Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 01-07-2003, 02:31 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question Pro Basketball Weekly Rankings Top 10

Weekly rankings reflect all games played from Opening Day through January 5th, 2003. Only the top 10 teams are ranked each week for now.

1.-DALLAS MAVERICKS--(27-5)-.844-The Mavericks beat Philadelphia, 102-83 at Dallas, on January 4th. Forward Dirk Nowitzki led the team with 29 points and just one turnover. Nowitzki has only four total turnovers in 304 minutes of playing in his last six games. Center Shawn Bradley had a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds in Saturday's win.

2.-NEW JERSEY NETS--(25-9)-.735-The Nets beat Orlando, 88-83 in Orlando, on January 4th. Forward Kenyon Martin had a double-double as he led his team with 19 points and 12 rebounds. New Jersey's defense allowed the Magic's guard Tracy McGrady to score 30 points. Have won nine games in a row.

3.-SACRAMENTO KINGS--(25-9)-.735-The Kings beat Denver, 87-76 in Denver on January 4th. Chris Webber did not play and Mike Bibby rose to the challenge and scored 24 points to lead his team. Sacramento was already without Bobby Jackson(broken hand). Webber did not play because he had a sore left knee. The Kings forced 21 turnovers against Denver and held Denver to 36% shooting from the field.

4.-INDIANA PACERS--(23-10)-.697-The Pacers lead the Eastern Central division by one game over Detroit. Indiana lost this past Saturday to Washington in double overtime, 107-104. Forward Al Harrington coming off the bench, led the Pacers with 33 points. Harrington is averaging 12.4 points per game. He was 14-of-22 from the field.

5.-PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS--(20-12)-.625-Portland beat Boston this past Friday, 108-103 in Boston. The Trailblazers reserves accounted for 47 points, due to the injuries and foul trouble to some of the regular players like Derek Anderson(sprained ankle). Ruben Patterson scored 15 points and Scottie Pippen put up 17 points. Forward Bonzi Wells led the team with 19 points, but ran into some foul trouble later on. Wells played 34 minutes. Portland has won six out of their last eight games against Boston. Blazers guard Antonio Daniels made his first start of the season in place of Anderson. Daniels scored nine points.

6.-DETROIT PISTONS--(21-10)-.677-Richard Hamilton who came over from Washington during the off-season leads the team averaging 20.5 points per game. His field goal percentage is .444. Center Ben Wallace is averaging 15.5 rebounds per game. He averages 4.1 in offensive rebounds.

7.-PHOENIX SUNS--(21-13)-.618-The Suns lost to the LA Lakers, 109-97 in LA, this past Sunday. The Suns defense allowed LA's Shaquille O'Neal to score 36 points and round up 16 rebounds. Sun's Stephon Marbury led his team with 32 points. Shawn Marion added 13 points. Phoenix shot 43.2 from the field in that loss and lost only for the third time in 14 games.

8.-SAN ANTONIO SPURS--(21-13)-.618-The Spurs trail Dallas by seven games in the Western Midwest division. Tim Duncan is the main ingredient of this team. Duncan leads the Spurs in points scored per game and rebounds per game. He averages 23.1 points per game and 12.7 rebounds per game. Tony Parker led the Spurs in scoring against the LA Clippers Sunday, with a 94-86 win. Parker had 26 points in that win.

9.-NEW ORLEANS HORNETS--(20-15)-.571-The Hornets beat Toronto, 99-84 on in Toronto, on January 5th. New Orleans sent the Raptors to their 10th straight loss. Forward Jamal Mashburn led the team with 22 points. Forward P.J. Brown led with 10 rebounds.

10.-BOSTON CELTICS--(19-13)-.594-The Celtics ranks 10th in the NBA in points scored per game at 95.9. Boston's defense averages 16.7 turnovers per game while they average turning the ball over on offense 14.2 times per game.

Written by:Keith Thronson Mobile, Alabama

Last edited by bama4256; 01-07-2003 at 01:27 PM.
bama4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:19 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good stuff. Some thoughts ... Phoenix, for a team that hasn't done much since the mid-'90s, they are much improved. The Pacers are beginning to slip after starting red-hot. The Celtics have been disappointing with only a .594 winning percentage.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:02 AM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Yeah Marc I would like to see Phoenix do something great this year like win their division and maybe a Championship, but it won't happen this season.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:58 AM   #4
Clipper Boy
Banned...Just Kidding

Clipper Boy is on a distinguished road

True. The Suns have proven a lot of NBA fans wrong. I mean, during the off-season after all the big trades, the Power rankings showed phoenix in 28th place just in front of Denver. Suns fans must be very proud. And i thought penny hardaway was done for. but he is still good. glad to see him at starting spot.

Don't lie.
Clipper Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:43 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Penny, the old Memphis boy, well he has played aight this year....but Amare Stoudamire has been tearing it up for a rookie. I might change my mind on rookie of the year and go for Stoudamire in Phoenix.

The Nets and Kings have really impressed me so far this season....and well I am impressed with the Mavs as well, but we all know they can't play defense so they are out in the NBA playoffs.

The Lakers may never crack Bama's top 10 rankings, but they will be in the NBA Finals....yes I said it. The Kings are the only team who can beat LA in the playoffs from the West....and the Nets are the only team who has a shot against them from the East....now let the bashing begin.

Joey
Old 01-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Good... the Suns are playing well, but I don't expect Stoudemire to be this way forever.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:49 PM   #7
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I think the Lakers will bloom late in the season just enough to make the playoffs.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:33 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by air_canada
Good... the Suns are playing well, but I don't expect Stoudemire to be this way forever.
He's no one-hit wonder, though, he will be a force for years to come. That said, he is inevitably going to struggle at times in his rookie year and be more inconsistent, which is true.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
air_canada
Youngster

That's what I meant, not that he was a one-hit wonder. Thanks for clearing up.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
Clipper Boy
Banned...Just Kidding

Clipper Boy is on a distinguished road

The way i see it. Amare might have the same career that KG is having

Don't lie.
Clipper Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 02:56 AM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Anyone a Drew Gooden fan? I think he will be great in the next couple of years, barring any serious injuries. Just a feeling I have. I like this young Memphis team. I guess because they are close to Alabama. I would really like to see Gooden break out. Gooden is presently fourth among all rookies in points scored per game. He is averaging 13.0 points per game. His FG % is .473
Old 01-10-2003, 11:15 AM   #12
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Gooden also takes wild shots, which I don't agree with. Yes, he is talented, but he is not a future star in the NBA. He is going to be a role player in Memphis, and he doesn't even start anymore for the 11-23 Grizzlies....he is not a future star by any means....but he can be a good player that contributes on a nightly basis.

Joey
Old 01-10-2003, 09:47 PM   #13
air_canada
Youngster

He's not superexplosive, yet he's got some good potential. He can back down an opponent and score, which can contribute 10-15 points a game.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:47 AM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Dallas improved to a league best 30-5 by beating Boston tonight, 103-78 at Dallas. Dirk Nowitzki scored 28 points. This team is awesome.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:35 AM   #15
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Wassup with Portland #5? Half there players are in jail.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote