Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 11-21-2004, 03:28 AM   #61
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Jeesh, Buckeye....PLEASE don't feed the Trolls....that thread was really not worth your time.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 05:40 AM   #62
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
I wonder if it's just baaaarely possible there's a connection between our two newest trolls, MPM and Dajordans? Marc: IP check on aisle 5, IP check on Aisle 5.
Motion for IP check seconded. My Orc sword is glowing..

and Tarkus, come on.... this stuff is interesting, admit it.
Just look at how this thread has exploded and how the issue is all over the media. Would I still call it interesting if my favorite player(s) was/were involved? of course! granted I would be a little angrier about it though
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #63
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo

Tarkus, come on.... this stuff is interesting, admit it.
Just look at how this thread has exploded and how the issue is all over the media.
It's worthy of conversation but it's not interesting to the point I want to see it happen again. I find it to be more than a bad sign of things to come....

I'd hate to be behind you on the freeway with an accident up ahead. You'd probably stop, lay out a blanket & get the picnic basket out....
Old 11-21-2004, 07:26 AM   #64
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

I heard that Ben Wallace felt very bad and apologized to Artest. I'm not happy with the pistons fans right now, to a certain extent, I'm not happy with the pistons, but Ben Wallace is not a bad guy and people around have been bashing him because they think he started it. He was just mad because of a hard(not flagrent) foul. And factor in family issues, etc. This is the only time Ben Wallace ever gotten into something like this correct me if I'm wrong. Just go mad for getting fouled while losing(happens to everyone) and he got mad at Artest and pushed him. But he never ment for all hell to break loose.

While watching the game, did you see Ben Wallace's face during and after the melee? He looked like he was about to cry. The dude was shocked beyone belief.

The respect that i lost from Ben Wallace just got gained back. Good for Ben Wallace.

I also saw the reaction of the guy who got attacked by Ron Artest in an article. If I can find it, I'll post it. I think it's on foxsports.net. The guy who got attacked by Ron Artest said that he got pummeled (but did not wail on his face) down to the ground and Artest was asking "did you do it" and the guy was like "no man, no.' It was wrong for Artest to go into the stands. But he wasn't gunna completely smash on the guy's face if he didn't do it. And we all know that it was th guy with the hat and was wearin the Pistons warmup shirt that says "Wallace" on the back.Then fans went to go after Artest and that's where Jackson Smackd that guy.

But there was absolutely no reason for O'Neal to baseball slide punch that fat guy. Of anyone, O'Neal should get the biggest punnishment out of the players invalved.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:04 AM   #65
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

here's the link

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3179442

Quote:
The exact length of the four players' bans could be announced as early as Sunday.

However, Ben Maller and Chris Landry of Fox Sports Radio have learned from Pistons play-by-play man Fred McLeod that the NBA plans to suspend Artest for 30 games.

Additionally, Fox Sports Radio reports O'Neal and Jackson will both get 20-game suspensions. Wallace, on the other hand, will miss just five games.
<<ADMIN EDIT: Please don't re-post entire articles, provide a portion and a link. You've been told this before. Thanks.>>
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up

Last edited by Marc; 11-21-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #66
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
C'mon Shawn...

I don't know why our young Hero thinks that's great entertainment but I wonder what would happen if one of your favorite players, like Kobe in your case, got hit in the eye by a flying chair in another episode of this "new fun" & never played again??? Or better yet, if a young kid at his first NBA game, got hit by that same chair or was run over by a 6'11" rampaging NBA player???

Would it still be as "entertaining"???
Aw crap, the good old philosophy-ish talk from an elder.:freak:

Since you put it that way, I will just have to say this. IF it was Kobe (one of my fave players to watch), and he if WAS part of this, let's say... he took the part of Stephen Jackson! Then he deserves a suspension no doubt, but that doesn't mean it has to stop me from still enjoying the tussle.

And if was a little kid who got hit by chair, well, than I guess they could only blame their own fans for acting a fool. It was them who started the riot, so they can only have them to blame. I felt passionate when I see the 2-3 year old kid hugging his mommy in fear with obvious tears streaming down the line of his cheek bones, and I really wish he didn't witness such acts of violence, but he did, what can I do?? Pray for him? Or pray for the riot to stop? No, tried it, doesn't work. If it happens, it happens, there' nothing for me to do except enjoy a rare sight in the NBA while it lasts. And I sure did.

I guess I was kind of selfish when I said I wish it happens more frequent, because I never know if that jeopardizes human lives every time it happens. Watching it from a screen I can never truly see or feel the casualties of the brawl, what’s the fear like being one of them.

But the fight was still cool as hell!
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #67
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

LOL...

Sorry Kevin. I was up late last night high off the OSU win and doing research for my prof friend at YSU. He's compiling election result trends and the such for a study he is doing, and I had the info there, thought I would kick that post to the wayside so we could move on.

Most NBA fans, esp. in the first 10 rows, I would venture to say are conservative in philosophy just by statistical trends and data. I thought anyone could figure that out.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:45 PM   #68
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
It's worthy of conversation but it's not interesting to the point I want to see it happen again. I find it to be more than a bad sign of things to come....

I'd hate to be behind you on the freeway with an accident up ahead. You'd probably stop, lay out a blanket & get the picnic basket out....
LOL Tarkus, a little exaggeration there to make your point, but you're basically right. I enjoy stuff like this more than you do. The only reason I would ever watch a hockey game is in hopes of seeing a fight break out, and yes... I do enjoy Ultimate Fighting Championship matches as well.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:59 PM   #69
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
LOL Tarkus, a little exaggeration there to make your point, but you're basically right. I enjoy stuff like this more than you do. The only reason I would ever watch a hockey game is in hopes of seeing a fight break out, and yes... I do enjoy Ultimate Fighting Championship matches as well.
You are not alone Shawn. I love that kind of stuff too.

I live for seeing fights, brawls, and any complete chaos.

In the end, the whole Pistons/ Pacers/ Piston's fans fight was harmless. I think that they should just let it slide and say "that was fun, it put all eyes on the nba, and who wouldn't want to come to a game and a have a swing at their favorite NBA Player? We should do this more often."

I think that at the end of the games, this should become a normal thing.

" Come See The Greats of The NBA play and then be part of a huge riot with the players"

Now that would sell tickets. I would move to an NBA city just so that I can get involved in the weekly riot.

... now that would be sweet.

Now I am getting depressed just thinking that the NBA isn't like that... good bye.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:24 PM   #70
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

LOL Ellis! and there you are on the completely other end of the spectrum..
I certainly wouldn't want to see this sort of chaos on a regular basis... but when it does occur, it's a juicy steak.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:47 PM   #71
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

#23,482 comment Ellis has made that made me think, "Boy is he gonna feel differently 15-20 years from now."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 11-22-2004, 03:26 AM   #72
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Hero
Aw crap, the good old philosophy-ish talk from an elder.:freak:

And if was a little kid who got hit by chair, well, than I guess they could only blame their own fans for acting a fool. It was them who started the riot, so they can only have them to blame.
:lol: Hero... Didn't mean to sound like an elder....

I guess I'm just looking at other fights in sports that have escalated to more than just punching. Stabbings in the stands, fans shot dead from altercations, etc. , are just some of the things in store if players start going into the stands.

There's no solution for a mob mentality when things start rollin'. & we seem to differ on who started the riot. A thrown cup of beer was not the flashpoint in my eyes. It was a visiting player, who already hard fouled a fan favorite, who went charging into the stands over that thrown beer, swinging on a fan that got the mob going.

That was why he was suspended, not as a choice between who was worse, him or the fan, but that he sparked the riot.....
Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #73
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

AH HA Kevin !

Trying to take over Grandpa 78's spot are ya?

True though on Ellis' comments. I think most of the younger guys will feel that way after the "system" beats them up for a decade or two.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #74
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Well Buckeye, I like to think I reside somewhere in between Ellis's "We need to WWE-ify the NBA!" and your "We need to go back to leather helmets! There will never be another rivlary like the University of Chicago against the Tufts Jumbos! Unless you count fair Harvard against the Hoboken YMCA, with the winner taking on Teacher's College!"

Old 11-25-2004, 12:54 AM   #75
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I just cannot help but wonder how much more 'brand new exclusive footage' ESPN is going to regurgitate on this. I swear to God every night I am seeing some 'newly discovered footage' on SportsCenter. ESPN is truly milking this for all it is worth. I swear they must have three interns working on this where there sole purpose in life is to pour over all the footage so they can have something new to show us. It is like The Simpson's episode where Marge keeps altering the same Chanel suit to fit in the with the rich people.

I am just waiting for the day when I flip on NBA Shootaround and Stephen A. Smith is sitting there hawking the new DVD on the 'Motown Meltdown, the Brawl For it All, now yours for only $19.99.' Including a special Nu Skool/Old School feature commentary with Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. Act now and own a piece of history before they are all sold out, we only pressed a hundred million copies so call now before they are all gone.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote