Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-05-2002, 12:31 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question 2002 Pro Football Rankings Week 13

Rankings reflect all games played from Sept. 5th through Dec. 2nd. Rankings are based on won-loss record, points scored, points allowed and many other factors. See where your team is ranked and why.

1.-ATLANTA FALCONS--(8-3-1)-.708-(PF-316-PA-211)-The Falcons flew past Minnesota, 30-24 in overtime in Minnesota. Atlanta has gone eight straight games without a loss. Best team in football right now. Quarterback Michael Vick scored the winning touchdown on a 46-yard run from scrimmage. What an athlete! Vick was the leading rusher with 173 yards rushing. The 173 yards rushing was the most by a quarterback since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. Vick's favorite wide receiver Brian Finneran caught five passes for 114 yards and one touchdown. Falcons defense had six sacks and three interceptions on the day. Next game Dec. 8th against Tampa Bay at Tampa. I pick Tampa Bay to win.

2.-GREEN BAY PACKERS--(9-3)-.750-(PF-325-PA-250)-The Packers defeated Chicago, 30-20 at home in Green Bay. Quarterback Brett Favre completed 24-of-42 for 221 yards and two touchdowns. Favre tossed one interception. The Packers are 6-0 at home this season. Next game Dec. 8th against Minnesota in Green Bay. I pick Green Bay to win.

3.TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS--(9-3)-.750-(PF-267-PA-149)-The Buccaneers got canned again by New Orleans, 23-20 this time in New Orleans. They lost their first game of the season to New Orleans, 26-20 in Tampa. Wide receiver Keenan McCardell, Bucs, caught 11 passes for 107 yards and one touchdown. Tampa's top rated defense with defensive end Simeon Rice had three sacks on the night. Rice set an NFL record by having multiple sacks in five straight games. The Buccaneers are ranked ahead of New Orleans because I think Tampa Bay is still a better team overall. Only time will prove me right or wrong. Next game Dec. 8th against Atlanta in Tampa.

4.-PHILADELPHIA EAGLES--(9-3)-.750-(PF-320-PA-187)-The Eagles beat St. Louis, 10-3 in Philadelphia. Eagles defense was on their game Sunday. Cornerback Bobby Taylor returned an interception of Kurt Warner 23 yards for a touchdown. Third string quarterback A.J. Feeley did just enough to help lead his team to an important win. Feeley completed 14-of-30 for 181 yards. Next game Dec. 8th against Seattle in Seattle. I pick Seattle to win.

5.-NEW ORLEANS SAINTS--(8-4)-.667-(PF-345-PA-301)-The Saints came up with a big win over Tampa Bay winning, 23-20 in New Orleans. Both quarterback Aaron Brooks and running back Deuce McAllister played with injuries. McAllister still rushed for 99 yards on 27 carries and scored one rushing touchdown. Wide receiver Joe Horn, Saints, caught five passes for 106 yards and one touchdown. Next game Dec. 8th against Baltimore in Baltimore. I pick New Orleans to win.

6.-OAKLAND RAIDERS--(8-4)-.667-(PF-354-PA-258)-The Raiders defeated the New York Jets, 26-20 in Oakland on Monday Night Football. Big win for Oakland. Raiders are 4-0, since going 0-4. They started the season 4-0, but lost their next four games before starting the new winning streak. Quarterback Rich Gannon completed 31-of-42 for 342 yards and one touchdown. Gannon leads the NFL in passing yards with 3,877. His wife receiver Tim Brown became the third receiver in NFL history to have 1,000 receptions. Brown caught eight passes in the game. Brown's teammate Jerry Rice is one of the elite three to have over 1,000 catches in their career. Next game Dec. 8th against San Diego in San Diego. I pick Oakland to win.

7.-INDIANAPOLIS COLTS--(8-4)-.667-(PF-257-PA-206)-The Colts continued their winning ways beating Houston, 19-3 at Indianapolis. Indianapolis is in first place in the AFC South with a one game lead over Tennessee. Wide receiver Marvin Harrison caught nine passes for 101 yards. Harrison leads the NFL in receptions with 109. He also caught his 631st carrer pass in that game, tying Raymond Berry's franchise record. Tight end Marcus Pollard, Colts, caught the first touchdown of the game, a 16-yarder in the first quarter from Peyton Manning. Next game Dec. 8th against Tennessee at Tennessee. Big game here for both teams. I pick Tennessee to win.

8.-PITTSBURGH STEELERS--(7-4-1)-.625-(PF-303-PA-269)-The Steelers beat Jacksonville, 25-23 in Jacksonville. Quarterback Kordell Stewart started for the injured Tommy Maddox. Pittsburgh amassed 403 yards of total offense. Stewart was 16-of-26 for 202 yards and no touchdown passes. He tossed one interception. Kicker Jeff Reed, Steelers, kicked six successful field goals in just his second game for the Steelers. Pittsburgh leads the AFC North. Playing with a broken nose, Jerome Bettis, Steelers, ran for 86 yards to reach 11,373 for his career and pass John Riggins for 10th on the NFL career rushing list. Next game Dec. 8th against Houston in Pittsburgh. I pick Pittsburgh to win.

9.-SAN FRANCISCO 49ers--(8-4)-.667-(PF-285-PA-259)-The 49ers held on and beat Seattle, 31-24 in SF. Running back Garrison Hearst set a career high for himself by rushing for three touchdowns and carrying the ball 31 times. Hearst rushed for 124 yards. He has 781 yards rushing so far this season. Jimmy Williams, 49ers, went 89 yards with a punt runback for a touchdown. Next game Dec. 8th against Dallas in Dallas. I pick San Francisco to win.

10.-SAN DIEGO CHARGERS--(8-4)-.667-(PF-263-PA-265)-The Chargers broke Denver's spirit, winning 30-27 at San Diego in overtime. Kicker Steve Christie kicked a 27-yard field goal in overtime to win it for his team. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson had a career high 220 yards rushing on 37 carries and scored three touchdowns. Tomlinson also caught 11 passes. A game he will never forget. Tomlinson ranks second in the NFL in rushing with 1,318 yards. Next game Dec. 8th against Oakland at home.

11.-DENVER BRONCOS--(7-5)-.583-(PF-295-PA-266)-The Broncos lost a heartbreaker to San Diego, 30-27 in overtime. Quarterback Steve Beuerlein filling in for injured Brian Griese completed 22-of-39 for 288 yards and one touchdown. Beuerlein threw two interceptions. Rookie running back Clinton Portis rushed for 159 yards on 23 carries and scored two rushing touchdowns. Portis leads all rookie running backs with 995 yards rushing this season. Next game Dec. 8th against the New York Jets at New York. I pick Denver to win.

12-MIAMI DOLPHINS--(7-5)-.583-(PF-287-PA-228)-Miami lost to Buffalo, 38-21 in cold Buffalo. The cold didn't bother Dolphins running back Ricky Williams. Williams rushed for 228 yards on 27 carries and scored two rushing touchdowns. The 228 yards rushing was a career high for him. Williams now has 1,284 yards rushing this season. By the way, Williams set two new Miami franchise records in that loss. Most yards gained in a single game, and the the most yards gained in a season by a Miami running back. Quarter Jay Feidler returned to action when Ray Lucas went down with an injury. He was 5-of-9 for 15 yards. Next game Dec. 9th against Chicago at Miami on Monday Night Football. I pick Miami to win.

13.-TENNESSEE TITANS--(7-5)-.583-(PF-275-PF-287)-The Titans just won't quit. They beat the New York Giants, 32-29 at New York in overtime. Tennessee's kicker Joe Nedney kicked a 38-yard field goal to win the game in overtime. Quarterback Steve McNair completed 30-of-43 for 334 yards and three touchdowns. McNair's performance was so amazing because he set out of practice all week, due to injuries. Receiver Derrick Mason, Titans, caught 12 passes for 116 yards and one touchdown. Running back Eddie George set a Titans-Oilers career rushing record with a 4-yard run against New York. That placed him ahead of Earl Campbell's 8,574 yards rushing, and George finished with 64 yards Sunday and 8,635 yards overall. Next game Dec. 8th against Indianapolis in Tennessee.

14.-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS--(7-5)-.583-(PF-303-PA-251)-The Patriots beat Detroit, 20-12 in Detroit on Thanksgiving Day. Neither team looked very sharp, but wide receiver Troy Brown, Patriots caught 10 passes for 111 yards. Brown leads the team with 76 receptions for the year. Next game Dec. 8th against Buffalo in New England. I pick Buffalo to win in an upset.

15.-NEW YORK JETS--(6-6)-.500-(PF-255-PA-269)-New York lost to Oakland, 26-20 on Monday Night Football In Oakland. Raiders are always tough to beat on MNF. Jets receiver Lavaranues Coles caught 10 passes for 158 yards, but no touchdowns. Coles in his second year, played his college ball for Florida State. Next game Dec. 8th against Denver at New York.

16.-KANSAS CITY CHIEFS--(6-6)-.500-(PF-370-PA-312)-The Chiefs humiliated Arizona, 49-0 at KC. Dante Hall, Chiefs, had a team-record 90-yard punt return to help beat the Cardinals. Running back Priest Holmes the leading rusher in the NFL, rushed for 113 yards on 16 carries and scored two rushing touchdowns. Holmes has 1,322 yards rushing so far this year and 19 rushing touchdowns. Kansas City's defense came up big, registering five sacks and four interceptions for the day. Cornerback back Ray Crockett had two of those interceptions. He has 13 years in the NFL. Next game Dec. 8th against St. Louis in KC. I pick St. Louis to win.

17.-CLEVELAND BROWNS--(6-6)-.500-(PF-262-PA-243)-The Browns lost to Carolina of all teams, 13-6 in the Dawg Pound at Cleveland. The Browns committed five turnovers and quarterback Tim Couch threw three interceptions. Next game Dec. 8th against Jacksonville at Jacksonville. I pick Cleveland to win.

18.-BUFFALO BILLS--(6-6)-.500-(PF-315-PA-338)-The Bills defeated arch rival Miami, 38-21 in cold cold Buffalo. Quarterback Drew Bledsoe was 15-of-27 for 306 yards and three touchdown passes. Running back Travis Henry rushed for 151 yards on 35 carries and scored one rushing touchdown. It was Henry's fifth 100-yard game this year. Wide receiver Eric Moulds, Bills, had 130 yards receiving and scored one touchdown. The Bills defense was led by linebacker London Fletcher, who had 14 tackles on the day. Fletcher is tied for third in the NFL with 103 tackles, with Houston's Jay Foreman. Next game Dec. 8th against New England at New England.

19.-NEW YORK GIANTS--(6-6)-.500-(PF-202-PA-217)-The Giants lost to Tennessee, 32-29 at home and in overtime. May have put the nail in the coffin, as for any playoff hopes. Quarterback Kerry Collins was 22-of-36 for 283 yards and two touchdowns. Collins has now passed the 3,000 yard mark for passing yardage. He has 3,049 on the season. Next game Dec. 8th against Washington at Washington. I pick Washington to win.

20.-BALTIMORE RAVENS--(6-6)-.500-(PF-224-PA-250)-The Ravens held back and finally beat Cincinnati, 27-23 in Cincinnati. Rookies Chad Williams and Ron Johnson scored touchdowns on returns. Williams scored a touchdown on a 98-yard interception return, and later blocked a punt that Johnson returned for a 22-yard touchdown. Running back Jama Lewis, Ravens, had 121 yards rushing on the day, giving him 1,044 yards on the season with four games left. Next game Dec. 8th against New Orleans at Baltimore.

21.-ST. LOUIS RAMS--(5-7)-.417-(PF-235-PA-242)-Rams beaten by Philadelphia, 10-3 in Philadelpia. Quarterback Kurt Warner broke his hand in that loss. Warner has had persistent problems with his throwing hand and fingers the past couple of years. Warner was sacked eight times by the Eagles defense. Rams had a chance of tying the game with just seconds left in regulation, but Warner had the ball knocked out of his hand and lost the fumble. As for the Rams defense Sunday defensive end Grant Wistrom led the team with eight tackles and one sack. Next game Dec. 8th against Kansas City at KC.

22.-DALLAS COWBOYS--(5-7)-.417-(PF-166-PA-214)-The Cowboys beat Washington, 27-20 on Thanksgiving Day. This was Dallas' 10th straight win over the Redskins. Quarterback Chad Hutchinson was 12-of-25 for 145 yards and two touchdowns. But running back Emmitt Smith was the main offensive threat for Dallas that day. Smith rushed for 144 yards on 23 carries. Great game for the 33-year old Smith. Next game Dec. 8th against San Francisco at Dallas.

23.-WASHINGTON REDSKINS--(5-7)-.417-(PF-219-PA-280)-The Redskins lost to Dallas, 27-20 in Dallas. No game ball for Redskins owner Daniel Synder. His main reason for hiring Steve Spurrier was to beat Dallas. I'm serious. Synder hates Dallas, because he is a true blue Redskins fan since he was a child. Next game Dec. 8th against the New York Giants at Washington.

24.-JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS--(5-7)-.417-(PF-256-PA-231)-The Jaguars lost to Pittsburgh, 25-23 at home in Jacksonville. Jaguars had only 13 first downs to Pittsburgh's 23. On defense for the Jags, defensive end Marco Coleman registered two sacks on the day. Coleman is a 10-year veteran. Played his college ball for Georgia Tech. Next game Dec. 8th against Cleveland in Jacksonville.

25.-SEATTLE SEAHAWKS--(4-8)-.333-(PF-244-PA-280)-The Seahawks lost to San Francisco, 31-24 in SF. They rallied hard, but came up short in the fourth quarter. Seattle's offense gained 507 yards in total net offense. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck had a great offensive game. Hasselbeck completed 30-of-55 for 427 yards and three touchdowns, but threw two interceptions. Wide receiver Darrell Jackson, Seattle, caught seven passes for 114 yards and two touchdowns. Next game Dec. 8th against Philadelphia in Seattle.

26.-CAROLINA PANTHERS--(4-8)-.333-(PF-158-PA-221)-The Panthers beat Cleveland, 13-6 in Cleveland. Rookie running back Dee Brown gained 122 yards on 27 carries, but no touchdowns. Brown played his college ball for Syracuse. On defense for Carolina, rookie linebacker Will Witherspoon, out of the University of Georgia, led the team with 10 tackles and one sack against the Browns. Defense also came up with three interceptions on the day. Next game Dec. 8th against Cincinnati at Carolina. I pick Cincinnati to win in an upset.

27.-CHICAGO BEARS--(3-9)-.250-(PF-238-PA-300)-The Bears lost to Green Bay, 30-20 in Green Bay. Quarterback Jim Miller was 25-of-36 for 191 yards and one touchdown. Miller tossed one interception. Running back Anthony Thomas received an injury and is lost for the season. Not good! Next game Dec. 9th against Miami at Miami on MNF.

28.-DETROIT LIONS--(3-9)-.250-(PF-215-PA-331)-The Lions lost to New England, 20-12 in Detroit on Thanksgiving Day. Rookie quarterback Joey Harrington threw three interceptions. Typical rookie mistakes. Next game Dec. 8th against Arizona in Arizona. I pick Arizona to win.

29.-MINNESOTA VIKINGS--(3-9)-.250-(PF-278-PA-332)-Minnesota lost to Atlanta, 30-24 in overtime at home in Minnesota. Quarterback Duante Culpepper was 23-of-43 for 266 yards and one touchdown, but he threw three interceptions. Wide receiver Randy Moss caught nine passes for 134 yards, but no touchdowns. Next game Dec. 8th against Green Bay in Green Bay.

30.-ARIZONA CARDINALS--(4-8)-.333-(PF-190-PF-313)-The Cardinals got blasted by Kansas City, 49-0 in KC. Arizona's big loss was the most lopsided in the NFL since Dec. 17th, 1989 when Cincinnati beat Houston 61-7. Arizona had only 10 first downs the entire game and only 122 total net yards of offense. Next game Dec. 8th against Detroit in Arizona.

31.-HOUSTON TEXANS--(3-9)-.250-(PF-157-PA-288)-Houston lost to Indianapolis, 19-3 in Indy. The Texans gained just 165 total yards and quarterback David Carr was sacked six times. Next game Dec. 8th against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh.

32.-CINCINNATI BENGALS--(1-11)-.083-(PF-204-PA-335)-The Bengals lost a close one to Baltimore, 27-23 in Cincinnati. Quarterback Jon Kitna, who passed for 308 yards, completed his first 10 passes and helped the Bengals take a 13-0 lead, but it didn't hold up. Next game Dec. 8th against Carolina in Carolina.

Written by:Keith Thronson Mobile, Alabama
Old 12-05-2002, 08:34 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Interesting ... FWIW, I would say my Top Five right now are:

1. Philadelphia Eagles
2. Atlanta Falcons
3. Tampa Bay Bucs
4. Green Bay Packers
5. Oakland Raiders
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:18 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

You really think Philly is the number one team in football. Scoring only 10 points against St. Louis and now the team is under the leadership of A.J. Feeley. You may be right-let's see what happens the next couple of games. They have an easy one against Seattle if they don't overlook them. But I think Seattle will upset them. Just a thought.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:22 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Believe me ... I don't like Philly, but I had no choice. They have the best record in football and are playing better than, say, the Packers or Bucs who've recently lost. I think the young Falcons with a lot of potent WR will struggle in the postseason, though. I think in a week or two, the Packers will be back on top, so these are far from concrete.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:54 PM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Green Bay is definitely a Super Bowl contender. But Favre has been so hot and cold lately.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:06 PM   #6
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Atlanta is definitely not #1 this week after getting pounded for a second time by Tampa....and Oakland has to be in the top 3 this upcoming week as well.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:36 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

I would say my rankings are:

1) Bucs
2) Raiders
3) Eagles
4) Packers
Old 12-10-2002, 01:02 PM   #8
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Marc, why are the Bucs ahead of the Eagles in your rankings, when the Eagles beat the Bucs? And the Eagles are more than likely going to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs, so that being the case I think the Eagles should be 1st or 2nd right now over the Bucs.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:51 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Valid point -- and I hope the Eagles DO get homefield advantage if the Packers don't. Reason being, they aren't as hard to play at home compared to Tampa Bay, IMO. That loss to the Colts at home keeps springing up in my mind at Veteran's Stadium.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:46 AM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Actually you could put up a good argument for about five different teams being number one-TB, Phil, Atlanta, Oakland and New Orleans. All are deserving. Atlanta was the NFL's hottest team until they lost to TB Sunday.

Philly has really impressed me. Playing with their third string QB. They might go all the way if McNabb get healthy soon.