Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > Site Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #46
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Good post, Tarkus.

Ellis has lobbed up over 4,000 posts in this joint.

Yep, the evidence shows that he "cares" about it.

I don't believe that he wants to see a "free-for-all" atmosphere in here.

As I read it, he just wants it to be a bit more lively.

"Conflict" stirs interest. There can be no doubt about that. Every interesting book, tv show, film,.....or successful message board (IMO).....has conflict as a prime element in it's make-up.

This thread is example #1, btw.

Some of ya'll should keep what I've said about conflict in your frontal lobe when you read my posts.

In doing so, you might open your eyes to the fact that there is possibly a method to MY madness.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #47
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Tell ya what Ellis. If you are looking for flaming and what not, hang here for a while:

http://sportsfix.dyndns.org/index.php

Lots of that going on there, as well as backstabbing and infidelity. Used to be a fun place, but now its just turmed into a place to ***** and moan.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #48
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

woah, they got infidelity there?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #49
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Personal attacks and racial attacks should not be allowed, but verbal fights should be allowed, as long as there is nothing below the belt.

Seems like every time there is going to be some people ripping each other apart the thread gets shut down.
Here lies the problem: personal attacks and "verbal insults" are one and the same. Never have we not tolerated heated arguments ... as I've said before, argue facts and opinions, but don't make it personal. It's like PTI, they can get heated and scream at each other, but they don't insult each other or go below the belt. I encourage hotly-debated conversations. However, those like Dave, Kevin, and Lee have spoken well for me on how I want this board to be run. Thanks to them for that.

There are a couple main points here. One, I listen to the suggestions, but I can't be here 24/7 as I have other things increasingly in my life. But when I am here, I'm going to run things the best I can and ultimately try to keep things within my vision for this place.

Bottom line: no one person is above the rules or my vision of this site. Even if someone keeps things "interesting," if they continually violate the rules, they are gone. That is not to say we ban many people -- we don't. In four years, we have only a couple dozen people banned. It's a low percentage. Other people will come along and the evolution will continue.

This site has cost me thousands of dollars to run and thousands of hours, as well, so I hope you can appreciate that because of the sacrifices and work I've done for six years now, I reserve the right to run things how I want. And a lot of my vision is influenced by my experience as a moderator at another, much larger forum. I have experience seeing how other large, successful boards are run, and I modeled this site after that.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #50
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Yup, sure do Doug. I have seen at least two cases on that site where two married people met and cheated on their spouse.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #51
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I guess that no one really got the point other than poptart, habs fan, and maybe tarkus. This thread speaks for itself. This is a heated debate and has generated more posts than most threads ever get. But, heated debates like "Red Sox Suck", "Yankees Suck", "Patriots Suck", and others like that are good for the boards, but just get shut down in the end.

I know that Marc runs and owns the boards, but as a member to the site I am just making a few suggestions. In this board people like poptart get singled out because they are the only people who say what they want to. These people are good for the boards and help add character to the boards.

I am saying that, as a top ten poster, that I have seen what could make these boards better.

You say that you are open to suggestions, but in the end none are ever listened to.

I am just trying to help the boards, but seems as if they want to keep them the exact same when ever they could be changed for the better.

This places seems to be getting dryer by the second and I am just trying to help show you some ways to spice things up a little.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #52
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Maybe we can all agree that if there were to be some "heated debates" or arguments that they are kept within the confines of the topic being posted.

For example, I have no problem with someone arguing that the Montreal Canadians suck. That's an opinion. I will argue against that opinion using facts and evidence. Others may want to argue against the worth of a player such as Saku Koivu. Fine enough.

What I don't want to see is someone posting that the Canadians suck because their fans are all frogs (slang for French-Canadians) or that Koivu is "a crippled cancer victim who NHl opponents pity".

Don't laugh .... these are some of the posts that were thrown around on a Yahoo message board. IT'S THESE POSTS THAT I HATE. They have no place on a message board whatsoever.

This thread I think is an excellent example of how we can have very heated debates ...... without anyone getting hot under the collar.

That said, I'm just new here and I respect what some of the more senior members or adminitrators wish to see.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #53
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

whoa! that sight was a $*%! hole
Old 09-14-2004, 08:32 PM   #54
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Yeah ..... I know. What's worse, when a few posters actually stepped up and told the people doing this that it was cheap and stupid they just started calling us morons and cry babies. I mean, ethnic slurs and making fun off someone because they had cancer ..... real fun.

I don't try to whine about much in life ..... mostly because everyone has their own problems but stuff like this just makes me mad.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #55
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Ahhh, the beauty of the no accountability internet. The place where cowards & ignorant abusers hang out & try to destroy everyone elses good times. Yes, I know it well, Habs Fan...

I've left many a site from the intense BS that the lawless sites allow. It's a shame but if any get on my case, I always remind the "faceless ones" that anybody can be found & to back off. It's worked for me on many an occasion...
Old 09-14-2004, 11:03 PM   #56
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Habs Fan, I think, makes the point as well or better than anyone has to this point, Ellis.

A thread whose basis is to simply say something as inane as "Red Sox suck" without any supporting comments is akin to trolling, which is in opposition to the community guidelines. If you want to explain why the Red Sox suck, then fine. After tonight, I'm inclined to agree. Otherwise, it's just garbage that starts so badly, it needn't live any further than that.

Dave
Old 09-14-2004, 11:16 PM   #57
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

A thread whose basis is to simply say something as inane as "Red Sox suck" without any supporting comments is akin to trolling, which is in opposition to the community guidelines. If you want to explain why the Red Sox suck, then fine. After tonight, I'm inclined to agree. Otherwise, it's just garbage that starts so badly, it needn't live any further than that.
Threads that do have people backing them up get shut down. I have seen threads that are inside the guidlines still get closed down.

And mods on these boards say bad things about other people, which would get other people warned. But you never here any one complain to them.

I am not saying that we should make these boards all it warfare. What I am saying is to let people speak there mind and as long as it isn't below the belt, then what is the problem?

I am going to find some threads, if they havn't been deleted, that should not have been locked, but were. Then maybe we can take it from there.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:24 PM   #58
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Haha, "frogs"... never heard that one before...
Old 09-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #59
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Tarkus, you're scaring me...LOL and BTW, if you ever want to hit the road and do some comedy routines, let me know, I'll be your manager. Your material is gold baby !...LOL.

What ellis calls " heated debate", I call interesting conversation. THAT IS WHY people ( intelligent reasonable ones anyway) post on a thread alot. This thread hasn't been heated IMO, it's been VERY interesting, but I haven't felt someone's blood pressure go up through my monitor in this thread. I've had MANY a heated debate with my brother on historical matters ( both history teachers), but are the conversations interesting? Let's just say no one in our family sticks around to listen to us...LOL. We basically resort to " ah's" and " get outta here" to prove a point. Which, by any historians standards, SUCKS ( to use your word ellis ) to make a point in discussing such matters.

ellis...

How do you know your suggestions aren't listened to? BECAUSE THEY AREN'T GRANTED? There's a big difference there. I listen to many a suggestion running a classroom everyday and rarely do anything someone has suggested, not because I don't listen, but because I'm the final word ! Here, Marc is that final word. I've complained to him on occassion ( very rare) and didn't like some of the outcomes, but oh well, he's the boss. Don't let the door hit me on the....

The problem is ellis, with your " Packers suck" people, which you find interesting, 99% of them can't sustain well thought out, intelligent facts and opinions to back that up in a manner that the VAST majority on the boards, including the powers that be, would find engaging and more importantly, find non-offensive to everyone. If I thought the Packers suck and was an intelligent reasonable poster, I wouldn't post " Packers Suck", I would post a well thought out statistical and opinionated essay on the subject. This is pretty much in line with what Habs Fan is talking about.

I think this thread is symptomatic of the state of tv news today. Everyone yelling at each other, going crazy, ala O'Reilly style. THIS IS NOT HOW INTELLIGENT PEOPLE COMMUNICATE IN THE REAL WORLD. Go to a university, and listen to speakers. Go to your town meeting when they go over the agendas for the week ( I dragged my kids to one when I was teaching about 7 years ago ). Go to CSPAN on the weekends and listen to those authors talk about their books. THAT IS ACADEMIA, NOT JERRY SPRINGER.

I think what we are striving for on these boards is in the minority in popular culture and that is why it's paramount that we keep it that way. Like some of the other guys said, like Mike, if you want trash, you don't have to search too far on the net.

BTW...We all know the Packers don't suck, cause they have Favre. Right Dave?...LOL.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:32 PM   #60
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
I think this thread is symptomatic of the state of tv news today. Everyone yelling at each other, going crazy, ala O'Reilly style. THIS IS NOT HOW INTELLIGENT PEOPLE COMMUNICATE IN THE REAL WORLD. Go to a university, and listen to speakers. Go to your town meeting when they go over the agendas for the week ( I dragged my kids to one when I was teaching about 7 years ago ). Go to CSPAN on the weekends and listen to those authors talk about their books. THAT IS ACADEMIA, NOT JERRY SPRINGER.

I think what we are striving for on these boards is in the minority in popular culture and that is why it's paramount that we keep it that way. Like some of the other guys said, like Mike, if you want trash, you don't have to search too far on the net.
This guy is trailing off of the topic. Can we get him banned for that?
Closed Thread