Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Let the Insanity Begin...

Remember a few years back when a judge let a guy wait to serve a sentence so he could watch the OSU-UM game? Well, now it looks like "The Game" will be throwing a monkey wrench into production at a GM plant in Ohio.

http://www.vindy.com/content/local_r...8008128273.php

It's life and death here...:thumbup:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Well...we're takin' it up a notch.

A private prison in Lisbon, Ohio will hold a pizza party for inmates during the OSU-UM game.

Here's the link...

http://www.vindy.com/content/local_r...1450718483.php

There was an earlier article that I can't locate which reported the warden as saying something like "we all have to support our Buckeyes."

Sounds perfectly rational to me...LOL...

GO BUCKS!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Works for me. :thumbup:

Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a game not involving Penn State. Hopefully the Lions lay a good lickin' on Sparty at noon so I can fully enjoy this one.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Works for me. :thumbup:

Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a game not involving Penn State. Hopefully the Lions lay a good lickin' on Sparty at noon so I can fully enjoy this one.
I'm still ticked about the time change to 3:30. It has really screwed up all the high school games as well as many other traditions. I heard on my local talk radio that Ohio State wanted to move it even later...like 8 pm... but Michigan said no. I don't have a source for that. It was just something a pretty reliable local guy said on the radio.

Michigan seems to be the more sensible and less corporate of the two...based on previous events...so that sounds right.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I'm still ticked about the time change to 3:30. It has really screwed up all the high school games as well as many other traditions. I heard on my local talk radio that Ohio State wanted to move it even later...like 8 pm... but Michigan said no. I don't have a source for that. It was just something a pretty reliable local guy said on the radio.

Michigan seems to be the more sensible and less corporate of the two...based on previous events...so that sounds right.
Actually 3:30 was a compromise, Michigan wanted a Noon start OSU a prime time start, ABC was all for Saturday night, but UM made a point that this game had NEVER been played at night and allowing 96,000 (or so) Wolverine & Buck fans on the highway after drinking all day would probably be unwise. Also there was some concern that there may be a repeats of riots in Columbus from a few years back. This was reported to me second hand from a sports talk show in Detroit.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
vipendacsh
Sports Enthusiast

vipendacsh is on a distinguished road
Default over hyped

this michigan/ohio state hype is the biggest load of bull i've ever heard. espn has had a countdown to kickoff clock going for the past week. they're calling it the most important game of the new millenium, a revolution. everyone is blowing this game way out of proportions. in hindsight the biggest and best game of the new millenium was the ND/USC game. it was not overhyped and it turned out to be exactly what everyone expected. ND came in with the gameplan everyone knew about and made the game the most exciting of the century. this Mich/Ohio S game will never live up to being better than ND/USC because...

first) The two biggest name coaches were there (Charlie Weiss, Pete Carroll), i don't even knwo teh name of the Mich coach and only know of the Ohio S one (Tressell) because of all the hype.

second) The biggest name players were there; two Heisman trophy winners (Leinart, Bush), and an opposing QB who was a Heisman hopefull (Quinn). the only big name player for either Mich or Ohio S is Troy Smith.

third) It was the best game because it was not overhyped, the ND/USC game exceeded expectations, it had more drama (Bush fumble/pitch, clock runoff/reset, Bush TD run with :03 left, Leinart aided call/no call, list goes on) than anyone could have ever expected. Mich/Ohio S can never exceed expectations because everyone expects it to be the best game ever. Mich is good, but these two teams just do not matchup well. Chad Henne is too slow and Ohio S defense is too fast. Ohio S defense will jam Mich recievers, Henne will get anxious and make mistakes. Ohio S wins 31-13 and i'll turn it off in the second quarter.
vipendacsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
vipendacsh
Sports Enthusiast

vipendacsh is on a distinguished road
Default oops

forgot the fourth reason this game will never be as good as ND/USC game....it doesn't matter who wins and who loses because they'll be playing again....all the one loss teams behind Mich have a loss on their schedule so they'll be playing again come January.

Trust me, i wish it weren't true...go rutgers
vipendacsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipendacsh View Post
first) The two biggest name coaches were there (Charlie Weiss, Pete Carroll), i don't even knwo teh name of the Mich coach and only know of the Ohio S one (Tressell) because of all the hype.
Weis (is how it's spelled) was hardly one of the "two biggest name coaches" in college football midway through his first year last year, and not to insult you but if you don't know who the Michigan coach is, who has been there for many years and has a national championship and multiple Big Ten titles, it says more about your understanding and knowledge and college football than the nation's.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
Actually 3:30 was a compromise, Michigan wanted a Noon start OSU a prime time start, ABC was all for Saturday night, but UM made a point that this game had NEVER been played at night and allowing 96,000 (or so) Wolverine & Buck fans on the highway after drinking all day would probably be unwise. Also there was some concern that there may be a repeats of riots in Columbus from a few years back. This was reported to me second hand from a sports talk show in Detroit.
That's it. Thanks for clearin' it up. Even when it was settled at 3:30 OSU was still pushin' for 8pm. I have to say I HATED it...being at the game. It was really weird having it end when it was dark out.

OSU is much more corporate than Michigan is...like I said before.