Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default BCS is the newest target for Congress

Please ,please tell me Congress isn't serious about this. I'm sure there might be one or two other issues Congress could investigate or better yet improve. But, because NCAA football is a Billion dollar buisness they can justify this crap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2245440

HOUSTON -- Calling the Bowl Championship Series "deeply flawed," the chairman of a congressional committee has called a hearing on the controversial system used to determine college football's national champion.

A House Energy and Commerce subcommittee, charged with regulating America's sports industry, announced Friday it will conduct a hearing on the BCS next week, after this season's bowl matchups are determined.

"College football is not just an exhilarating sport, but a billion-dollar business that Congress cannot ignore," said committee Chairman Joe Barton, a Texas Republican. Barton's panel is separate from the House Government Reform panel that tackled steroids in baseball.

The committee announcement called the hearing, scheduled for next Wednesday, a "comprehensive review" of the BCS and postseason college football.

"Too often college football ends in sniping and controversy, rather than winners and losers," Barton said. "The current system of determining who's No. 1 appears deeply flawed."

Barton said he does not have legislation in mind to force a change, but said he hopes congressional hearings will spur discussion and improvements. It won't be the first time Congress has looked at the BCS. In 2003, the Senate probed whether the system was unfairly tilted against smaller schools....
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Thats ridiculous. Congress has no place trying to fix the BCS.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The thing that pisses me off about this is they need to be spending time and money on decreasing our military presence in Iraq, decreasing oil prices, and helping families in the Gulf Coast getting back on their feet. They don't need to be spending time on the BCS and whether or not TO got screwed over by the Eagles.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

This is the part of the article that really pisses me off:

"Too often college football ends in sniping and controversy, rather than winners and losers," Barton said. "The current system of determining who's No. 1 appears deeply flawed."

Why in the world is the United States Congress interested in college coaches, AD's, and Alumni whining about the BCS and the Bowl pairings?

I couldn't agree more with you doublee there are far more important issues that need attention over wether or not college football is flawed or not:finger::bash::redhot: .
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Also, why would they complain in a year where, barring upsets on Saturday, the BCS works? Whatever. Steroids I can understand, because they're illegal and pose a medical risk, but the legislative branch has far more important topics to tackle than the BCS.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:48 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I can't wait until I get into politics so I can do something meaningful about the BCS!
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
The thing that pisses me off about this is they need to be spending time and money on decreasing our military presence in Iraq, decreasing oil prices, and helping families in the Gulf Coast getting back on their feet. They don't need to be spending time on the BCS and whether or not TO got screwed over by the Eagles.

... or whether or not baseball players are taking steroids?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I pretty much agree with everyone. There are a lot more important issues out there than sports, which are just a form of entertainment, as much as we love it. What's next, are they going to launch an investigation if someone doesn't win an Emmy who should have? Keep politics out of sports.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote