Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-04-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default LSU barely escapes

Well, there is a reason i picked Auburn to win the west. LSU looked horrid tonight, and the offense was non existant until the prevent D allowed 60 yards in the last 2 minutes.

Memo to Oregon State: you may want to look into another kicker. 3 missed EPs, the last of which lost you the game in OT. And you might want to go over the rules with your players. They don't need to carry the ball off the field w/them after they score.

The officiating really helped LSU in OT. 2 huge holding calls against the OSU D allowed them to score that last TD.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, it would be nice if LSU would go up to Oregon and play them, but chickens&%^$ of the SEC don't do that kind of stuff.

Officiating helped huh Mike? God bless the grits, banjos, and home cooking. I loved it when Gottfried himself said in the OT, " we have an SEC ref crue tonight". Well, no sh#&. You think an SEC team is going to venture out of the south, or not play with an SEC crue? And Gottfried is a Confederate himself.

Give OSU credit. They challenged themselves.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

One of the worse choke-jobs I've ever seen... maybe the biggest one. THREE extra points???

Yea, the officiating was iffy near the end. Two calls on OSU's defense, but no-call on Webster falling on the OSU receiver.

LSU third-best team in the nation? Hoo boy...

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

On the 1st holding call in OT. How the hell was the OSU guy holding when he was laying on the ground? Piss poor officiating, no way should LSU have won that game.

It can't all be blamed on the officiating though. OSU handed them the game on the last series in regulation. That spread defense killed them.

Suddenly, I'm worried about South Carolina more than LSU.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The officiating late did seem at-best, iffy.

Still, Oregon State seemed tired on defense late in the game. The defender closest to LSU's #80 gave up, even though he had ten yards to close and make the tackle.

On South Carolina: why on earth were idiots like Ivan Maisel and some other folks talking upset special for Vandy? I appreciate that Vandy is potentially better this year than they've been for a while, but, come on. South Carolina, for good or ill, will always have the better football athletes on 20 of 22 positions...

Dave
Old 09-04-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dave, i think you and I are the only ones expecting South Carolina to fall flat on their face. Everyone but me and you have picked them to finish behind UT in the SEC East.

Maybe they thought Vandy would have home field advantage. The only problem w/that scenario. The home team must have more fans in the stands than the visitors.

Should be a tough game for UGA next week. They (UGA) didn't exactly look stellar today, and SC always plays them tough. W/Odell Thurman out, the Dawgs could be ripe for the picking.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:28 PM   #7
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

i didn't see the 1st half of the game, but could someone tell me this, WHY IN THE WORLD WAS JUSTIN VINCENT NOT GETTING TOUCHES, ISN'T HE A HEISMAN CANIDATE, DID HE GET HURT, WHAT HAPPENED. He couldn't of been hurt b/c he was in the game, They had this big qb controversy while all they really had too do was run. Does Oregon State all ofa sudden have a great run-Defense.

odds on that kicker hanging self by the end of tonight...
I'd say about 4-1 (seriously)
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Its pretty simple really. They did try to run the ball in the 1st half, and OSU did a pretty good jog of kicking their offense's butt all over the field. Vincent did nothing tonight. After a few series, it became very obvious that LSU will miss Matt Mauck a lot more than what they thought, and they can't pass the ball. All OSU had to do was put 8 in the box and kill the run.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:53 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
odds on that kicker hanging self by the end of tonight...
I'd say about 4-1 (seriously)
SERIOUSLY.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:45 AM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I don't think that South Carolina is that bad, Mike, it's just that they have an impossible task.

I was wondering what the deal was with LSU's rushing game, too, gconn. I think I saw LSU run the HB all of twice, and then I understood. They COULD NOT get anything more than a yard or two, ifthat far.

Bill Swancutt, already something of a name, had an outstanding game on hte OrSt D-line. If he can keep it up, he'll be an Outland trophy finalist.

Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 04:11 AM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Oregon State taught us what Northwestern did earlier in the week. Kickers are important. They will either win or blow games for you, but not neither. We've had discussions in the past about, when starting a team, what should you try to build around or make a strength the quickest? Invariably, people say O-line or a defensive unit, but I think I may want (if I'm starting a new franchise) a great kicker. We may suck, but we will score every time we get inside the 35, and our opponents won't have many opportunities to run back kickoffs. Not a bad place to start. I think certain college and pro teams are dismissive about kickers (you only need one and they are supposedly a dime a dozen) to their detriment.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Right there with you on the dismissiveness of some folks regarding their kickers. Which is what made the Nehlen era at WVU somewhat special. The kickers he had didn't all make the NFL, but they were successful at the college level.

Paul Woodside, K
Rick Superick, P
Tom Vanderjagt, K
Todd Sauerbrun, P

Just a couple names I can think of off the top of my head.

Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Just ask FSU about crappy placekickers and how they can burn you. Bowden would possibly have two more National Titles if not for kickers shanking very makeable field goals.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

"Rick Superick?"

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:09 PM   #15
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Ohh baby! LSU coming to Auburn in 2 weeks. I cannot wait. I've already got my ticket and I will be on those goalposts when they come crashing down. LSU will win next week against arkansas state i believe, but it is going to be crazy on The Plains in 2 weeks and Auburn is going to make a statement by going to 2-0 in the SEC and sitting in the driver's seat of the SEC West.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote