Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
bachslunch
Grizzled Veteran

bachslunch is on a distinguished road
Default Baseball Hall of Fame results are in

Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I for one think both were eminently deserving. Congratulations to both!

Voting results:

Elected
90.0% Roberto Alomar (523)
79.7% Bert Blyleven (463)
覧覧覧覧覧覧-

Not elected, still on the ballot (except for Dave Parker, who was in his last eligible year)
62.1% Barry Larkin (361)
53.5% Jack Morris (311)
45.4% Lee Smith (263)
41.7% Jeff Bagwell (242)
37.5% Tim Raines (218)
32.9% Edgar Martinez (191)
24.3% Alan Trammell (141)
20.3% Larry Walker (118)
19.8% Mark McGwire (115)
17.9% Fred McGriff (104)
15.3% Dave Parker (89)
13.6% Don Mattingly (79)
12.6% Dale Murphy (73)
10.0% Rafael Palmeiro (64)
5.2% Juan Gonzalez (30)
覧覧覧覧覧覧-

Not elected, dropped off the ballot
4.8% Harold Baines (28)
4.6% John Franco (27)
2.1% Kevin Brown (12)
1.0% Tino Martinez (6)
0.7% Marquis Grissom (4)
0.7% Al Leiter (4)
0.7% John Olerud (4)
0.3% BJ Surhoff (2)
0.2% Bret Boone (1)
0.2% Benito Santiago (1)
0.0% Carlos Baerga (0)
0.0% Lenny Harris (0)
0.0% Bobby Higginson (0)
0.0% Charles Johnson (0)
0.0% Raul Mondesi (0)
0.0% Kirk Rueter (0)

-------------------------------------

Some thoughts on the non-elected folks:

--Jeff Bagwell's debut was pretty good at 41.7%. Of the newbies, Larry Walker was next at 20.3%. Two folks with steroid issues, Rafael Palmiero (10%) and Juan Gonzelez (5.2%), barely survived the cut.

--Barry Larkin got a decent vote surge this year and looks to have a great shot at election next year -- and I say deservedly. Note that by far the best candidate to come up next year will be Bernie Williams, and he's not likely to get very far -- no way I'd vote for him.

--Tim Raines also saw a respectable vote surge. It may be a while before he gets elected, but his chances are improving yearly. I very much think he belongs in as well.

--Jack Morris and Lee Smith spun their wheels, picking up little or no support. Smith has pretty much stayed put the last several years he has been on the ballot, though he does have about five more years left -- am thinking his chances aren't that good. Morris only has two more years of regular eligibility and probably won't make it in at this rate. Personally, I'm okay with Smith getting in, though I'm not sure how far above borderline he really is. I'd likely vote for him. Morris is very overrated, and I'm really on the fence with him -- though if he got elected, he wouldn't be the worst pitcher in. I'd be very hard-pressed to consider voting for Morris if I had a vote.
bachslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I'm very happy for both of the guys that got the call today and I feel that Bagwell and Larkin should be enshrined soon. I would hope that Lee Smith would get in sometime, also. He was the best closer in his generation.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Bagwell has issues with steroids though he constantly denies it. People don't believe him.

Robbie should of been first ballot, my favorite baseball player of all time. Nice to see him enshrined.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

I think that if MLB doesn't have anyone worthy of going to the H.O.F., then there should be no problem with not inducting anyone. Keep it prestigious instead of making it a "let's find someone" show. I mean Alomar? C'mon,...what about Alan Trammel or Lou Whitaker? At least neither of them took the time to spit on an umpire!

I guess I have just lost the respect for this "award" since Pete Rose's name and statue are not in there. If they don't want Rose in there, then why do they have the great Detroit Tiger; Ty Cobb, and Yankee great Babe Ruth in there? They too were both jerks, but great ballplayers.

It should be awarded by the performance on the field as a player ONLY, not how good or bad of a person he was. Stop the double standards because we all know that Alomar tried to stir up the race card after his spit in that ump's face. What a jerk.

Last edited by DETMURDS; 01-06-2011 at 11:43 AM.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

The tragic thing to all of this "good old boys network" is the Fred McGriff might never get in despite the fact he hit upwards of 400 HR CLEAN!!!

Put the Crime Dog on Roids and he hit 600 HRs.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
bachslunch
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
I think that if MLB doesn't have anyone worthy of going to the H.O.F., then there should be no problem with not inducting anyone. Keep it prestigious instead of making it a "let's find someone" show. I mean Alomar? C'mon,...what about Alan Trammel or Lou Whitaker? At least neither of them took the time to spit on an umpire!

I guess I have just lost the respect for this "award" since Pete Rose's name and statue are not in there. If they don't want Rose in there, then why do they have the great Detroit Tiger; Ty Cobb, and Yankee great Babe Ruth in there? They too were both jerks, but great ballplayers.

It should be awarded by the performance on the field as a player ONLY, not how good or bad of a person he was. Stop the double standards because we all know that Alomar tried to stir up the race card after his spit in that ump's face. What a jerk.
Haven't had a chance to reply until now. Thoughts:

--there's a big difference between being a jerk and flouting the "no betting on baseball/no throwing games" rule. Ed Delahanty certainly was a jerk, but that's not enough to prevent him being a HoF-er. But the actions taken by folks like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson call the integrity of the game itself into question. Like it or not, betting on baseball and throwing games are baseball's equivalent to the death penalty per the folks who run the game, and people who break these rules have no one but themselves to blame. If such actions are ignored, baseball becomes no more legitimate than pro wrestling, and baseball's powers-that-be understandably don't want to see that happen.

--Roberto Alomar is no choirboy, but again, spitting on an umpire (bad as that is) is not something at the level of throwing a game or betting on one. His stats clearly show he belongs in, and the fact that he waited a year before being elected probably shows that some voters wanted to make a character based statement (the HoF bylaws say "character issues" are fair game to consider).

--I'm all for Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammel being voted into the HoF. Sorry to say, it likely won't happen. I think both have good arguments.

Last edited by bachslunch; 02-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
bachslunch
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
Bagwell has issues with steroids though he constantly denies it. People don't believe him.
Myself, I'd like to see hard evidence that Bagwell used steroids before accusing him of it. He's not named in the Mitchell Report and there's nothing beyond rumors that suggests he was a user.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

If Frank Tanana can get in while giving up that many moon shots in a relatively modest amount of innings pitched I guess you gotta put Bert in as well.

Having said that, my man had a serious case of rubber neck syndrome back in 1986 like I've never seen before or since.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
ghostofSC
All-Star Player

ghostofSC is on a distinguished road

I wish bachslunch would come back. This place is sorely short on people who give a shit about the Hall of Fame like he does.

Also, this place is short on opinionated a-holes.

Actually, this place is just short on people.
ghostofSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofSC View Post
I wish bachslunch would come back. This place is sorely short on people who give a shit about the Hall of Fame like he does.

Also, this place is short on opinionated a-holes.

Actually, this place is just short on people.
Kind of a ghosttown, don't you think?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote