Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 04-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Huggins to West Virginia

Bob Huggins is bailing on K State after one year and going to coach his alma mater West Virginia.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2827212

What are the odds that his first phone call is to Patrick Patterson?

Isn't it great how coaches can screw with a kid's future and there is nothing the kid can do about it?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Probably the only job Huggins would've left for after such a short time
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I had the chance to interview Bob Huggins last summer, and he was the most arrogant and egotistical jerk I have ever met in my entire life. This took place at a University fundraiser, and it was hilarious to watch how two-faced Bob Huggins was when he was supposedly having a good-time yukking it up with Wildcat boosters, and then he quickly turns into a prick the moment he is out-of-sight of the people that matter.

I played the short five-minute interview on my radio show last summer and it was obvious to many that Huggins was belittling me throughout the entire discussion (which was abruptly ended by Bob who just got up and left the room during one of my questions), and I said live on the air that "Bob Huggins is simply using Kansas State University. K-State is willing to take a risk on a troubled coach, and in the end, they are going to get screwed over by a man who has absolutely no interest in staying in Manhattan, Kansas and will be gone in less than three-years. Mark my words."

The interesting part of yesterday's press conference in Manhattan was listening to Athletic Director Tim Weiser say that is school policy not to grant releases to student athletes who have committed to the University. I don't think Weiser or Kansas State will hold strong to those comments, especially when it comes to top-recruits like Michael Beasley, Bill Walker or Dominique Sutton, and I truly can't believe Huggins would leave without a guarantee that he can bring those three guys along with him.

It was also interesting to see Weiser, who on Tuesday announced that talks of Bob Huggins leaving for West Virginia was nothing more than a silly internet rumor, visibly tense up when asked when West Virginia got permission to talk to Huggins, with Weiser saying: "I'm not going to comment on that."

From what I am hearing, possible coaching candidates at Kansas State include assistant coach Frank Martin (possibly Dalonte Hill, as well), Southern Illinois head coach Chris Lowery, Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings and even former Golden State coach Mike Montgomery.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I can't quite conceive why Stallings would be interested unless K-State ponies up a significant pay raise. Going from Vandy to KSU would be, at best, a lateral move if not a slight step down. Lowery may not have much interest either given that he just signed a new deal with SIU and quite honestly their program is in a bit better shape and they only lose two significant players off of this year's squad.

Unless Montgomery is truly desparate to get back into coaching I don't know that he would be that interested. I think he is still collecting money from Golden State so he has the luxury of sitting out for a bit longer. Let's face facts here it is not as though KSU had to outbid anyone to get Huggins. He didn't exactly have a line of top college programs at his front door.

From what I hear Bill Walker is pretty much screwed since he has already enrolled and played for Kansas State he is going to have to sit out a year if he wants to play elsewhere. Given that he has always been perceived as a guy who was going to bolt for the NBA at the first opportunity I doubt that is a desirable option for him.

Besides, I doubt KSU has any intent on releasing these kids until they have a new coach on board. They lose the bait to attract a desirable coach if they do.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Apparently Frank Martin is the guy:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6652282
Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I guess K-State is hoping to keep whatever momentum that Huggins had going by hiring his assistant. Will they release the recruits, though? The Beasley kid is like the nation's top recruit and he's from Maryland and signed at K-State only because of Huggins. I highly doubt he still wants to go, and the university will be under immense pressure to release him. I can't believe Huggins is such a jerk, yet still recruits kids. I guess he is two-faced.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
From what I hear Bill Walker is pretty much screwed since he has already enrolled and played for Kansas State he is going to have to sit out a year if he wants to play elsewhere. Given that he has always been perceived as a guy who was going to bolt for the NBA at the first opportunity I doubt that is a desirable option for him.
Rumors suggest Walker might just opt to go play professionally overseas for a year, and then enter the 2008 NBA draft. That way he doesn't have to play for Kansas State, and he would avoid having to sit out a year because he transfered to another university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Apparently Frank Martin is the guy:
Certainly a desperation move by Kansas State to hire Bob Huggins' top assistant and recruiting coordinator in order to keep their incoming class happy, and we'll see if it works.

Martin scares me since he lacks head coaching experience and he has only been an assistant coach at a major program for three years, but all of the returning players respect him and Martin was the one who handled and coached all of Kansas State's daily basketball practices.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
millershane71
Rookie Player

millershane71 is on a distinguished road
Cool Huggin's Loss

As a K-State fan I was initially irate. I'm not so naive to think Huggins would be in the little apple for long, but even when the first rumors surfaced I couldn't even fathom that he was this low. He could have "gone home" to WV anytime. I don't see what is so urgent after he made so many commitments, especially to the players, which he is an idiot for leaving behind. After a couple of days to decompress I believe this was a blessing. Dalonte Hill is the key to the magic recruiting class, Beasley was going to UC Charlotte until Huggins hired him. Walker is staying, and Sutton will stay with Beasley. Who won't want to be a part of that team next year. My grandma could coach these guys and get to the tournament. To Huggings, good riddance! You can take the trash outta the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park outta the trash.
millershane71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Can KSU choose to selectively release recruits from their LOI's? With scholarships a school can choose to release at their own discretion (for example, a player from OSU couldn't transfer to UM).

If Beasley wanted to sign with WVU I sure as hell wouldn't release him.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know. I think it may depend on the conference. I know when Sendek left NCSU they released their recruits from their commitments if they asked them to. I think they will generally release them if they don't transfer to another school within the conference.

I bet Larry Davis probably regrets pulling out of NCSU and going to Seton Hall instead.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by millershane71
Dalonte Hill is the key to the magic recruiting class
And it sounds like he may be the reason Michael Beasley elects to stay at Kansas State.

Beasley's mother Fatima Smith told the Kansas City Star and the Topeka Capital-Journal that she plans to move to Manhattan, Kansas this summer and that "Michael will be there (K-State) for the next school year." She also said "If Dalonte would have left, it would have been a big deal. But as long as Dalonte's there, everything's fine."

The quick, desperation hire of Frank Martin is even more questionable as Martin was fired from his head coaching position at Miami Senior High School because of major rules violations that included five players living with a school employee, a coach or a team booster.

K-State may be the only school in the country who doesn't blink an eye when it comes to hiring unethical coaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Can KSU choose to selectively release recruits from their LOI's? With scholarships a school can choose to release at their own discretion (for example, a player from OSU couldn't transfer to UM).
Kansas State can selectively choose to release recruits from their letters-of-intent, as long as it is requested by the player (they can't just actively drop players without a valid release or a violation of some sort). If the player wants to leave and he doesn't receive a school release, he has to transfer schools like a typical scholarship player. Therefore, he must also sit out a year like a typical division one transfer.

Last edited by tobynosker; 04-09-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Rumors suggest Walker might just opt to go play professionally overseas for a year, and then enter the 2008 NBA draft. That way he doesn't have to play for Kansas State, and he would avoid having to sit out a year because he transfered to another university.
I guess I don't necessarily see the point of that if you are looking to go to the NBA in '08 anyway.