyer, one who should have remained in the courtroom. If I were in need of a very good attorney, he'd be on my list of lawyers to hire, but he is very far down my list of potential candidates for the Presidency. His voting record when he was in the Senate was abysmal, he simply did not bother to show up for the vast majority of the votes held while he was in office. His nickname was "Senator Gone", and for very good reason. If he could not be bothered to do the job he was elected to do then, why should I believe he has changed and will do the job of the Presidency?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

And, by the way, giving to the poor is what charities are for. Most rich Republicans give far more to charities than Mr. Gore and Mr. Edwards do (as evidenced by their tax returns which were made public when they were running for office).
The Government is not a charity group according to the founding fathers. The Red Cross, Catholic Charities, St. Jude's hospital, Shriners, and associations for the various diseases, are far better and more efficient than Government for solving the problems of the "poor" in our country, period.

Catman
Old 05-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

catman,

Suplly-side, or trickle down economics just doesn't work. In theory it sounds nice, but in reality it doesn't work.

Reagan and Bush Sr. = Record defecit and bad economy.

Clinton - Record Surplus and good economy.

W. Bush - Record defecit bad economy...

Do you see the pattern?

Think Fresh.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

How is the economy "bad" now, Fresh? Again, I would like a real answer, not more rhetoric.

Catman
Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Have you ever heard of the "middle class squeeze?"

Though employment is on the increase, so are college tuition, property taxes, gas, milk and oil prices, the cost of health insurance and childcare, credit card debt and bankruptcy filings. Owning your own home and a station wagon, knowing you could send your kids to college, feeling secure about a retirement that awaited you; that's what it used to mean to be middle class in America. Today, it's a different story.

The middle class is disappearing. Just because the stock market does well does not mean that the ECONOMY is doing well. Middle class americans are in MORE DEBT, and have LESS spending money than they did 10 years ago.

So sure, your buddies that head the big corporations are doing great, it is the rest of America that is struggling undering the elitest, tax cuts for the rich, system.

Think Fresh.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Fresh, again I ask, how is the economy "bad" right now? Employment is at an all-time high. Tax collections are at an all-time high. Unemployment is very low. Jobs are being created for nearly everyone that wants one.
How is this "bad" as opposed to Mr. Clinton's economy? What made the economy during Mr. Clinton's occupation of the White House better than this one?
All I have seen from you is the same old rhetoric that the DNC spews forth trying to scare people into voting for them, while the truth lies elsewhere.
Please elaborate, using economic terms like GDP, inflation, unemployment, total tax receipts, job-growth, etc. Leave the rhetoric behind. I am not one that is easily swayed by inflamatory statements.

Catman
Old 05-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Fresh, the tax cuts were and are for everyone. It appears that the wealthy get a bigger break, because they pay the vast majority of the taxes to the Government every time. The highest 5% of the incomes pay more than 30% of the dollars to the Government. The highest 50% pay 95% of the taxes. The lowest 25% pay nothing. How is this a tax cut for the "rich" only?

Catman
Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fresh, again I ask, how is the economy "bad" right now? Employment is at an all-time high. Tax collections are at an all-time high. Unemployment is very low. Jobs are being created for nearly everyone that wants one.
How is this "bad" as opposed to Mr. Clinton's economy? What made the economy during Mr. Clinton's occupation of the White House better than this one?
All I have seen from you is the same old rhetoric that the DNC spews forth trying to scare people into voting for them, while the truth lies elsewhere.
Please elaborate, using economic terms like GDP, inflation, unemployment, total tax receipts, job-growth, etc. Leave the rhetoric behind. I am not one that is easily swayed by inflamatory statements.
Ok, you are having trouble understanding my point. In terms of job-growth, and unemployment the "economy" is doing very well. The things that we use to messure the economy only tell half the story however. There are ways to bend the numbers, and create a picture that doesn't tell everything. Sure, employment is up, but how about college tuition? What about the fact that more and more Americans are falling into credit card debt? What about the fact that the "middle class' is shrinking every day.

FDR created the middle class. Ronal Regan and George W. Bush killed it.

Think Fresh.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
The highest 50% pay 95% of the taxes. The lowest 25% pay nothing. How is this a tax cut for the "rich" only?
Where did I say "rich only"? be specific, or apologize.

Think Fresh.