Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Astros 8 66.67%
Braves 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road
Exclamation NLDS 1 - Astros vs. Braves

Post your thoughts here.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

I think Astros in six ..... they've been red hot entering the playoffs and unlike the Braves have been playing under pressure for the last two months.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Astros in 5 also...

They seem to have a feeling they can't lose & Damn if it's not shakin' out that way....

Edit: cuz I lost my mind

Last edited by Tarkus; 10-05-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 AM   #4
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Sorry folks .... I now know that the series is only best of 5 so I say Astros in 4 ..... Russ Ortiz will win his start and that's it.

Expect Clemens and Oswalt to dominate and well Lidge ...... probably the best closer in all of baseball at the moment. 151 K's in 90 something innings with a 1.90 something ERA ..... what Smoltz used to be.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 10-05-2004, 01:25 AM   #5
Brandon
is lurking...

Ortiz isn't even in the rotation at this point. They're going with a three man if everybody proves healthy with Byrd and Ortiz in the bullpen.

I'll post my thoughts here tomorrow...
Old 10-05-2004, 01:37 AM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

LOL, HF...

Talk about following like a sheep.You said 6 & I said 6.We need sleep...lol
Old 10-05-2004, 01:42 AM   #7
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Brandon .... I heard this evening that Ortiz was going into the rotation. That said, I haven't found anything on the internet that would suggest this so you're probably correct. Though, I thought the Braves would start him.

Especially when you consider that he's 5-2 with a 2.94 ERA against the Astros in his career. Also, he's got more playoff experience than probably any other Braves starter.

Only time will tell if this is a good move for the Braves.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:49 AM   #8
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

I just read that Chipper is having problems swinging a bat. While I think that he'll make it, I also think that if Chipper can't go, then the Braves are in big trouble. While he isn't the same one-man-wrecking crew that Bonds is for the Giants ..... he's certainly a key piece to Atlanta's playoff hopes. With the way that he was swinging the bat over the past month or two, they need him to stay in the lineup. Especially against the Astros potent offense.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:57 AM   #9
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Habs Fan
Sorry folks .... I now know that the series is only best of 5 so I say Astros in 4 ..... Russ Ortiz will win his start and that's it.

Expect Clemens and Oswalt to dominate and well Lidge ...... probably the best closer in all of baseball at the moment. 151 K's in 90 something innings with a 1.90 something ERA ..... what Smoltz used to be.
Russ Ortiz isn't planning on starting, FYI. Plus, the Stros can't win in four if Ortiz has a chance at starting, barring injury.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Diceman, as I already posted (see above), I heard that Ortiz was starting but later recanted that belief because I couldn't find anything on the web to support this so I rest my case.

Sure the Stros can win in four ....... the TV report that I saw that on indicated that he would start game 3. So if Houston won games 1, and 2, lost game 3 to Ortiz, they could win game 4.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:39 AM   #11
Brandon
is lurking...

Russ Oritz right now is the replacement for John Thompson in case he can't go in Game 3 because of the bad back. Which right now sounds more like 50/50.

As for Chipper, it sounds like he's making good progress from Saturday. True he can't swing, but he's got today, the medical personell are focusing on him, using all sorts of treatment. I would expect to see him tomorrow. But yes, that is a serious blow for the Braves if it keeps him out.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:32 AM   #12
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Astros have all the momentum comming into this. They might blow the Braves out here.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Astros in 4.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:07 PM   #14
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

It's official ....Russ Oritz is listed as the starter for game 4 ...... if the Braves make it that far.

Pretty impressive effort for the Astros so far ..... 8-3 bottom of the eigth. Similar to Santana last night, Clemens wasn't his best .... but good enough to keep the Atlanta bats at bay while the Astros beat up on Wright.

If the Astros hold on today, tomorrow could get tough for Atlanta with Oswalt on the mound.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:16 PM   #15
Brandon
is lurking...

Ouch.

Of course last time the Braves met the Astros. They lost the first game and then swept the next three...

Just a thought.