Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-02-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Phillies Fire Bowa

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1893528

While I can't argue Bowa didn't deserve to be fired after the expectations placed on the Phillies this year, he is Ed Wade's scapegoat in this. As long as Wade is making personnel decisions the Phillies will remain in the sorry state the organization is in.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Not surprised this happened it has been bubbling under the surface for awhile now. There was a pocket of the Philly media that said it was not Bowa's fault that Wade put together a team that had horrible chemistry. The thing of it is thought Coaches/Managers like Bowa who are screamers and hard-asses with their players either have great success or fail miserably. It will be interesting to see who they bring in.

Pitching Coach Joe Kerrigan is also rumored to be on his way out the door.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

With all the money the Phillies spent on players, they needed to make the playoffs to save Bowa's job. He may catch on with another organization.
I wouldn't want to manage in Philly, but I'm sure they'll find someone soon.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I might take the chance on Art Howe if I am the Phils solely because Rick Peterson is his pitching coach and the Phils have a ton of young pitching prospects for a guy like Peterson to work with. Peterson has a pretty good track record with young pitching talent just look at what he did with Hudson, Mulder, and Zito in Oakland.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

Can file this under "didn't see that coming". Bowa isn't very well liked and is the perfect scapegoat.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The Phillies are bringing in the wrong players if Bowa is too "tough" for them. Seems they care more about making money than winning a World Series.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Actually, from what I have heard it is the younger players on the team that don't like Bowa and the vets like Thome and Millwood actually like playing for the guy.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Disagree with the firing. More of a PR move. Bowa still managed 85 wins out of team that plays in AL East (Braves, Marlins) despite all the *****ing, injuries and inconsistency. And let's not forget the media who called for a championship or his head.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:13 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Phillies just finished with back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 21 years, and moved up from what used to be called the second division into the first division (today the second-place teams that did not get a wild card are the only non-playoff teams that receive a share in the postseason Players' Pool; the top five teams in each league did so when the leagues had 10 teams and the top four did when they had eight - this formed the original basis for the concept of the "first division").

A few decades ago this would have meant a hefty raise and/or a contract extension for Bowa; but in this day and age, it got him fired.

We've come a long way, all right - but which way?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:34 AM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Ed Wade's just firing Bowa to try and save his job. The bottomline is that he had to convince management that Bowa was ****ing up HIS players, rather than him not giving Bowa players. While Wade has been a more than capable off-season GM, he has been weak when the trade deadline comes around.

Plus, the Phillies had way too many injuries in that starting rotation to contend. They refused to bring up Gavin Floyd until September...which was a joke.

They need to get rid of Joe Kerrigan. The pitchers lost any faith in them LAST season and they expected things to be right this year? Unreal. Kerrigan apparently got into a physical altercation with one of the pitchers this season and had several verbal throwdowns with Brett Myers.

If they were to get Art Howe it would be one of the worst moves possible. Howe is a complete inept joke.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:16 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
While Wade has been a more than capable off-season GM, he has been weak when the trade deadline comes around.
You sound just like my brother, who lives in South Jersey.

Who knows? Maybe Selig will reinstate Pete Rose and he can manage the Phillies next year!:goof:

Last edited by Anthony; 10-03-2004 at 08:43 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I disagree with most of you actually. I place most of the blame on Bowa. It seems to me he didn't have a good hold on this team this year, and his act did nothing but hurt this team.

I'm not giving Ed Wade a get out jail free card. But the man did a pretty good job getting the players in the offseason, although I agree with Doug, he could have probably did more in-season to help the team. There's no reason this team didn't do more with the talent they had.

BTW, Rick Peterson won't be leaving NY with Art Howe. Sounds like he's going to stick around, which is the first right thing the Mets have done personnel wise this year.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:15 PM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

If Art Howe moves to Philly, I can see Rick Peterson coming with him. They work well together and could help the Phillies young pitchers a lot.
I agree that if he stays with the Mets it will be one of the best things that organization has done in a long, long time.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:04 AM   #14
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
The Phillies just finished with back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 21 years, and moved up from what used to be called the second division into the first division (today the second-place teams that did not get a wild card are the only non-playoff teams that receive a share in the postseason Players' Pool; the top five teams in each league did so when the leagues had 10 teams and the top four did when they had eight - this formed the original basis for the concept of the "first division").

A few decades ago this would have meant a hefty raise and/or a contract extension for Bowa; but in this day and age, it got him fired.

We've come a long way, all right - but which way?
That's an excellent point. I think that in this day and age, it is all about results "now." I also find it interesting that they fire Bowa in the midst of Philly actually playing pretty decent over the past month. Sure, they didn't make the playoffs ,but they didn't roll over, either.

I guess this is up to debate.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Word is that Don Baylor, Grady Little, and Charlie Manuel top the list of potential replacements for Bowa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1897165