Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-17-2001, 09:23 PM   #1
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

This is a slap in the face to any knowledgable Ohio State football fan. If you have not heard already the new coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes is Jim Tressell. Who is by the way, the former YOUNGSTOWN STATE coach. Wow. OSU is really flexing its muscle by hiring a division 2 coach. Real impresive, it was also brilliant making it seem as though we would actually be getting a REAL COACH with talks of Bob Stoops and John Gruden. There is a reason why Jim Tressell is a division 2 coach. And what is amazing even more to me, is that these moron sports fans here in Ohio, are totally buying into the pick. Even though before this whole mess started up, nobody knew who he was. They just go by what they hear and cant even form their own opinion. I would rather have John Cooper back than this guy. This is ridiculus. Why dont we just give the University of Michigan a 20 dollar bill and a whip because we will be their $2 skank for the next decade. If Chris Speilman is not on this staff, I think I will totally go insane. But of course they wont, because Ohio State wants to continue its long tradition of mediocrity. I am fed up with all the Ohio Sports teams outlook that they can squek by with mediocrity and a "it was a good year" attitude. That is why Ohio hasnt won jack in 40 years.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 10:10 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I understand you are disappointed in them not hiring a top-class coach, but can you suggest any available? Didn't think so.

It's unfair to have such pre-judidice - sure, the guy doesn't have Big Ten experience, but he may be an oustanding choice. I say give him a chance before you bash him.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 10:21 PM   #3
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Jon Gruden

Wow, what a difference 24 hours make. I live over here relatively close to the Oakland area and most of yesterday a lot of people here were already panicking about Gruden going to Ohio State.

I can tell that many a Raider fan are relieved that it looks like Gruden is staying with the Raider nation for now.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 08:49 AM   #4
Tom Baker
Grizzled Veteran

Tom Baker is on a distinguished road
Default Ohio State

I was about to post a thread on Ohio State's coaching search as a classic example of how NOT to replace a coach. The ticking clock was getting louder every day in Columbus--recruits were starting to think about jumping ship, booster were getting antsy, yet no decision had been made, and the AD was wasting time by interviewing guys like Chris Spielman, who have NO coaching experience and no real shot at the position.

But as for Tressel, you say he's Division 2 -- not so. Youngstown state is a I-AA school, and was a very good one in years past under Tressel--at least two national championships. I-AA is just a few scholarships below I-A, Ohio State's level. So while it is a lower level, the difference may not be as pronounced as you might think.

However, I will also say that the record of I-AA coaches moving up to I-A is generally pretty poor. Mark Duffner from Holy Cross to Maryland? Nope. Jim Donnan from Marshall (before they moved up) to Georgia? Uh-uh. But Donnan's firing is still a little mysterious--he was 39-17 overall, but somewhat Cooper-esque in that he couldn't seem to win the big ones.

"You've got to escape / It's no crime, so escape..." - Pearl Jam
Tom Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 12:18 PM   #5
iFroggy
Sports Virtuoso

iFroggy is on a distinguished road

Well who knows, I mean the guy is a winner, even if it was at a lower level. He deserves the shot. Maybe he won't produce - maybe he will.

On another note... the guy made a little over 100k last year to be the Coach and Athletic Director. His new contract gives him about one million per season. Talk about a raise.
Old 01-18-2001, 01:44 PM   #6
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
I understand you are disappointed in them not hiring a top-class coach, but can you suggest any available? Didn't think so.

The reason why we couldnt get a real coach is because Andy Geiger let Cooper stay around for THIRTEEN YEARS, and totally burry this program in a pile of Shi*.
Also ifroggy made the comment maybe he'll win, maybe he wont. I do not think that is what you should be looking for in a coach. It may not seem like a big deal to you guys, but I live in ohio and I have to put up with all this crap year round.

--Captain Hook
Old 01-18-2001, 02:48 PM   #7
Tom Baker
Grizzled Veteran

Default Mason

Rick, has there been any rumor or clue as to why the Buckeyes went with Tressel instead of Glen Mason, who was considered by most as the front-runner for the job?

Since you're at ground zero you're probably more plugged in than the rest of us. I think Tressel should get a shot, but Mason was much more established at the 1-A level and had a strong connection with OSU. It's interesting what you hear being local--like all the drug rumors that have surfaced around Atlanta in the wake of the Donnan firing. Just wondering...

Old 01-18-2001, 07:00 PM   #8
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

The Ohio State University held there press conference today at 4:00. I caught the later end of it however while I was watching Andy Geiger said nothing about it. A lot of people in Ohio have been wondering why this wasnt Mason's job, and so far, to the best of my understanding we were given no answer. I thought Glen Mason was clearly the best available. He stuck his neck out there and got burnt by Ohio State for it. I'm sure he will have trouble explaining this to his players and the media.

--Captain Hook
Old 01-19-2001, 09:00 AM   #9
Tom Baker
Grizzled Veteran

Let us know if you find anything out. I'm sure the local papers, commentators, and fans will have something to say. I'm VERY curious about that...Mason was considered by most everyone to be the leading candidate all along. He seemed to say all the right things, while Tressel kept a fairly low profile during the search. Don't know what went on behind closed doors, but I was pretty surprised that Mason didn't get it.

Old 01-19-2001, 05:00 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I saw the new OSU football coach on ESPN yesterday (he came to have a few words with the commentators during half time) and he looked alright, but was kind of average in what he said and looked. We'll never know until we seem him on the field.

[Edited by M. James on 01-19-2001 at 04:03 PM]
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 09:07 PM   #11
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road
Default new OSU coach

I was kinda disapointed that Glen Mason wasn't hired, but Jim Tressel should do a good job. Division 1-AA is not as good as 1-A, but the best u can do there is win the national title, and thats what he did...4 times.

I'll be happy if he can beat Michigan...unlike Cooper
NickHammy is offline   Reply With Quote