Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Astros 8 66.67%
Braves 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #16
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

You know today is the first Game One start that Clemens has ever won.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:35 PM   #17
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Brandon .... good point although I'd argue that neither of these teams are what they were the last time they met. Atlanta's pitching staff isn't what it used to be. Add to that the addition of Beltran and Clemens, plus Lidge's emergence as a top closer and you've got a different make-up on both sides of the diamond.

That said, the Braves have a good enough club and they've been here before so it would not e out of the question for them to stage a miraculous three game sweep. Do I think it will happen? No. Is it possible? Sure.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:45 PM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the thing with the 'Stros is their pitching if very top heavy. After Clemens, Oswalt, and Lidge who else do they have that scares anyone? Problem being this is a best of five which tends to help out a team like Houston who really only has two reliable starters.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #19
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Habs Fan
Brandon .... good point although I'd argue that neither of these teams are what they were the last time they met. Atlanta's pitching staff isn't what it used to be. Add to that the addition of Beltran and Clemens, plus Lidge's emergence as a top closer and you've got a different make-up on both sides of the diamond.

That said, the Braves have a good enough club and they've been here before so it would not e out of the question for them to stage a miraculous three game sweep. Do I think it will happen? No. Is it possible? Sure.
Yeah, thanks, I belive the same thing that's why I put the sarcastic smiley after my post. These teams are not the same.

I just have a hard time believing the Astros are that much better (or at all) than the Braves.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #20
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

As a whole I don't think the Astros are that much better it is just that Clemens and Oswalt are that much better than anyone the Braves can run out there. They kind of remind me a bit of the D-Backs team that won the Series a couple of years ago. Two stud starters and just enough everywhere else to get by in the playoffs.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:58 PM   #21
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Unfortunately Brandon, most of us think of the Braves for what they used to be ..... the most dominant pitching team in the league period. At least that's what I'll always remember about the Braves.

Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz were all awesome in their prime. Now, I don't know if the Braves have a dominant starter and as someone posted already (in this post or one of the others .... it's a 5 game playoff). So a dominant starter or in this case two, can do a lot of damage for a team.

Who knows 2-0 Astros in the bottom of the 6th. Long from over yet.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 10-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #22
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the Braves did lead MLB in ERA this season.

Wow, what is Garner thinking bringing Lidge on in the seventh? And, the Braves just blew that opportunity.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 PM   #23
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Two opportunities actually ..... they had Smoltz on 3rd with two outs and JD Drew, one of their best hitters and he got K'd by Lidge.

Looks like an exciting game so far.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:39 PM   #24
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Great game, I kind of figured ATL would win once they got Lidge out of there. It is pretty much a crap shoot with the rest of the 'Stros pen. This is what I love about October.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #25
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Agreed, great game indeed. I don't know which one was more exciting to watch, this one or the NY-Twins game last night.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #26
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

This was an awesome game. I missed the 2 runs the Braves scored in regulation because of a dentist appointment. But I was here to see the walk-off homerun.

That's something that can turn series momentum around in a hurry. Hopefully that's exactly what it did.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:23 PM   #27
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Today's game was more exciting, to me anyways, watching Smoltz and Lidge going head to head for two plus innings was awesome to watch. I thought Garner was nuts for bringin Lidge on in the seventh inning but he sacked up and made it through the ninth. Smoltz was huge for the Braves today and almost scored the winning run in the ninth after he led off the inning with a base hit. He made it to third before Lidge whiffed Drew on three pitches.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:34 AM   #28
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

I think Garner ... besides trying to protect the lead .... wanted to get Lidge some postseason experience prior to returning to Houston .... at least that's what one of the announcers on ESPN alluded to.

It does make some sense ..... particularly when you consider that he's a rookie when it comes to postseason play and only in his 2nd? or 3rd? year in the majors.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:26 AM   #29
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

I believe the this series is going to come down to five games and the Astros should pull it off.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #30
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

HUGE WIN TODAY...I was holding my breath there near the end...some C-L-U-T-C-H hitting by Drew with 2 outs in the 9th against Springer whow was dealing good and some good pitching by Smoltz to get the DP.

And for a third year in a row, we go to a Game 5 in Atlanta in the NLDS. Hopefully we'll be 1 for 3 when we come out.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote