Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Paterno may finally be planning to step down

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1926698

It would be a classy move, the right move. I'm glad he finally is coming to his senses. Him going out on his own terms is what he deserves.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

yea whatever its not all his fault what is going on there, they dont do anything next year either
Old 11-20-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Gohawks
yea whatever its not all his fault what is going on there, they dont do anything next year either
Time the put you in your place, 37-13 Penn State beats Michigan State. Let me remind everyone that this is the same MSU team that hammered Wisconsin last weekend 49-14. Folks, Penn State is (coming) back. I was skeptical about 2005 leading up to the Indiana game but as strange as it sounds, that goal line stand last weekend may have been the play PSU needed to put the comeback in motion. Keep in mind that it was a goal line stand, "The Stop" against N.C. State, in 1967 that began Penn State' success for the next 32 years (I wrote a paper for my english class about it). Penn State and Auburn are the only teams in the nation to have allowed 21 points or less in every game this season. Penn State returns nine starters on defense. Today showed that the offense has potential. 2005 could be a special season if everything clicks.

Last edited by Alex; 11-21-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

That win yesterday was the worst thing that could have possibly happened to Penn State because now JoePa is going to stay there longer. He needs to leave now before he brings the program even farther down from where he got it to.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereyes33
That win yesterday was the worst thing that could have possibly happened to Penn State because now JoePa is going to stay there longer. He needs to leave now before he brings the program even farther down from where he got it to.
Yesterday's game wouldn't have made the least bit of difference as to whether Paterno came back or not, he was going to be back regardless. I'd much rather go into the offseason with a 4-7 (2-6) record coming off a blow out win than a loss of any kind.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

Alex just because you're a Penn State fan doesn't mean that you think Paterno should come back. Come on, Paterno is in late 70's and I think coaching isn't the best for him. Lou Holtz recently resigned at SC. I don't care if Penn State won yesterday's game or about this year's record. Paterno needs to do the right thing.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

What exactly is the right thing in this case? Just winning games?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by BaseballFan1
Alex just because you're a Penn State fan doesn't mean that you think Paterno should come back. Come on, Paterno is in late 70's and I think coaching isn't the best for him. Lou Holtz recently resigned at SC. I don't care if Penn State won yesterday's game or about this year's record. Paterno needs to do the right thing.
I didn't say Paterno should come back. My point was that winning or losing the Michigan State game was not going to make a difference on whether he came back or not.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #9
FMHornet
All-Star Player

FMHornet is on a distinguished road

He needs to step down, I think PSU needs to go in a different direction
Old 11-24-2004, 11:19 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

JoePa's not going anywhere folks- deal with it. I learned to and I'm a PSU fan. Would I like to see him step aside? Yes. Will he? No and Spanier, Curley and the BOT don't have the balls to tell him it's time.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:44 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I'm not so sure its them not having the balls.

They still reach their financial goals from their alumni and still bringing in a ton of cash. If they force JoePa out and then they lose like this? Maybe not. Forcing Paterno out makes little sense.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:57 AM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
I'm not so sure its them not having the balls.

They still reach their financial goals from their alumni and still bringing in a ton of cash. If they force JoePa out and then they lose like this? Maybe not. Forcing Paterno out makes little sense.
Doug, I assume you are a PSU alum, what's more important to you- winning football games and being able to visit places like Florida and Arizona for bowl games around Christmas or having a legendary head coach, ruining his legacy with every losing season where victories over Indiana and Michigan State incite joy? The fans are already speaking, Beaver Stadium wasn't even near soldout for the Northwestern and Michigan State games, there were only about 100-101,000. While that's still an impressive number, it's not up to what was expected when the expansion was built.

Penn State fans are loyal, we both know that, and that has had something to do with alumni and fans hanging on through the difficult times. There has been hope for winning seasons, especially this past season. Penn State had the nation's 9th ranked defense. Of course that doesn't help much when you have the 110th ranked scoring offense. The only teams worse than Penn State in that category are Utah State, Duke, Maryland, Mississippi State, Washington, Central Florida, Kentucky and Arizona.

As the losing continues, the fan support will dwindle. It wouldn't surprise me if there were only 100,000 at the opener against South Florida and the following games against Cincinnati and Central Michigan. I doubt there is a sellout unless the team is 5-0 or at the very least 4-1 going into the Ohio State game. The first two Big Ten games are at Northwestern and Minnesota.

I don't want to see Joe "forced out". I'm getting at the administration taking Joe aside and telling him he has one season to turn it around or he "retires" and his "succession plan" takes place. If Joe were willing to give full control of the offense to Galen Hall like he has done with the defene and Tom Bradley, as well as fire his dumbass son Jay, Penn State could be a 7-8 win team in 2005. Anything less than 3-0 in OOC play will be unacceptable.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:30 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I don't mind the losing, really. I think the relationship between Paterno/students at this point exceeds all of that.

One thing about the expansion...the suites are all filled, which is where the money is being made. The expansion seats that aren't being filled right now were just put in to get that attendance number up for the big games.

Like I said before, they're still going to make a ton of money nomatter how bad they are, as long as Joe is there.

Say Paterno left tomorrow and then they had three losing seasons? They certainly won't bring in as much money as they would with three Paterno losing seasons. Right now getting rid of Paterno AND losing is a nightmare situation for them. And BEST case scenario is winning with Paterno.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
I don't mind the losing, really. I think the relationship between Paterno/students at this point exceeds all of that.
How do you not mind losing? That's a rather asinine statement. Nothing ventured is nothing gained. Is it better for Paterno and son to run the program into the ground, eventually drive the fans away and make the head coaching job undesireable? You're the first Penn State fan I know of that seems to be able to not mind losing. Even the Paterno apologists I know want to win again. Seems rather sad if you're willing to except losing. Have you gone along with Paterno and lowered your expactations? Should we be satisified with three and four win seasons?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
How do you not mind losing? That's a rather asinine statement. Nothing ventured is nothing gained. Is it better for Paterno and son to run the program into the ground, eventually drive the fans away and make the head coaching job undesireable? You're the first Penn State fan I know of that seems to be able to not mind losing.
I'll just say that I don't think you know many true PSU fans if I'm the first one able to not mind losing.

Quote:
Even the Paterno apologists I know want to win again. Seems rather sad if you're willing to except losing. Have you gone along with Paterno and lowered your expactations? Should we be satisified with three and four win seasons?
I never said I don't WANT to win again.