Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road
Default Smith's contract expires at end of season

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Smith's contract expires at end of season

Associated Press
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Emmitt Smith's contract with the Arizona Cardinals expires after their season-ending game Sunday against Tampa Bay.

The 35-year-old running back was mum Thursday on whether it would be the final appearance of his record-breaking, 15-year NFL career.

"When you get to 34 and 35, you have to evaluate how your body feels after you get done playing a season," Smith said. "My decision will come after the season is over with."

Smith had hinted he would like to play another season, but just how many teams would be interested in him remains to be seen. Arizona coach Dennis Green sidestepped the question of whether Smith had another season in him, with the Cardinals or someone else.

"You know, I haven't thought about that," Green said. "We'll just take a look at the whole context of everything."

Smith will play his 226th NFL game on Sunday, more than any other running back in league history. He needs 132 yards against the Buccaneers for his 12th 1,000-yard season. That would be the most he has gained in a game in his two years with Arizona.

Smith has averaged 3.6 yards per carry this season, with a team-high nine touchdowns. His 868 yards in 2004 raises his NFL record to 18,286.

"I think Emmitt had a solid season," Green said. "Injuries started taking their toll at the end, but I think he's tough enough to battle his way through them. I imagine he's always probably done that."

Smith said last week he believed he has failed his mission with Arizona because he didn't get the team to the playoffs. The Cardinals are 9-22 in Smith's time on the team.

But he listed other accomplishments when asked about it Thursday.

"I think I've brought some leadership," he said. "I think I brought in some professionalism that I feel like I carry. I think it kind of has its way of trickling down to other people, as well."

Smith believes he erased the perception that he was finished, that in his words didn't "have much left in the tank."

"I think the players in that locker room understand what kind of player I am, what kind of person I am, and what kind of competitor that I am," Smith said.

He got a call on Tuesday from Darren Woodson, his teammate on three Super Bowl championships with the Dallas Cowboys. Woodson told Smith he was retiring.

Smith called the conversation "pretty shocking."

"The thing that hurts the most is when you come in the league and you grow with players and spend 13 years with a guy, with an organization," Smith said. "You see players come and go, and as they go, a part of you goes with them.

"I don't quite understand how he feels, but I do know my time is coming. How soon? I don't know."
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
treddy28
Rookie Player

treddy28 is on a distinguished road

yea....

but if im the eagles, id sign her for fun so she can give the eagles leadership and help out young buck and kanye west
treddy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What would the Eagles want another 5-foot-9 scatback for? They will be going after either Anthony Thomas or LaMont Jordan this spring. And Correll Buckhalter (I assume that's who you mean by "young buck") is finished - name me one running back in NFL history who has ever done anything after suffering season-aborting injuries in training camp twice in a three-year span.

Not only that, but the Eagles will also be looking to land one of the free-agent wide receivers, so they can - at long last - show their own version of Ralph Branca and Bill Buckner (Todd Stinkston) the door.

So they don't have the cap space to give signing Emmitt Smith even a thought.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-11-2005 at 04:50 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
treddy28
Rookie Player

treddy28 is on a distinguished road

i was jus jokin about smith btw a

and for ppl who havent figured it out (anthony did)

young BUCK - BUCKhalter
kanye WEST - WESTbrook
treddy28 is offline   Reply With Quote