Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 09-29-2004, 01:14 PM   #16
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I am not a Conan fan. I say pick Jon Stewart.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #17
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Bama ..... one problem with Stewart ..... he's too political for most of the audience. Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite comedians is Al Franken because he's funny and intelligent. I'd place Stewart in the same boat as Franken.

Would I like to see Stewart or Franken host the Tonight Show. Yeah, but I don't think the rest of the world would.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:39 AM   #18
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Conan is the best late night talk show host I have ever witnessed, by far. Granted, I never saw Johnny, but I've watched many episodes of all the rest..
Dave just isn't funny anymore (was he ever?)
Leno is not bad, I do like the guy but Conan has that mad crazy comic genius thing going... used to be a writer for the Simpsons... you can see his brain going a mile a minute and you have to be somewhat sharp to get all his jokes, which I like for the same reason I love the Simpsons and Family Guy.
He also is very secure and makes himself the butt of jokes very frequently (which no one else really has the guts to do).
Conan has that wacky crazy style of humor you expect from people like Jim Carrey and Robin Williams, who just happen to be two of my favorite comedians, and I am extremely happy for him to get this.

HOWEVER, lately i have picked up a subtle 'I'm getting burned out' vibe from Conan..... he's too much of a mad scientist to do the same thing every night, and i can see it wearing on him.
Will he still be ready to take over the Tonight Show in 5 years?
I think so.... he'll find the right combination of drugs
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:42 AM   #19
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

I have also noticed a trend of Conan tending to appeal more to the younger audience(s).... so if you don't like Conan---- you're too old!!!! hahhaha

seriously though, look at the posts on this thread, and ask any younger person who their favorite late nighter is.... go ahead... I'll wait... *twiddles thumbs*
Old 09-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #20
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm an older member, and Conan's my favorite. I just liked him better when Richter was with him.

I tend not to watch any of them very much, though, anymore. My late night hours are spent watching NFL Network or playing PS2 or writing.

Dave
Old 10-01-2004, 01:22 AM   #21
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

LOL Dave if you're still playing PS2 and watching Conan, you're not old.... I don't care what your driver license says

(at least that's what I keep telling myself.... as #30 throws rocks at me from around the corner.....)
Old 10-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #22
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

Conan is one of my favorite late night hosts. Conan will be fine once he goes to the 'Tonight Show'.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:08 PM   #23
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Until 2009, Conan's fans will have to:

[high-pitched voice] "Keep cool, my babies."

The real issue here is CBS: Letterman isn't going to last forever, and Kilborn left. In a word, they are screwed...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #24
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

When was the last time CBS won that slot, though. It's been a long time since Letterman beat Leno, if my ratings knowledge is relatively current. (And it likely isn't.)
CBS may be willing to cede the spot. Maybe they'll return to running more adult-oriented dramas in that slot the way they did in the long, long time ago. (I'm at a loss for what those dramas were off the top of my head... although I think one of them was called "Wiseguy". I'll have to research this.) Or, they could throw in with HBO and sanitize some of HBO's better stuff and rebroadcast it the way that TBS is with "Sex & the City," or the Comedy Channel did with the "Larry Sanders Show. "

Or, I bet Bill Mahr would be happy to return to network late night. It's a steady job, anyway, till you say something mildly moronic...

Dave
Old 10-01-2004, 05:00 PM   #25
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Yah, I was right. Wiseguy was at least one of these shows.
I could be wrong about its airtime, but I'm pretty sure it aired after the local news at 11p. My dad fell in love (uh, in the non-homoerotic way) with Kevin Spacey from this show, though oddly, KS doesn't appear in the actors list on imdb.
Whatever, CBS could return to living life dangerously and actually produced stuff that is good, instead of forcing Pat Sajack-alikes down people's throats, or re-running Survivor episodes (which almost seems the more likely route, if they can't find anyone to fill, with a modicum of legitimacy, a Late Night talk show spot.)

Dave
Old 10-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #26
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

on second thought I have to give John Stewart some props, in all fairness... I watched his late night show semi-regularly until they cancelled it, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I still say Conan for the spot, but I aint mad at Johnnie..
Jimmy Kimmel, however, is exactly in the middle, just a few hairs ahead of Letterman. He's right there with Carson Daly; not bad, but not great.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:53 PM   #27
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm not sure Maher can get back on any one of them Dave for his comment on the hijackers. Kind of sucks though, I like him alot. Out of anyone on tv, I agree with him the most on his politics. His HBO show is ok, but I find the repeat guests to be kind of stale. Gotta get some new blood in there.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:08 AM   #28
greeper
Sports Enthusiast

greeper is on a distinguished road

i'm hoping the wheel johnny carson out to take over.

if not, bring back will shriner.
greeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:28 AM   #29
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

For a dry, Nixon-loving conservative I kinda like Ben Stein. I enjoy watching his show "Win Ben Stein's Money" and after watching him in Celebrity Blackjack he's got a dry wit but pretty sarcastic to boot.

He probably would not be a good fit for the mainstream audience that the Tonight Show performs to. He just seems worth mentioning seeing how we're all talking about comedians who are pretty funny.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys

Last edited by Habs Fan; 10-05-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:42 PM   #30
grapeape
Rookie Player

grapeape is on a distinguished road

I say get Aresenio.

he'd probably take the job for next to nothing.

he might even do it for room and board.
grapeape is offline   Reply With Quote