Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Should Favre Step Aside?
Yes 6 46.15%
No 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Question Should Favre Step Aside?

If the Packers continue to lose and rack up say a 1-10 or 2-10 record and fall completely out of the playoff race should Favre step aside and let Aaron Rodgers start the last few games to see what the kid can do? It occurs to me that if the Pack is still at the bottom of the conference come the middle of December that it would be in the best interests of the franchise to get Rodgers some actual game time. It also may help them make a decision on whether or not to seriously consider taking Leinart in the draft if they have the opportunity to do so.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

after reading Favre skipped a practice because he was feeling "lethargic" I'd say yes- let the kid play. This is a team w/ no bright spots and going nowhere. Maybe if Rogers comes in and plays well it gives cheeseheads something to look forward to other then Leinart or Bush next season.

i'll give the Pack one more win: 12/11 vs Detroit
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The thing that will create the controversy is Favre, I believe, is still working on his consecutive starts streak.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
lance21
Sports Enthusiast

lance21 is on a distinguished road

I dont think so, Favre probably, from what Ive read, will be back for one more year, hell, maybe theyll get a salty wr in the draft to go with Walker & Driver.
lance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I don't think Brett will be playing next year no matter what. If Brett is serious about sticking with Sherman he certainly wont be back. As for this year it's all Brett decision noway does he get benched. Should he step aside I really don't think he should as long as his heath isn't at risk.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I don't know if he should, but I think he will. It makes me nervous to play for the future, creates some bad mental habits even though i see the logic
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
If the Packers continue to lose and rack up say a 1-10 or 2-10 record and fall completely out of the playoff race should Favre step aside and let Aaron Rodgers start the last few games to see what the kid can do? It occurs to me that if the Pack is still at the bottom of the conference come the middle of December that it would be in the best interests of the franchise to get Rodgers some actual game time. It also may help them make a decision on whether or not to seriously consider taking Leinart in the draft if they have the opportunity to do so.
Completely agree, doublee. No reason Favre should risk injury if there's nothing to play for. And it's not unlikely that the Pack will hit 1-10 (yikes!). So let Rodgers have a shot and at least get him battle-tested. Who knows? The kid may turn out like Eli Manning.

As far as retirement goes, a lot depends on Mike Sherman. If he gets fired, Favre will retire. It's a given. Favre has already complained about the thought of having to learn a new playbook should another coach step in.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogsong
after reading Favre skipped a practice because he was feeling "lethargic" I'd say yes- let the kid play. This is a team w/ no bright spots and going nowhere. Maybe if Rogers comes in and plays well it gives cheeseheads something to look forward to other then Leinart or Bush next season.

i'll give the Pack one more win: 12/11 vs Detroit
That's exactly what I was gonna say. When I read about Favre skipping practice, the first thing I thought of was "he sounds like he's almost done." He's had an amazing career, and he's not going anywhere with this current Green Bay team.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Some of you may be missing a bit of my point here. The Pack very well could have a shot at a guy like Leinart or maybe even Vince Young if he changes his mind and decides to come out. If, in your mind, these two guys are better pro prospects than Rodgers then it is going to be awfully tempting to consider drafting them. It seems to make sense to me to find out what you have in Rodgers before going into the draft irregardless if Favre plans on coming back or not.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Packers won't have the first pick, and i don't see them drafting Vince Young (if available). So unless the 2-4 teams that will draft ahead of the Pack (i see a mini-resurgence coming agaisnt division opponents) pass on Leinart, there won't be an obvious QB pick in the first round for them. I doubt this will be an issue for the reason of auditioning Rodgers. More like they'll play Rodgers in the out of contention situation just to prepare him for his future role as starter-- not to evaluate him.

If Mike "How'd he do at the combine?" Sherman was still GM, i could see Young, but i think Thompson recognizes a bad fit there for the Pack. Probably irrelevant as he'll be back for another year at Austin.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Favre still has the ability, but he has no help. But I would like to see what Aaron Rodgers could do.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

This Year:
What smack in a face that would be to Favre. There is no way he should let himself sit the bench this year. He has a great legacy, which will only be tarnished by not finishing, what I believe to be, his last year. I say next year, see Off Topic, he just leaves the team and lets Rogers pick up. Now, if the Packers pick up T.O., he should stay in for sure and try and get the Packers headed in the right direction for next season, where he could play and have a good season. I don't think that will happen though, so Favre should just finish the season out and leave.

Off topic:
Favre is still a decent quarterback. But he has such a great legacy and I am starting to feel as though it is starting to get a bit tarnished by this year. Obviously this year alone won't have that big effect on his legacy, but if he has a few more season like this year, it will.

I say that if that Packers don't improve the team, like signing T.O., he should pack up and leave. So much has happened in his personal life, that if he has no hope in the Packers, he should he should pack up and leave next year.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Oh hell yea he needs to step aside. They need to look to the future, at this point Favre is a below average QB.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

If Favre doesn't plan on returning, it would be a nice gesture/ceromonial passing of the torch to let Aaron Rodgers start a game at the of the season. However, as I said before, he shouldn't step aside if he plans on returning next year. My guess is he won't unless they turn it around.

Make no mistake, the only reason they are in games is because of him. Without him, they are worse than the Texans and 49ers.

Then there is the whole issue as to whether Rodgers is even the guy, and whether they are going to get Leinart.

@ blackdogsong: I disagree. There is some talent and bright spots. Javon Walker is one of the top-10 receivers in this league, and Driver is borderline Pro Bowl every year. And look at the vastly-improved defense under Jim Bates. They are in the top half of the league this year, believe it or not.

Regarding skipping practice, where did you read this? I follow my team closely and read nothing about this. Are you sure Favre just wasn't given the practice off? He often gets that to rest. NY Jay 05, you make Favre sound like Randy Moss or T.O. in "skipping practice," sheesh.

@ Ellis: Favre's legacy isn't going to be so easily tarnished. One bad year in his entire career isn't going to change a damn thing. No one refers to that when talking about Dan Marino. Also, his personal issues are behind him. His wife is healthy and I don't think it's an issue anymore.

@ Doug: Below-average? That stats don't back you up. Favre is on pace to throw 30 TDs again and still has a very solid completion percentage and yardage. Just look at who he's throwing to, the lack of a running game, and a poor O-line. None of that is Favre's doing, and he is still one of the top-15 QBs in this league.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know he is ranked 18th out of 31 in QB rating so that would suggest he is performing at a below average level this year and he is on pace for 28 picks.

Yes, Favre did sit out practice on Wednesday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2219068

Favre sitting out a couple of games does nothing to tarnish his legacy. In fact him insisting on playing a couple of meaningless games with his team struggling to win its third or fourth game of the season in the middle of December would do more to tarnish it than preserve. Not to say that it would necessarily tarnish it. Seriously, what left does the guy have to prove. What purpose would be served by him going out there and playing other than boosting his career passing stats?

I would not completely dismiss the idea that the Pack could end up with the top pick. They are currently tied for the worst record in the league half way through the year so there is more than a reasonable chance that they could end up with the top pick.