Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 08-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road
Default Greatest Single Play Ever

What 1 single play in the history of your sports life that you actually watched live as it happened either in person or on TV would you consider the greatest? You must say why and describe it in full detail, or supply a internet link to it.

Here is the criteria:
1. You had to see and withness it LIVE as it happened, not a replay on a news show.
2. Everyone may pick only 1, don't rush....better think for 24 hours before you choose.
3. It can be a play by an inidividual person that was simply great on its own and had no direct influence on the outcome of a game. It can be a single play that determined the outcome of a game or event. It could be a team play, but only 1 play. It CANNOT be a series of events or quarter, half, or a game.
4. It can be of course by a man, woman, child, or animal.
5. It has to be sports related, individual or in a team context.
6. We all have many, But each of us will have to struggle to decide which is our 1 and only favorite or most memorable. Please only name 1.

Here are some well know examples that I did not witness as they happened so I could not use any of them:
Bobby Thompson's HR - I was too young
Wille Mays great WS catch - didn't see it as it happened
Doug Flutie's Boston College Game Winning Pass - I only saw it afterwards on 10,000 tape replays.

Here are some I did see as they happened, so could use 1 of them, but won't:
Kirk Gibson's WS HR for Dodgers
Bart Star's game winning TD sneak in the Ice Bowl vs the Cowboys
Anyone of Michael Jordan's Game Winning Shots

Get the idea!

My choice came down to 2 different ones, but since I can only pick 1, I will choose the one that shocked and broke my heart as a kid more than any. I will post it in a separate post.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

My favorite team as a kid even though I lived in Dallas Texas (where Mickey Mantle, my favorite player, lived at the time) was the Yankees. They had the best team I could ever imagine as a kid with Mantle, Maris, Berra, Kubek, Richardson, Moose Skowron and Stengle as coach. They slaughtered everyone that year and was killing the Pirates in the WS, yet somehow the Pirates managed to get it to 7 games and came up in the bottom of the 9th with the game tied.

Ralph Terry, who had gotten the final out in the Pirates' eighth, returned to the mound in the bottom of the ninth to finish the job. The first man he faced was Bill Mazeroski. With a count of one ball and no strikes, the Pirates' second baseman smashed a historic long drive over the wall in left ending the contest and crowning the National League as champions. As the Pirates erupted in a wild celebration, the Yankees stood in disbelief knowing that they had clearly dominated the series, but were unable to finish the task. The improbable champions were outscored, 55-27, and out-hit, 91-60, but in the end the home team prevailed. Years later, Mickey Mantle was quoted as saying that losing the 1960 series was the biggest disappointment of his career. For Bill Mazeroski, it was the highlight.

Maz, a great fielding 2nd baseman, but light hitter, won the Series for the Pirates and I 46 years later remember it like yesterday. It was the first time I ever had my heart broken. How could I forget.

Last edited by The Pirate Bob; 08-10-2006 at 05:38 PM.
The Pirate Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Stat_Boy
NFL Maniac

Stat_Boy is on a distinguished road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDQI-YKRZjk

Definately one of the better plays that I've actually seen.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Not hard since I haven't been to many memorable games.

Derrick Williams leaves A.J. Hawk in the dust. I was sitting 57 rows up in the end zone. I had the perfect panoramic view.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I did actually witness live Doug Flutie's game winning touchdown pass to Gerard Phelan....Utterly amazing!!!!
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

In a hockey game, about four years ago, a kid on my team scored the craziest goal I have ever seen.

There were 3 seconds left in the 2nd period. Our team just got called for off-sides, so the faceoff is right outside of their blue line.

We won the face off and the puck went right out our defenseman. The defenseman put both of his hands on the top of his stick and hit is like a golf shot. Somehow, the puck nailed the upper corner of the net right before the buzzer went off. No one expected the shot to go in or even hit the net because he shot it like a golf shot. It was amazing though. The shot was placed perfect and went in right at the buzzer.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

The two greatest calls I have ever had in my young radio career include last fall when the high school I covered defeated an area rival in overtime when the opposing team missed an extra kick to decide which of the two schools would move on in the state football playoffs, and when the Cloud County Community College Thunderbirds defeated the Barton County Community College Cougars (who were ranked fourth nationally at the time) in the second-round of the 2003 Region VI basketball tournament 86-80 after the Cougars had slaughtered the Thunderbirds by 30-plus points during the regular season (sorry, Noon!).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

That's ok. I actually covered that game as well.

And on the flip side, one of the best games I ever covered was at Cloud County, when Barton trailed by 10 with :56 seconds to go and the crowd had already done "Hey, Hey, Hey, Goodbye..." chant.

Only to have Barton rally to win it.

Best overall moment in person? McGwire's 62nd.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
kirby
Banned

kirby is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff Van Gundy saying, "to hell with it," and
deciding to get freaky on Alonzo Mourning's leg
during an NBA game has to rank right up there.

But from a "purist's" point of view it'd be Hank Aaron's 715th.
I saw it.

For sheer "shock value" it'd be Franco's immaculate deception play.

"It's caught out of the air............"

Last edited by kirby; 08-12-2006 at 10:38 AM.
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Minnesota at Green Bay, about six years ago.

Antonio Freeman makes a catch after he falls on the turf and the ball rolls around his back and arm. The defenders don't even bother chasing him, assuming the ball hit the ground.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Evgeni Malkin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtomTdavWKw

I think I called about 5 of my friends and screamin and yelling after that goal. It was insane.

I don't think I can overlook Darius Kasparitis in OT vs. Sabres in Game 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuVy1sk3Kds

It was just my dad and I watching the game in the basement leaning on the edge of seats the whole game and when he scored and slid down the ice we went crazy. He doesn't score too often that was just amazing to see.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:43 AM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

No question, Adam V's game winner in SB36 against the 14 point favorite Rams. I threw a superbowl party at my house that year... I can remember the Pats were blowing out the Rams and ready to lock up the game with a 99 yard fumble return (on 4th and goal) but the play was called back when Willie McGinnest was called for a hold on Marshal Faulk. After the play was called back, I got that "old Boston feeling in me that has to do with curses??" Anyway, Rams punch it in and it became a game. After the Pats went 3 and out, Rams got the ball back and scored again to tie it.... of course the rest is history...

Bob, I liked yours - I was actually gonna go with Aaron Boone's walkoff game 7 2003 ALCS... only because of the impact it had on me - totally crushed me. BUt the topic is best play so I gotta go with the Pats first SB win. Now if (and we could start a new thread) we said game or play that had the most impact on you negative or positive - I'd go with Boone's walk off.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 11-25-2006 at 03:50 AM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #13
Ravana
Revolution w/b improvised

Ravana is on a distinguished road

Well... the best play I ever saw was on replay—it was the best play we all ever saw: "the Play," where Cal couldn't even be stopped by the opposing team's band.... Unfortunately, I'm guessing few if any of us saw it "live," so that's out.

I'm going to pick one that, very likely, few here did see live. (Still find it hard to believe I did, actually—a friend had just turned me on to this particular sport.) Nor was it a "play," per se, though I suppose a "moment" counts, too. "The Look"— Lance Armstrong turns back to his main opponent, Jan Ullrich, as they were near the beginning the brutal L'Alpe d'Huez climb (the third major climb of the day) in his third Tour de France, sees at a glance that Ullrich doesn't have anything left in the tank for a pursuit... and just plain leaves. He opens up a 100-yard gap in a matter of seconds, moving easily 5 MPH faster than anyone on the road—and remember, this is going uphill, near the end of a stage. He's out of sight of the pursuit in something like a minute, and ends the day with a two-minute time lead over second place.

That move cemented in my mind the "superhuman" status of Armstrong.

Second would probably be Mark McGwire's 62nd... especially with the first-base coach yelling at him to come back and tag up, since he'd missed the plate the first time by!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

^Steroids on both of those.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #15
PPKA
PuntPass&KickAss

PPKA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
Minnesota at Green Bay, about six years ago.

Antonio Freeman makes a catch after he falls on the turf and the ball rolls around his back and arm. The defenders don't even bother chasing him, assuming the ball hit the ground.

BOOOOOOOO! Bad Cheetos

hey look, they have pirates on CBS and here too.

for me it was a softball game. my dad was 66 at the time and when one of our players got hurt it left us too short to continue the game. so my dad yells out, "hey, I'll play". and I'll be damned if he did hit the game winning single. there was never a prouder moment in my life.

I miss my pop. go hug yours.