Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > Site Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Cool Let it slide...

I think that we would attract more people and have more fun if we let people duke it out here.

I mean, in the end there are not going to be any hard feelings. So why not keep the swearing censored, but let threads with fighting keep going?

Come on mods, even if you don't want tp admit it, nobody likes to see a thread get locked down that people are ripping each other apart on.

It is fun for every one. And it gets more people posting and it gets them posting more often.

I know that I am not the owner or a mod here, but after a year and 4k posts here I have noticed that some fighting wouldn't hurt any one. It is probably healthy

I am not saying that any huge arguments have happened in the past month, but one of the reasons for that is that they get locked down the second somebody says something bad to someone else.

Like spammers and people who post crap why ban them when we could just rip them apart?

like...t13...I hate to bring up the name, but who wouldnt like to see that guy still around here? Sure, he said some crazy and stupid ****, but it adds something.

Ok... I am done.

I was just thinking that that would help the boards so decided to lay it by.

Last edited by Ellis; 09-13-2004 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Ellis, I don't think you read other boards much. Check out the ESPN boards, where it's nothing but the great fights that you talk about. See if any quality remains.

It may not seem like it to you, but the reason this is a high quality boards is because we have a low level of tolerance for crap.

Ripping apart spammers is pointless, because 99% of them never come back (you may be surprised to learn that although we delete their posts, we don't ban the spammer unless he's a serious repeat offender.) All they are interested in are generating traffic and hits for their website, and making a post is supposed to generate that. They don't give a dam about the thread itself, so you might as well rip the wind to shreds.

My suggestion, Ellis, is that you come here when you want quality conversation, and check out the Yahoo or ESPN boards if you are just in the mood to sit back and enjoy some smack-talk. Because the way we run things isn't going to change if I have anything to say about it. It may not seem like it, but it's the reason we have a superior board.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Kevin here ellis.

I think I'm a good example of what Kevin is talking about.

I LIKE TO BELIEVE that I make good logical points with tact and in a non-offensive behavior most of the time, with my occassional " Al Sharpton" personality ( to borrow Kevin's words ) blabbering about things I can't get across, but others have fun picking on me for ( Dave, Kevin, Mike)....LOL. I think for the most part, if people who have been on here for awhile don't like what I'm saying, or get pissed at me, they write it off as " crazy 78 talk" and we move on sooner or later. I'm pretty fine with that. I do have a wife and friends who have to deal with me too, and treat me accordingly...LOL

Most in-fighting in here DOES go for awhile between posters with seniority, so I think that is good, provided we don't get REAL nasty. I know I've ticked off a lot of people and I'm sure everytime Dave sees I've posted something, he approaches it with curiosity and a " let's see what crazy b.s. 78 wrote is" mentality. But if Dave couldn't yell at me for my stubborness, I think the boards would be kind of empty in his heart, right Dave? !!!!!!!!!.....LOL.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:53 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

You ARE a character, Al...hmmm...er...ahhh...I'm mean Buckeye...

I agree tho that just allowing pure nastiness in, while attention getting like a car wreck, only makes posters gunshy about being sucked up in the BS.

While I'm locked & loaded on some sites expecting BS, it's much more enjoyable here not listening to posters turn threads into school yard battles.

But I see Robs point that it "stirs the pot" at times, but it's just like opening Pandoras box. It's impossible to close it again.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:57 AM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I agree Tarkus.

I think the biggest problem ( and it's not like it's ruining the boards) is people in here who post things with no factual evidence or angles to back it up with. Then someone writes " where's that from" and instead of giving a source or point, that person gets defensive and spews stuff. At that point, the thread gets hijacked.

I know I back up all the stuff I say, even if it's from the World Of Insanity, like some on here think I get stuff from, but that's the fun of it really.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 AM   #6
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

I like to see some good arguments (if that's what you mean by fighting) but I've been on the Yahoo boards and watched guys start stupid debates like "Jeff Kent is not a top 10 second baseman" only to resort to calling anyone who argues the point an assortment of vulgar terms.

I personally like heated debates, but only insofar as they are rational ..... where posters use facts and statistics to back up their claim and not name-calling.

Just my humble two-cents on the matter.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-13-2004, 10:52 AM   #7
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
..........., but it's the reason we have a superior board.
Superior........or Stuffy...?

Mods deleting threads without explaining their reasoning to members won't make for a superior board.

Nor will administrators locking down threads when the action gets just slightly......uhhh......interesting.

Banning t13 was a travesty.

I DO hear ya there, Ellis.

The arrogance of that was staggering, really.

His style was raw, his verbiage was lacking, but he was harmless.

He was a character.

Scram kid, ya bug us. *chuckle*

My viewpoint here won't sit well with the suits, I know.

Sheeeeeeeoooooooot........hope this won't get deleted.

I'm sweatin' bullets.

Whatever..........

Old 09-13-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

As Marc said, you should've been given an explanation, but I guess 75 apologies for that part of it aren't enough.

All you do is b**ch lately, poptart. Being a martyr for p*nis-joke posts doesn't exactly make you Gandhi.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #9
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
As Marc said, you should've been given an explanation, but I guess 75 apologies for that part of it aren't enough.
The mod in question has not yet "outed" himself.

I'm still waiting to hear from HIM.

Come out of the closet, Mr Mod.

Quote:
All you do is b**ch lately, poptart. Being a martyr for p*nis-joke posts doesn't exactly make you Gandhi.
If I'm a martyr, it's for reasonably free expression.

Oh well, this is Marc's toy.

I recognize the bottom line.

Guess we're all like that Truman dude......in The Truman Show.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:26 AM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by poptart
Mods deleting threads without explaining their reasoning to members won't make for a superior board.

Nor will administrators locking down threads when the action gets just slightly......uhhh......interesting
Our reasons are clearly stated here (#3, #4, #5, #6 apply to your posts). You agreed to these terms when you signed up here. If you no longer agree, we can terminate your account upon your request.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 09-13-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:41 AM   #11
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by lmanchur.
Our reasons are clearly stated here (#3, #4, #5, #6 apply to your posts). You agreed to these terms when you signed up here. If you no longer agree, we can terminate your account upon your request.
Yeah,.........I see #5.

5. THE ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS HAVE THE FINAL WORD.

Btw, you told me that you saw my thread and let it stay up.

Yeah, yeah........i know,.......you LATER agreed with the "other" in-the-closet-mod's decision to can it.

......after you realized what the real definition of the word "is" is.

My take on it (not that the SCMB heirarcy gives a rat's tail) is that the thread was a light-hearted bit of fun that was completely harmless.

Not only that, Kornflake prolly could have learned something from it that he won't get in school.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:52 PM   #12
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by poptart
Yeah, yeah........i know,.......you LATER agreed with the "other" in-the-closet-mod's decision to can it.
Again, just like when you freaked out on Marc for not replying to your PM within mere hours after messaging him, us Mods aren't here 24/7. The moderator that deleted your thread actually hasn't logged on the boards since then, September 10th. And, he doesn't need a reason anyway IMO. Read the community guidelines. He and most of the moderator team feel that your post explicitlly violated them. Again, if you no longer agree with the community guidelines that you accepted when you joined the board on August 21, 2002, let us know and we can terminate your account. You knew these rules upon joining so you are bound to obey and follow them while you participate in our discussions.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 09-13-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Ellis--

I think we let a lot slide. We let a lot of threads go astray. We allow for the trashing of what other people think to a great extent. Personal attacks are verboden and will remain that way.

I honestly HATE the kind of exchanges you're referring to, Ellis. I prefer to have mostly respectful discussions with folks, and prefer to read such exchanges, as well. I'm not particularly into the insults that follow in unmoderated discussions.

So, I would have to disagree with you.

T13 dragged every thread he was involved in into a morasse of garbage. He was a character we have done well without. He brought nothing to discussions, and wouldn't just go away when ignored. His style was a blight on the boards, imo. Which is why anyone coming along sounding/looking like him usually disappears of their own accord in short order. This just isn't the place for posters of that nature.

poptart--

Perhaps you should just go away. It's pretty clear you're not happy here anymore. There's no need for you to hang around if you're unhappy. There's no membership fee you'd be squandering, no marriage vow you'd be violating, no hearts you'd be breaking.

If you want to hang around, be a good citizen of the community, then great. We would love that.

If you would like to have your account closed, as Lee offered, then great. We would love that.

Dave
Old 09-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Yo, Poptart..

Not to interrupt but who's the guy in your pic with the shiner??
Old 09-13-2004, 04:39 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Would it be rude of me to suggest that I hope it's him?

Nevermind, then.

Dave
Closed Thread