Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Yankees 7 50.00%
Twins 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2004, 08:12 AM   #31
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

As soon as the pitching coach went to the mound and left Nathan in, I said, "this game is OVER... Yankees are gonna win." And they did I have a soft spot for both teams... the Twins 'cuz they always operate on tight budgets, and though the Yankees always win on the big budget, I like seeing those kinds of teams (or players, e.g.: Tiger Woods) that just always come to the forefront when the time is right.

Once again, Jeter comes up with the game winning run on a FABOULOUS run from 3rd. I'm not gonna highjack this thread and if someone wants to talk about it again, let's start a new one, but anyone who says he is overrated just has to look at how clutch he was last night once again, getting on base to start the inning and then getting the winning run.

Game 3 should be great!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #32
Grubbs_MN
Rookie Player

Grubbs_MN is on a distinguished road

I am a huge twins fan and I want them to win more than anything, but I think for the twins to win this series against the yanks, they have to do it in the next two games at home. A game 5 in NY would be bad and a clutch team like the yankees that have such an intimidating ballpark can beat a young twins team easily. I do agree it will be a GREAT series. I just hope the twins end up on top this time.
Grubbs_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #33
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Wow what a game. Funny thing is I got the same feeling when Torii Hunter hit the home run as I did when David Ortiz hit the home run in the 8th inning in last year's ALCS Game 7, I knew everything was going to work out all right. A tremendous comeback win for the Yankees and hopefully the series will end in Minneapolis with the Yankees on top.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #34
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

I won't give up on the Yankees. The Yankees in 5.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #35
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Like I said before, Twins are in the 3 man rotation. Santana tomorrow night, and Radke in/if a game 5.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #36
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleReign009
Like I said before, Twins are in the 3 man rotation. Santana tomorrow night, and Radke in/if a game 5.
Is dominating Santana or lucky Santana going to show up tomorrow? I'll guarantee you that Santana needs to bring his best game this time around, he got very lucky Tuesday night. Radke was less than impressive in Game 2 and he'd be facing Mussina in a Game 5. Mussina pitched well enough to win in Game 1. The Twins will have to pitching advantage in Game 4 while the Yankees have it in Game 5.

Last edited by Alex; 10-08-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:35 PM   #37
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Alex, I have to agree with you about the pitching matchups. The Twins need to win with Santana (I'm not as concerned about which one will show up -- he'll be just fine). Radke is capable of beating anyone, as is Mussina. That should be a great matchup.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:35 AM   #38
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is dominating Santana or lucky Santana going to show up tomorrow?
You've got to be kidding me. He hasn't lost since July, and you think the "lucky" Santana will suddenly appear twice in 5 days? C'mon, man.....

Just be ready for a Game 5....
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:24 AM   #39
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
You've got to be kidding me. He hasn't lost since July, and you think the "lucky" Santana will suddenly appear twice in 5 days? C'mon, man.....

Hey, I didn't expect "lucky" Santana to ever show up in this series. Santana will also be pitching on three days rest for the first time in his entire career. However, after what Josh Beckett did to the Yankees the last time a guy started for the first time on three days rest in the play offs, I will not give the Yankees any advantage.

I'm ready for Game 4, so are the Yankee bats. This game comes down to whether Vazquez can keep the Yankees in the game. Vazquez has had his great games this season. Hopefully he has another one ready for today.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:28 PM   #40
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
No need for that. My prediction was spot-on, the Yanks win in four losing only once to Santana.

Bring on Boston!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #41
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am still trying to figure out why Santana only goes five innings in that game. He seemed to be pitching well and it is not like he had piled up an alarmingly high pitch count.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:54 AM   #42
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Gardenhire wanted him to be ready to go early in the Red Sox series. Also, the Twins bullpen has been stellar all season. Unfortunately, this was not their best series.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:24 AM   #43
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
Gardenhire wanted him to be ready to go early in the Red Sox series. Also, the Twins bullpen has been stellar all season. Unfortunately, this was not their best series.
The Yankees were good against the Twins' bullpen all season. The series at Minnesota back in August, the Yankees had one game where they feasted on Nathan. When I was at the doubleheader on 9/29 the Twins' pen had another subpar effort and blew a lead. Interesting how Gardenhire would save a guy for the next series when you're down in the series you're currently in. Regardless of who's in your bullpen, sans Rivera and Gagne, why take out the probable AL Cy Young winner?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #44
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

That is the most idiotic excuse I have ever heard. It is pointless to save Santana for Boston when you are playing an elimination game in the LDS. You can't manage for next week when there may not be a next week if your team loses today. I am not sure which is a dumber move Grady going with Pedro last year when he was clearly gassed or Gardenhire taking out his ace when he clearly still had a lot left with the season on the line. Stupid, stupid move in my opinion.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:18 PM   #45
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
That is the most idiotic excuse I have ever heard. It is pointless to save Santana for Boston when you are playing an elimination game in the LDS. You can't manage for next week when there may not be a next week if your team loses today. I am not sure which is a dumber move Grady going with Pedro last year when he was clearly gassed or Gardenhire taking out his ace when he clearly still had a lot left with the season on the line. Stupid, stupid move in my opinion.
Minnesota did have a 5-1 lead when Gardenhire took Santana out. I guess he didn't get the memo that the Yankees hit the Twins' bullpen pretty good.