Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 12:08 AM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Malone Spurns Lakers

Well, it sounds as though Karl Malone will not be suiting up in a Lakers' uniform this season after all. According to Malone's agent Karl is furious over negative statements made by Kobe, both publically and privately, about Malone in recent weeks especially after Malone was so supportive of Kobe last season and sacrificed a lot of money to play in LA last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1940902
Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Once again, Kobe has chosen to lead with his ego instead of his head. There was absolutely no reason for him to comment on the Malone scenario. A smart man wouldn't have burned that bridge.

I especially like the comment where Bryant states "They are here giving me 110 percent." Not giving the Lakers, Rudy T, Buss, the fans, etc. 110% but "ME".

I swear, the strongest part of Bryants body is his neck....from holding up that huge head of his....lol
Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 AM   #3
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Malone is another victim. Hopefully he goes to the Clippers and totally kicks the crap out of the Lakers on saturday.

All these guys that Kobe's ego kicked out all tried some way to suport Kobe.

Derek Fisher: Always supported kobe. Supported Kobe through his rape case, he stood up for Kobe when he got his ass kicked by reggie Miller and Chris Childs, supported Kobe throughout his stupid "Me, Myself, and Kobe" career, always positive. Now Derek is rotting in Goldenstate because they don't have a coach, nor they have a systim to play under.

Shaquille O'Neal: From Kobe's rookie season till last season, Shaq has tried to be supportive of Kobe. When Kobe aired hose 3 consecutive 3 pointers in his rookie season, Shaq went to him and told him "don't worry about it, your gunna be something special." Kobe drove Shaq away

Gary Payton never was bitter against Kobe...he's gone, and most likely because of Kobe.

Phil Jackson, because Kobe didn't like the system. First of all, the world doesn't revolve around Kobe, and second all, that sme system won 9 NBA championships, and got Kobe 3 of them. Kobe would have none without Shaq and Phil.

Now Malone.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 AM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Shawndo, doesn't it at some point get difficult to defend Kobe?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 12-08-2004, 02:40 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Amen, Kevin....

The shame is that Shawn's another example of someone who stands up for Bryant with nothing but good intentions but will end up like the rest who have tried......Worn out by the effort & feeling run over by the constant re-occurring selfishness by His Airheadedness.....
Old 12-08-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

well I just read the news this morning and was going to start a thread on this, and how disappointed I am with Kobe's blunder.

I will have to do some more research because this utterly makes no sense to me why Kobe would say that. I mean Karl's timetable for a decision was after the new year. I could understand this comment from Kobe MAYBE late in January if Karl was still silent, but right now all it did was piss off Mr. Malone, and he had good reason to be.
Karl stood by Kobe and had his back when Kobe needed it, and for Kobe to say that without thinking about the consequences was very disrespectful to Karl, and also a really really stupid move. We could have REALLY used Karl Malone this year!!!!!

I am just disgusted. Tarkus you may be right there...
Old 12-08-2004, 05:05 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good to see you are not going to defend this comment by Kobe. More and more evidence that Kobe is/was the problem and he is a headcase.

In regards to Malone, it would be worthless for him to play for the Lakers as he isn't going to win a title and is much more than a role player at this stage in his career. I say hang 'em up...

Last edited by Marc; 12-08-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Good to see you are not going to defend this comment by Kobe. More and more evidence that Kobe is/was the problem and he is a headcase.

In regards to Malone, it would be worthless for him to play for the Lakers as he isn't goint to win a title and is much more than a role player at this stage in his career. I say hang 'em up...
My question is did Kobe really not understand how that statement would affect Malone? or does he really not want Malone on the team this year.. possibly thinking Malone might have a higher chance of getting injured and not as able to fit into the running offense as Odom.
If that is the case and he would rather have Odom starting than Malone, dude.. Kobe.. put down the crackpipe.
There's just no good reason for Kobe's statement... it's either incredibly stupid, incredibly stupid, or incredibly stupid. As the most die-hard Kobe fan that I know, I am completely disgusted.

Karl, you deserve a championship.. go jump in with Duncan and I'll be cheering for you.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:12 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Here is my thing Kobe has absolutley no room to talk about the spectre of what Malone will or will not do and how it affects the psyche of this team. Especially after the Kobe circus that happened last season with possible jail time looming over the horizon every time he took a flight out to Colorado for another hearing. Not to mention the lurch it left his teammates in wondering if he would make it back in time to play that night. Talk about a hyppocritical statement. Also, I tend to agree with what Jim Rome said there has to be more to it than just this radio interview. Something else had to have gone on behind the scenes and this was just the last straw.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

yes, there has to be more to it...
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 PM   #11
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

I'll hold off before I go blasting Kobe as I normally would. I believe there has to be more to it as well. Kobe has yet to learn that there are some things you just don't say, especially if you are one of the faces of the NBA and there is always a mic under your chin. MJ had to learn this as well but after a while became a little too PC. But if he could learn to deal with the idiocy of Rodman surely Kobe could have found a way to smooth things over with the Mailman.........That is if he really wanted to.
until I'm Tiger dead
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Kobe was probably worried that Malone was going to steal his thunder in February when he came back the Lakers suddenly started looking like a contender. :lol:
Old 12-09-2004, 01:29 AM   #13
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Kobe seriously is a problem to the Laker franchise. It's like a curse has been put upon the Lakers and the only way to rid the curse is to lose Kobe. But I don't think the Lakers will be smart enough to do that. Mitch and Buss are swinging off of Kobe's nuts like Tarzan and King Kong. Ever since the beginning of the off'season, I knew Kobe would turn the Lakers into a complete utter joke.

The Lakers need to clean house. Trade Kobe Bryant for Allen Iverson and Dalembert. Have Mihm and Dalembert become the black n white twin towers. Trade either Odom or butler for a point guard like Carlos Arroyo. Get Butler to become the superstar. Butler has potential to be an all-star/superstar

C: Samual Dalembert - Slava Medvedenko
F: Chris Mihm - Brian Cook
F: Caron Butler - Jumaine Jones
G: Allen Iverson - (why did they trade Rush)
G: Carlos Arroyo - Chucky Atkins
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Old 12-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #14
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Clipps, this 'utter and complete joke' of a team, as you say.. just about defeated the powerful Suns last night, and I'll bet are going to show your Clippers a repeat of their last encounter this Saturday. So as much as you love to get carried away with the Kobe hate... save it. Oh and by the way- KB has posted 2 triple-dubs in the last 2 games

Back on topic: while I still do NOT support Kobe's original statement, it is nice to see he came out quickly and semi-apologized. ALSO worth noting here is that this situation also would make a VERY CONVENIENT excuse for Malone to back out of his "I will only play with LA" statement, and use his final year or two to continue chasing the ring, possibly with San Antonio or Miami.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Excerpts from Chad Ford's latest column on ESPN.com that are kind of interesting:

"It's not really fair to hold it over the guys' heads that are here," Bryant said. "The guys that we have here are working hard, practicing hard every day. It's kind of tough for them to be looking over their shoulder, wondering if he's going to come back and then everybody is going to disappear.

"It's really not fair for us to sit around and speculate how long this is going to go on. I mean, you can't sit up here and speculate for the remainder of the season whether or not he is going to come back. I mean, that's not fair to the guys that are working here."

Oh, the hypocrisy. Wasn't it Bryant who held his impending free agency over the heads of the entire organization last year? Wasn't everyone looking over their shoulders wondering if Bryant was going to bolt to the Clippers? Maybe Malone isn't the player the Lakers need right now, but Bryant shouldn't be the one making that decision or delivering the message.

But that's not the worst of it.

What left Bryant's mouth after that speaks volumes about whose team this really is.

"They are here giving me 110 percent," Bryant said of his teammates.

Really? The Lakers are playing for Kobe now?

That wasn't a slip of the tongue. Two player agents who represent players on the Lakers and one league source told Insider that Bryant was ruling the Lakers with an iron fist, getting in players' faces and acting as if he owned the team. According to one agent, Bryant even threatened to trade his client if he didn't do things The Kobe Way.

"I get the feeling that everyone there is pretty miserable," one agent told Insider. "I know [my client] wants out, and he claims others do too. It's hard enough to have a coach on you all the time, but then when a player is doing it, too, it's just too much."

The Lakers need to be careful. Word is spreading quickly around the league that while Bryant is an awesome player, he's a terrible teammate. When the Lakers finally have some cap room to go out and lure free agents, what top-tier player is going to want to play there?

The Lakers responded to the whole Malone mess by stating that Bryant wasn't "speaking on behalf of the Lakers management or organization."

Bryant has a $136 million contract that says otherwise.

I love the part where Kobe says the players are giving HIM 110%. Uh, okay Kobe I guess the bane of the team's existence is for you to get on TV. They could not possibly be trying to win for themselves or for the team as a whole. I think this guy may truly believe the world revolves around him.

The other part that got me too was where he supposedly threatened to trade a guy away if he did not do things the Kobe way.
Closed Thread