Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-02-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Henson Gives Up on Baseball

It's almost officially official.

Pasquarelli reports that Henson's baseball career is over before he had a shot at the bigs.

Who'll grab him? Will Dallas be interested in trading to get him, or is everyone going to wait for April 24, when he becomes draft-eligible again, and snatch him for a higher salary than they'd be locked into if they trade for him.

Prevailing wisdom appears to mixed. Trade for him, and be able to get away with paying him sixth-rounder cash, or wait for his rights-ownership to expire, and draft him in a higher round, and hence pay him more.

I suppose it all depends on what the Texans want for him. A Steelers insider site suggested that the Texans wanted Burress. All indications are that the Steelers viewed that price as prohibitive.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Henson for Burress? Pretty steep for a guy who is a few years removed from college football. Until he proves what he can do at the workout Houston has set up for him I wouldn't offer more than a 2nd round choice at best. I'm pretty sure that in the end the Texans will get more than that or he'll go in the late 1st round of the draft (Green Bay perhaps?).
Old 02-04-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I can't think of a player who has done so little for so long who has gotten so much publicity. I don't think he'll be a good QB.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I can't think of a player who has done so little for so long who has gotten so much publicity. I don't think he'll be a good QB.
How the hell could you possibly hypothesize that????
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

He was a good college QB, but he has stunk in baseball and been out of football for years. He wasn't that great to begin with, I don't know why anyone thinks he's going to save their NFL team. Just my opinion.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

Henson is a big risk. He could be a great QB. He could be an amazing bust. I don't think the time off from football will be as much of an issue as him as his inexperience. He didn't play a whole lot at Michigan. He never started a full year, splitting time with Tom Brady. I think he will be a second round pick. What does everyone else think.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I'm inclined to agree with Marc, to be completely honest. I think that, as with any player, the odds of being a bust are greater than they are of being a stud.

We'll see.

I think if the Texans can't get a 2nd rounder for him, he'll go in the third round, and probably late. But, that's idle speculation, Much better gauge on such things in a week, once reports start coming out from his workout.

Dave
Old 02-06-2004, 10:56 PM   #8
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

The thread has been deleted now, but the funny thing here is that Dave (in his seemingly infinite wisdom) was slamming the Texans over a wasted pick when they drafted Henson in the 6th rd last year.

I explained then what the Texan's thinking was, and that it was an "investment" pick that would pay off for them down the road.

Guess what?

The Texans are set to GET OVER IN A LARGE WAY.

Who's your daddy...?

poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

If he's nogood in the NFL he will have a problem.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
BaseballFan1
Grizzled Veteran

BaseballFan1 is on a distinguished road

The best decision he's ever made.

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
-Christy Mathewson
BaseballFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by poptart
The thread has been deleted now, but the funny thing here is that Dave (in his seemingly infinite wisdom) was slamming the Texans over a wasted pick when they drafted Henson in the 6th rd last year.

I explained then what the Texan's thinking was, and that it was an "investment" pick that would pay off for them down the road.

Guess what?

The Texans are set to GET OVER IN A LARGE WAY.

Who's your daddy...?

You're assuming they can sign and trade him before April, but I think personally the market for him is being vastly overstated, and the price the Texans are seeking is similarly reaching.

Henson's agent is feeding the media with #3 QB on the board, yadda,yadda. I still insist that we know what he looks like/fake-plays like before we insist that he's anything but a guy who decided to take Steinbrenner's $$$ and failed to play up to those $$$.

And, let's look at this reasonably: As a 6th round pick, Henson has a pretty low signing maximum price. He ups his signing maximum if he holds out and waits for the second or third round pick that I, without any knowledge of his workout or his work habits -- which must be questionable, given that he never learned to play baseball well enough to get to the majors in a deserved way, project he'll be.

The Texans might get nervous and pitch him for something lower than they expected, while remaining a Day One draft pick, especially if he doesn't knock some socks off in Thursday's workout.

You -- I think we've covered this, poptart-- ain't my daddy.

Meanwhile, in my seemingly infinite wisdom, maintain that it wasn't the wisest use of draft picks for a team with depth issues on both sides of the line of scrimmage. It will be made out to be a wise move if they can get a Day One draft pick from him, and a relatively goofy (but not stupid) move if they can't get him signed by draft day.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:15 PM   #12
poptart
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Meanwhile, in my seemingly infinite wisdom, maintain that it wasn't the wisest use of draft picks for a team with depth issues on both sides of the line of scrimmage. It will be made out to be a wise move if they can get a Day One draft pick from him, and a relatively goofy (but not stupid) move if they can't get him signed by draft day.
Admit you goofed, Dave.

Spinning only deepens your hole.

Charley Casserly is gonna come out smelling like a rose.

Sure the Texans might have used a 6th round pick.....a SIXTH ROUND PICK.......to improve the depth on the offensive or defensive line, but the fact of the matter is that they knew that last season (season 2 of their existence) was again going to be a building season. It was not essential at all to use that pick to build the O or D-line because the team was not at all ready to compete for real.

They put the pick "in the bank" as an investment, and now they are set to rake in a large dividend that will serve them well for the future.

If I'm not your daddy.....maybe I'm just your uncle.

Better yet, why don't you just SAY uncle..?

Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Oh, come on, poptart. I'm not bowing under a pressure from you, especially on this unresolved matter.

If they don't get him signed, I'm right as rain and Casserly wasted a pick just like I said he did.

I'll give him due for the move [size=large]IF[/size] it pays that dividend you're drooling like Something about Mary's brother over...

Till then, what was Houston like for Super Bowl Week?

You should have done a daily report for us... or are you far enough outside the city that it didn't bother you?

Dave
Old 02-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #14
poptart
Banned

Traffic was DEFINITELY way up.

I live pretty far out from the city, yes.

I also don't go near downtown (or the stadium area) for work, so the traffic problems were basically a non-factor for me.

It was cool that it was here, and it is cool that it is over too.

Know what I mean..?

It was a major lift for Houston, financially.

Also good indirectly in a lot of other ways.

Hope it comes back in '09 or '10.

If so, I'll make sure to remember to give updates for you in here.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

They said he did real well in a workout in Houston.