Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Good points LA Sports. I also enjoy your in depth posts.

So what's the big deal that I'm actually a Chinese supporter.:lol:

They do have some good ideas. I don't want to form a communist nation or have a dictator. I just want someone that uses common sense to solve problems

It's not wrong to have some tough laws. Let's say we starting shooting people that crossed our border illegally. It really is a big deal. Sure a few would die, but in the long run it would almost stop illegal immigration.

I don't want people to die. But we can't afford to put them in prison and we just won't create the right laws to stop them. I rather have 20,000 troops on the border than shoot people.

We have to stop the flow. We all will have to speak Spanish in 20 years if the flow doesn't stop. Good for me I already speak Spanish.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #17
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

If I ruled the world, ev'ry day would be the first day of spring. Every heart would have a new song to sing. And we'd sing of the joy every morning would bring

If I ruled the world, ev'ry man would be as free as a bird, Every voice would be a voice to be heard. Take my word we would treasure each day that occurred.

My world would be a beautiful place. Where we would weave such wonderful dreams. My world would wear a smile on its face. Like the man in the moon has when the moon beams. If I ruled the world every man would say the world was his friend. There'd be happiness that no man coud end
No my friend, not if I ruled the world. Every head would be held up high. There'd be sunshine in everyone's sky. If the day ever dawned when I ruled the world
Old 08-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #18
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

OK Ellis that is a little bit too graphic.:lol:
Old 08-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #19
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Ellis, Sam Pickwick called.

He wants his world back.

-RB
Old 08-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #20
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis
If I ruled the world, ev'ry day would be the first day of spring. Every heart would have a new song to sing. And we'd sing of the joy every morning would bring

If I ruled the world, ev'ry man would be as free as a bird, Every voice would be a voice to be heard. Take my word we would treasure each day that occurred.

My world would be a beautiful place. Where we would weave such wonderful dreams. My world would wear a smile on its face. Like the man in the moon has when the moon beams. If I ruled the world every man would say the world was his friend. There'd be happiness that no man coud end
No my friend, not if I ruled the world. Every head would be held up high. There'd be sunshine in everyone's sky. If the day ever dawned when I ruled the world

FREEEEEDOM!!!!!

Question Ellis. Do you shoot lightning bolts out of your arse?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #21
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'd abolish college temporarily and make everyone who turns 18 work on a farm, in a factory, or join the service for at least 4 years with no help from anyone. Then you can go to college if you wanted to.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #22
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Your definitly not alone in your sentiments there, buck.

From Churchill's 'My Early Life':

When I am in the Socratic mood and planning my Republic, I make drastic changes in the education of the sons of well-to-do citizens. When they are sixteen or seventeen they begin to learn a craft and to do healthy manual labour, with plenty of poetry, songs, dancing, drill and gymnastics in their spare time. They can thus let off their steam on something useful. It is only when they are really thirsty for knowledge, longing to hear about things, that I would let them go to the university. It would be a favour, a coveted privilege, only to be given to those who had either proved their worth in factory or field or whose qualities and zeal were pre-eminent. However, this would upset a lot of things; it would cause commotion and bring me perhaps in the end a hemlock draught.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #23
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I would make InTheNet pay to post....
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #24
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I willingly admit I stole that directly from Churchill Ricky...LOL. I reread a little bit of My Early Life a few months ago.

I'm more anti-college in my thinking though. This has to do with the modern adaptation of it...of course. As my buddy has told me a few times...

"College is where those who think logically and have a strong work ethic go to die."

And he's a major figure/prof in the history department at Youngstown State. I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #25
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
I'd abolish college temporarily and make everyone who turns 18 work on a farm, in a factory, or join the service for at least 4 years with no help from anyone. Then you can go to college if you wanted to.
Thank you 78. Maybe then people would appreciate their job more, rather than thinking they are too high and mighty to do anything. (dealing w/that situation at work right now. :redhot: )
Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #26
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Tell me about Mike.

This really is a sore subject with me. It relates deeply with my political/social beliefs.

College is just a continuation of the entitlement mindset that we've embraced. Oh it's a barometer of intelligence. I'll give you that. The more degrees/college you got...the dumber you are in "real life" situations. My experience there of course.

The two smartest/most understanding/ability to read situations people I ever met in my life:

1. a high school drop out
2. GED after dropping out 10 years removed from senior year

And the winner of the people who I can't stand to deal with cuz they ain't got a clue on how to wipe their own arses...

-school administrators (complete with the PhD).
Old 08-16-2006, 11:11 PM   #27
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'm going to post ten things later, but want to post on this college thing.

Quote:
The two smartest/most understanding/ability to read situations people I ever met in my life:

1. a high school drop out
2. GED after dropping out 10 years removed from senior year
While there are certainly smart high school drop outs and GED folks out there and I absolutely applaud them for that, I think it is nutty to think that on the whole this set of people are the two smartest/most understanding/ability to read situations people in the world. There are amazing people that drop out of high school. Amazing people dropped out of high school, amazing people got their GED 10 years removed. I'm not trying to deny that, but to think that on a whole college is a detriment just simply isn't the case.

There are so so many folks that dropped out or only got their GED that have and continue to destroy their lives. I sat in court rooms of a major US city all summer and one huge common underlying thread of Violation of Parole, repeat small time offenders that just can't get their lives together is that they fall into the two categories that you mentioned, buckeye.

Like I said, I know there are people who make it that fall in those categories, buckeye, but it's not the norm. Not to the point where you can use those people to back up a call for folks not to go to college.

Quote:
So, basically, you would have everyone who turns 18 do what it is they're going to do for the rest of their lives (work), rather than go to college? What exactly is the point/reason or benefit to that? It is certainly not for life experience because they're going to be doing that for their entire lives. (ok not the service, but if someone were given your choices and weren't going to join the service under the current college system, they're not doing it under yours...)

Why should people spend 4 years of their lives doing what is an eventuality when that 4 years is going to take away from those people finding out what they want to do with their lives. It just doesn't make sense. I can understand the argument that college is a waste of time, to some degree, I think it's completely misguided, but I can understand the argument being there. It's just that in what you've thrown out there, you don't replace it with anything better.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #28
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Probably too far off to come to any kind of middle ground Doug. Sorry for the trouble.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #29
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Try to explain it to me. I mean, do you honestly think that the norm is that folks that are high school dropouts and GED warriors are smarter than those that go to college? It's a more wacky concept than anything InTheNet has said...by about a million degrees, and he has said that it's OK to rape a stripper because she's a stripper.

If you wanted to say that there are rare cases of high school dropouts that surpass the average college student, fine, but I don't think that is what you're saying...
Old 08-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #30
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
It's a more wacky concept than anything InTheNet has said...

Uh oh...dems fightin' words....