Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road
Default What an accomplishment for Atlanta!

Braves to Have Sellout Against the Cubs
Associated Press

ATLANTA - Here's a change: The Atlanta Braves will have sellout crowds at Turner Field for the first two games of their playoff series against the Chicago Cubs.
Of course, there were a bunch of Cubs' fans filling the seats.
"Our fans are everywhere," Chicago manager Dusty Baker said before the best-of-five series opened Tuesday night. "Any tickets that haven't been sold, I hope they show up in droves and buy the rest of them."
The Braves have failed to sell out at least 15 postseason games since moving to Turner Field in 1997. This year, they benefited from playing the Cubs, which led to a more favorable television schedule.
Hoping to cash in on Chicago's popularity and surprising success, TV executives scheduled the first two games in prime time, which made it easier for Atlanta fans to attend after work.
Atlanta hasn't sold out any postseason games the last two years, but demand was so strong that 3,000 standing-room tickets were put on sale for each of the first two games.
"I've been asked all week why they don't sell out here," said Cubs reliever Mike Remlinger, who pitched for the Braves from 1999-02. "As a player, it was frustrating. But the fans we had were great fans."
The Cubs set an attendance record this season, though Remlinger wonders how Chicago's fans would react to a prolonged period of success.
"If we won the division 12 years in a row, would we still get a sellout in the first round?" he said. "I'd like to find out."

Hey, congratulations to the City of Atlanta for selling out a playoff game.

:banana:
the thrusting banana denotes sarcasm

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote