Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-30-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Exclamation If Cubs, Astros and Giants Finish Tied ...

... is what they would do really fair?

What they would do is rank the three teams based on the results of the season series among them, and give the highest-ranked team the choice of playing the second of two playoff games on the road against the winner of the first such game, or being the team that hosts the first game (and then also the second if they win). The middle-ranked team would then take whichever of these two choices the top team doesn't pick, and the lowest-ranked team would need to win two road games to snag the wild card.

What this ignores is the fact that the Astros and Cubs are in the same division, and would thus finish in a tie for second place in the NL Central while the Giants will have finished second by themselves in the West. Since the wild card is defined as the second-place finisher with the best record, what logically should be done in this instance is to break the tie for second place in the Central first by having the Astros and Cubs play each other, then the winner of that game should play the Giants for the wild card.

Is common sense too much to ask of Major League Baseball in the Bud Selig Era? Apparently it is.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-30-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

The very fact that it's a race for the Wild Card and not for a division crown means that it really doesn't matter who is in which division.

The scenario in place is probably about as fair as it'll get. If there were more time between the end of the regular season and the start of post (only Sunday to Tuesday, mind you), then I would say double elimination round robin. But there's not, so this is it and that's fine.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The thing that does not make sense to me is that the Giants hold the edge head-to-head against both the Cubs and Astros. They were 4-2 against both teams so they should hold the tie breaker in my mind.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

It won't matter. The Cubs seem determined to blow any opportunity at the Wild Card every chance they get.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:31 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by #99
The very fact that it's a race for the Wild Card and not for a division crown means that it really doesn't matter who is in which division.

The scenario in place is probably about as fair as it'll get. If there were more time between the end of the regular season and the start of post (only Sunday to Tuesday, mind you), then I would say double elimination round robin. But there's not, so this is it and that's fine.

The tie-breaking scenarios baseball uses are not consistent because if two teams tie for first place in a division and are also tied with a second-place team from another division for the wild card, the two teams in the same division play first, then the loser plays the team in the other division for the wild card. It would be logical to in effect do the same thing if three teams are tied for the wild card and two are from the same division; and giving the Giants a bye into the second playoff game rewards them for finishing higher in their division - second all by themselves in the West - while Houston and Chicago tied for second in the Central.

And another unfair thing that could have happened (although will not now because the A's won and the Angels lost Thursday) is what would have occurred if the A's, Angels and Twins had all finished with the same record. Minnesota is of course safely in the playoffs, but in that case Oakland and Anaheim would have played off for the AL West title, and the winner of that game would have been deemed to have finished a half-game ahead of Minnesota (since one-game playoffs to break ties count in the standings for all purposes) and the West winner would have played Boston in the Division Series and had home-field advantage while the Twins would have played the Yankees with the Yankees having home-field advantage (the Yankees and Red Sox, of course, can't meet in the Division Series since they're in the same division).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #6
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

The Cubs, Astros, and Giants have 3 games left to clinch a Wild Card. Good luck to all 3 teams.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote