Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default What Would You Change in America?

If your had full authority to change anything in the US what would it be:

1.Place additional 10 cent tax on all cigarettes and alcohol to help poor people pay for their medical care.

2.No public demonstrations allowed by non-US citizens in this country.

3.Welfare would be cutoff from unwed mothers who have more than one child. In other words keep those legs crossed.

4.Much higher tax rate on the very rich and no income tax for people making $15,000.00 OR LESS PER YEAR.

5.Additional U.S. Troops to guard our borders with Mexico. If found crossing the border illegally you could be shot. Try crossing the border in China without permission.

6.More drilling would be allowed in Alaska, but BP must clean up that mess with the pipelines first.

7.Cuba would be our 51st State.

8.If you have ever been convicted of a drug or violent felony you would not be able to play sports in the pros or college.

9.American Idol would be banned and Simon imprisoned for life.

10.Actors or Racists like Mel Gibson would not be allowed to star in any movies until they agreed to attend Sensitivity Group.

I will post more later I know u can't wait.:lol:
Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256
If your had full authority to change anything in the US what would it be?
A few important changes =>

1. I would render the current tax code void and institute a universal Flat Tax immediately... Said Flat Tax would mean that everyone who is a citizen equally pays 10% of earnings in taxes (local, state, and federal). Said imposition of wage-earner Flat Tax would mean that local, state, and federal portions of that 10% would have to be re-evaluated by the government.

2. The IRS would function only to verify that citizens paid their equal and fair 10% of earnings (gross); those not filing returns would be notified that their names are being forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service for deportation. Anyone determined not paying their fair 10% of tax would be arrested and deported.

3. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers would be immediately tasked to begin construction of north/south border barriers; federal prison and detention facility contractors would offer expertise on razor wire use and barrier emplacement. Where impractical for cement/wire full-height barrier, non-traditional barrier emplacement would include electrical deterents.

4. I would mandate the educational requirements of all secondary/high-schools in America to offer an NRA-certified firearms instruction class to all students and make passing said firearms training courses part and integral to core curricula.

5. I would mandate the educational requirements of all secondary/high-schools in America to offer an National Geographic Society (NGS) sanctioned instructional geography class to all students and make passing said geographic courses (U.S. and world) part and integral to core curricula.

6. I would require that the Line Item Veto given state-governors for budget approval be extended to the Executive Office for budgetary discretion.

7. I would overturn Roe. v. Wade and make abortion a crime equitable to premediatated murder.

8. I would eliminate all federal and state preferential treatment, minority designations, affirmative action, employment, and race designations and make all federal and state, education, employment, and hiring programs equal for all citizens regardless of any race, sex, age, or handicapped status.

9. I would notify that world that its days of bad mouthing this nation are at end. Starting immediately I would curtail all humanitarian and grants of aid of any kind and each program would be re-reviewed and re-authroized to only those international countries that have paid and fully satisfied their prior debts to this nation for prior aid. All new humanitarian aid programs for new applicants would need proper financing and equity placed in escrow.

10. I would notify the commercial media the state and federal governments will no longer allocate Fifth Estate access in public buildings. Media access will be granted outside the White House gates on a daily basis and Governor's mansions on a weekly basis. Daily press briefings will be digitally delivered externally via cable access only.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

1. I would make hunting of humans ok in designated areas, like Yellowstone Park, and during certain seasons, like winter.

2. I would make it a federal crime, punishable by castration, to cut through traffic on the highway without using your turn signal.

3. I would disban the FCC, but increase the ACC.

4. Easter, Christmas and Mother's Day are out...Flag Day, All Saints Day and Holy Family day are the new commercialized holidays.

5. I would outlaw the picking and distribution of beets. They are disgusting and I don't know a single person who likes them.

6. I would require a weight test before a person can take their shirt off in public. Some people do not look good without a shirt on.

7. I would make newscasters wear funny hats. The news is pretty depressing, I think a funny hat would make things better.

8. I would blow up canada. Those damn canadians are always bragging about their accomplisments, and Jim Carrey. **** those guys. Let's just get rid of Canada once and for all. Is anyone really going to miss it?

9. I would require that everyone start believing that size really doesn't matter.

10. I would make it illegal to be a total ****ing dumbass on a message board.

-RB
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Guys those are very good posts and ideas, especially making it illegal to kill humans in Yellowstone Park.

In the Net I liked your Army Corp of Engineer idea and about overturning Roe versus Wade.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet
A few important changes =>
2. The IRS would function only to verify that citizens paid their equal and fair 10% of earnings (gross); those not filing returns would be notified that their names are being forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service for deportation. Anyone determined not paying their fair 10% of tax would be arrested and deported.
You want to deport tax cheats? Or are you only talking about immigrants who cheat on their taxes? Assuming you mean all tax cheats, where are you suggesting we deport the US-born tax cheats? Someone would have to agree to take them. Perhaps we would pay another country to take them in. Who did you have in mind?

Whomever it is, they couldn't criticize us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthenet
9. I would notify that world that its days of bad mouthing this nation are at end. Starting immediately I would curtail all humanitarian and grants of aid of any kind and each program would be re-reviewed and re-authroized to only those international countries that have paid and fully satisfied their prior debts to this nation for prior aid. All new humanitarian aid programs for new applicants would need proper financing and equity placed in escrow.
Yeah! D*mn ingrates! I hate these countries who will take our money and build schools and hospitals, buy food and medicine, and then not adequately kiss our a** when speaking of us with the rest of the world! It's just like if I criticize my mortgage banker, they revoke my mortgage. One of the chief problems of the world, in so many ways, is that those who have less are not sufficiently reverential of those who have more. The key part of this rule is that, while aid grants are re-reviewed and re-authorized, that the aid is suspended. EVERYONE'S guilty until proven innocent!

More important than babies getting medicine, is we get our RESPECT, you hear? WE ARE THE G*DD*MN GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD AND IT'S ABOUT TIME EVERYONE REALIZED THAT AND TREATED US LIKE THE GODS WE ARE!

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

I agree with just about everything on here.

Especially these:
Bama-2,8,9
ITN-2,3,7,8,9
Noon-1,2,3

But Noon, I like beets. Pickled beets the most. We also need Canada for hockey and it is beautiful there.

Bama I usually agree with almost everything you post but I don't think people who make more money should have to pay a higher % on their taxes. I just don't think people should be punished for being successful. A 10% tax for everybody. If everybody is paying 10% than the rich will still be contributing more.

I think we should also try to find a way to keep businesses from going to other countries so we can be more self reliant. I good start would be to get rid of most unions. There was a time that unions were needed but now they are just making people lazy and greedy.

I also think it should be made well known to those citizens of the U.S. who love to bash the U.S. that it is a free country so they can leave anytime they like since it is so terrible here. There are few countries in this world that offer as many opportunities as we do. It's not a perfect world and of course we have problems but doing nothing but bad mouthing everything the U.S. is involved in does not help. IMO.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I'd make you all spell Color the correct way(Colour) and reverse the way you do dates like the rest of the world i.e. 08/14/06 would be 14/08/06

Oh and a geniune 3 party political system would be nice.

And I'd force you all to like soccer, especially Sue.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If your had full authority to change anything in the US what would it be:

1.Place additional 10 cent tax on all cigarettes and alcohol to help poor people pay for their medical care.
So, aren't you actually just scaring those people you want to help away from two of the biggest things that cause them health problems. Cool. Not sure that's what you intended, but whatever. (The wealthy don't give two hoots about paying an extra dime for their cigs and liquor.)

Quote:
2.No public demonstrations allowed by non-US citizens in this country.
Hmmm... I have a comment, but I'll hold my tongue.

Quote:
3.Welfare would be cutoff from unwed mothers who have more than one child. In other words keep those legs crossed.
The guiding moral light of Chinese sounding economic policy.

Quote:
4.Much higher tax rate on the very rich and no income tax for people making $15,000.00 OR LESS PER YEAR.
I'm not going to pretend to know what the tax rates are at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the current tax code assures that folks who make more than your $15K ceiling end up paying no taxes. (Hence the tax refund... Federally, I think that # is around the $32K for a family of four)

Quote:
5.Additional U.S. Troops to guard our borders with Mexico. If found crossing the border illegally you could be shot. Try crossing the border in China without permission.
Because China is a model for human rights and border control. I was just thinking the other day, I wish America was more like China. We'd get along better with them if we were...

Quote:
6.More drilling would be allowed in Alaska, but BP must clean up that mess with the pipelines first.
I would allow limited drilling in Alaska with the following caveat: all profit made from oil extracted from Alaska must be donated to ACTUAL research into renewable energy sources. Actually, make that all profit time five.

Quote:
7.Cuba would be our 51st State.
Poor District of Columbia. They actually want to be a state. Sometimes.
And what of Puerto Rico.
Could we please start with territories we actually possess, Keith? Would 54th or 55th on Cuba be acceptable to you?

Quote:
8.If you have ever been convicted of a drug or violent felony you would not be able to play sports in the pros or college.
I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. You've screwed up enough in your life, right, Keith? Would you prefer that any/all doors to your getting yourself right be closed? Of course not.
Do we need better education for these kids? Abso-bleepin'-lutely. But we shouldn't force them to continue to be thugs and hoodlums because the one thing they're passionate about is closed off to them because they made one terribly awful choice in their past.

Quote:
9.American Idol would be banned and Simon imprisoned for life.
My wife wouldn't like this, but I wholeheartedly support this.

Quote:
10.Actors or Racists like Mel Gibson would not be allowed to star in any movies until they agreed to attend Sensitivity Group.
Why? Let them make their movies and let the public respond to their idiocy by not giving them money. It's a free market, isn't it?

Oh, wait. I forgot. You're taking your cues from China. I forgot.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I thought Keith was taking cues from China, only to have ITN five or six-up him.

I especially like Items Nine and Ten, ITN. Talk about making sure the peons never know the truth about anything.
I suppose you'd also start limiting the types of searches you could run on the internet.

About your ...... idea regarding firearms: let's just skip this idea of making it part of high school and simply create a termed and conscripted army. Everybody has to join the armed forces for two to three years immediately upon completion of receiving their drivers' licenses. Or something arbitrary and dumb like that, anyway.

And I love this line item veto horsecrap. Personally, I like the idea of the line item veto, but it's been ruled unconstitutional.

Oh, wait, I forgot! You've dashed the Constitution. Please excuse me.

It boggles the mind just how frustrated and tyrranical some people can be...

My ten things are coming, but I want to actually consider this for a while.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I really have 1 change. Flat tax. That, and make me Supreme Poobah Over All The Land. And yes, that is the official title.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
WE ARE THE G*DD*MN GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD AND IT'S ABOUT TIME EVERYONE REALIZED THAT!
That's the first time I have ever agreed with Kevin... way to go man... come over on the side of the Lord!

Good post nonetheless... bravo!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Lots of support here for the flat tax. Here's my problem with it. I think it's basically the same reason why we don't have a flat tax.

If you make $25,000 a year, 10% of that is a lot more meaningful, and needed, than if you make $2.5 million a year.

Personally - your mileage may vary - if I were TAKING HOME, oh, say, 100 thou a year or more, I just wouldn't feel like I could b**ch about taxes anymore, no matter how much they were taking from me. Too many people (I know, because I was one growing up...and my parents weren't even crackheads!) scramble just to pay rent, buy groceries and those necessities (where a medical emergency or serious car problems seriously derail you financially), for me to whine about how much the gummint is taking out when I'm well-off regardless. Some people need to get some perspective and gratitude.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 08-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
Lots of support here for the flat tax. Here's my problem with it. I think it's basically the same reason why we don't have a flat tax.

If you make $25,000 a year, 10% of that is a lot more meaningful, and needed, than if you make $2.5 million a year.

Personally - your mileage may vary - if I were TAKING HOME, oh, say, 100 thou a year or more, I just wouldn't feel like I could b**ch about taxes anymore, no matter how much they were taking from me. Too many people (I know, because I was one growing up...and my parents weren't even crackheads!) scramble just to pay rent, buy groceries and those necessities (where a medical emergency or serious car problems seriously derail you financially), for me to whine about how much the gummint is taking out when I'm well-off regardless. Some people need to get some perspective and gratitude.
Or at least have to walk thru a ghetto once in their life. And I'm being generous there by only requiring that....
Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

One thing I would change in America:

1. Force George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Anne Coultier, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, etc. to do humanitarian work in Iraq and the Darfur region of Sudan........

That's it.......
Old 08-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Hmmm...seems to me George W. Bush already is.

Anyway, here's my list:

1. Maintain our presense in Iraq, and reduce it as the Iraqi people can take on more and more responsibilities for themselves.

2. Put much more pressure on Middle Eastern (and funny short Korean) dictators economically and diplomatically. Also, support the revolutionaries of these countries more. (Especially in Iran.)

3. Every high school graduate must pass a U.S. civics test. We have higher standards for immigrants comming into this country than we do for high school students. This test will include founding documents, founding ideas and the ideas from Europe and elsewhere that inspired them, and U.S. History. This test will be pretty hard, but students can retake it until they pass.

4. Although I'm not one for censorship, I would love to see every single reality tv show on the air banned. These are the things destroying our society, not Howard Stern. It's sad teenagers (especially girls) look to these idiots as an example of how to act. (Since I realize the free market will have its way, my actual number 4 is to slash the FCC budget.)

5. Abolish the income tax altogether. The Founders had it right. Sales tax will replace it, along with a luxury tax on high-end items, and probably an estate tax on estates valued at like 2 or 3 million or higher.

6. Luckily, those taxes won't have to be very high, since the Federal government will return to its intended role...a very small one.

7. Abortion is made illegal, civil unions are in. (Mass-hysteria grips the nation!)

8. Business owners who hire illegals are punished SEVERELY. No more patty-cake with these people. They are the source of the problem.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure more are on the way...

Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; 08-16-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Closed Thread