Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Keeping the 'Race Card' alive & well in the US

A Tale of 2 Stories:

excerpt:

Spike Lee Slams Clint Eastwood Over Representation Of Black Soldiers

CANNES, France - Spike Lee is slamming Clint Eastwood over his two recent Iwo Jima movies, saying the filmmaker overlooked the role of black soldiers during World War II.

Lee _ whose next film is this fall's "Miracle at St. Anna," the story of an all-black U.S. division fighting in Italy during the war _ said Eastwood's 2006 movies "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" were whites-only affairs.

"He did two films about Iwo Jima back to back and there was not one black soldier in both of those films," Lee said Tuesday at the Cannes Film Festival, where he was a judge in an online short-film competition.

"Many veterans, African-Americans, who survived that war are upset at Clint Eastwood. In his vision of Iwo Jima, Negro soldiers did not exist. Simple as that. I have a different version," Lee said.

******************************************


excerpt:

Eastwood, Lee feud over war movies

The war of words between two of Hollywood's greatest directors continued to rage on this weekend.

Last month at the Cannes Film Festival, Spike Lee criticized Clint Eastwood for his World War 2 movies about Iwo Jima. Lee said he was upset that neither "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" didn't portry any African-American soldiers in the epic battle.

The former "Dirty Harry" fired back in an article printed Friday in the U.K.'s Guardian saying, "A guy like him should shut his face."

Eastwood tells the paper he studied Iwo Jima and says a small detachment of black troops were there as a part of a munitions company, "but they didn't raise the flag. The story is 'Flags of Our Fathers,' the famous flag-raising picture, and they didn't do that. If I go ahead and put an African-American actor in there, people'd go, 'This guy's lost his mind.' I mean, it's not accurate."

*******************************************

The Rebuttal

Lee, the lauded director of such films as "Do the Right Thing" and "Malcolm X," wasted no time responding to Eastwood.

"First of all, the man is not my father and we're not on a plantation either," Lee tells ABCNEWS.com. "He's a great director. He makes his films, I make my films. The thing about it though, I didn't personally attack him. And a comment like 'a guy like that should shut his face' -- come on Clint, come on. He sounds like an angry old man right there."

The actor/director says he will take "the Obama high road and end the fued right here."

Spike Lee's next film, "Miracle at St. Anna," is about an all-black U.S. division fighting in Italy. It will hit theaters in September.

*******************************************


First off, I'll assume that what Eastwood said about the research on Iwo Jima & the fact that African Americans were not in # or involved in the story line is true since in Lee's rebuttal didn't dispute that.

What seems to be a simple case of speaking before you know what you're talking about is compounded by the Race Card subject that Lee used. It also makes you wonder if it's also spurred on by wanting some extra publicity/drama for his own upcoming movie.

Either way, it's these kind of basically stupid scenarios that fan the flames of racism where there was no fire to be had. It does nothing but reinforce the belief that racism is alive & well in the US when, if these facts are right & you'd assume that Lee wouldn't hesitate on correcting Eastwood, the reality is that Lee should be given a swift kick in his ass for creating tension where there wasn't any before. Sure, there's still racism in the US but when goofs use it as some sort of .05 word to create drama for their own attention getting needs, that's as damaging in it's own right, cheapening & demeaning the actual struggle against true racism & should be spotlighted also.

No apology from Lee to Eastwood that he spoke before he knew the facts...no apology to the public for inflammatory statements that were misleading & incorrect...no nothing. However, Lee took the time to twist the meaning of "Flags Of Our Fathers" & proclaim Clint not his Father & invoke the dreaded 'plantation' image as tho it applies. After that he attempts to rationalize his attack on Eastwood's portrayal of the subject & claim it wasn't "personal". BS...

Then he tries to spin it some more by saying Eastwood "sounds like an angry old man with an ending of taking "the Obama high road and end the feud right here." I get it...he starts it, gets kicked in the ass, & then pretends he's the better man while invoking Obama's name.

Once again, if the facts are true that there were no African American troops involved, these kind of stories prove that you don't have to be white to be a caretaker in charge of keeping racism alive & well in the US, just be an idiot.

end rant...
__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
themush
Banned
 
themush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 8,839
themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default

Well said Tark I agree with every word. In fact I think there was an American Indian (a drunk) in that movie and I didn't hear anything about that "sterotype". As my papi use to say facts is facts. And for Lee to bring this crap up to get more interest in his movie is down right shameful. And then to hide behind an obvious race ploy is even more shameful.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Montrovant
Hatecarver
 
Montrovant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 685
Montrovant is on a distinguished road
Default

I'll chime in with agreement as well. Unless Lee has information that Eastwood's production is not historically accurate, it's a case of finding racism where none exists.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
I find it strange that people sit at home, around the dinner table and think, "Damnit! People are gay!"
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
trayhezy
All-Star Player
 
trayhezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 646
trayhezy is on a distinguished road
Default

Don't read more into it than it should be......this is just Spike stirring the pot for when he does HIS next race based movie.

I can not take seriously any "director" of any color who follows Kobe around with a camera and calls it a "documentary".
__________________
Tiger born
Tiger bred
Tiger Blue
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
Don't read more into it than it should be......this is just Spike stirring the pot for when he does HIS next race based movie.
Yea, he's good for crap like this but I just thought America was a thread or 2 short on rubbing his nose in it...

Quote:
I can not take seriously any "director" of any color who follows Kobe around with a camera and calls it a "documentary".
:lol::lol::lol:

__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976
 
Dublin Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dublin Ga.
Posts: 4,431
Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default

Meh, the only reason he is saying a damn thing, two years after Eastwood has made his movies, BTW, is b/c he wants to raise publicity for his new film. How many times is it mentioned above that he has a movie coming out in September? He's nothing but a sell-out (yeah, i said it) looking for publicity.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
What makes insanity so bad? Just as too much of anything is bad, being too sane is definitely not a good thing.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 AM   #7
Anthony
Moderator
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,377
Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default

But Spike Lee is such a hypocrite; remember when he denounced Allen Iverson's rap CD as a 21st-Century minstrel show?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal
 
philabramoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 537
philabramoff is on a distinguished road
Default

I'll tell you what DID disturb me...

Barack Obama, obviously in campaign mode, so his intent is somewhat
excusable, as it were...

His statements about how the McCain campaign wants to "scare" people
into not voting for him, you've probably heard the sound clip..."He's
inexperienced, he's got a funny name...and he's black"

I'd really have to call Obama out on this, since it, objectively, just isn't fair.
Firstly, if anyone is really fair to the person John McCain is, he's NOT the
type of person who would play on latent racist feelings just to try to win
an election. This is a smear on the character of John McCain.
Secondly, and I take personal offense to this...somehow claiming that
the American people are still such a racist nation that people who choose
not to support Obama for president are doing so because they are racist,
not because they are honestly judging him as not qualified for the presidency
as a person. This is actually kind of insulting.

Yes, there are some people out there who are racist enough that they
will never see Barack Obama beyond the color of his skin. However, it is
offensive for Obama to suggest that his skin color would be THE reason
he loses, if he does lose the election.

I take Obama's statement on this, if he really does mean what he says,
as an ill mark on his character, and kind of an insult to the American
people, who are, for the most part, very decent people.
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
themush
Banned
 
themush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 8,839
themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabramoff View Post
I'll tell you what DID disturb me...

Barack Obama, obviously in campaign mode, so his intent is somewhat
excusable, as it were...

His statements about how the McCain campaign wants to "scare" people
into not voting for him, you've probably heard the sound clip..."He's
inexperienced, he's got a funny name...and he's black"

I'd really have to call Obama out on this, since it, objectively, just isn't fair.
Firstly, if anyone is really fair to the person John McCain is, he's NOT the
type of person who would play on latent racist feelings just to try to win
an election. This is a smear on the character of John McCain.
Secondly, and I take personal offense to this...somehow claiming that
the American people are still such a racist nation that people who choose
not to support Obama for president are doing so because they are racist,
not because they are honestly judging him as not qualified for the presidency
as a person. This is actually kind of insulting.

Yes, there are some people out there who are racist enough that they
will never see Barack Obama beyond the color of his skin. However, it is
offensive for Obama to suggest that his skin color would be THE reason
he loses, if he does lose the election.

I take Obama's statement on this, if he really does mean what he says,
as an ill mark on his character, and kind of an insult to the American
people, who are, for the most part, very decent people.
Very confused as to what this has to do with this thread???
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal
 
philabramoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 537
philabramoff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Very confused as to what this has to do with this thread???
I thought this thread was about "playing the race card".

Isn't Barack Obama playing the race card by his statements??
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
themush
Banned
 
themush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 8,839
themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default

Oh I thought is was about Lee vs. Eastwood?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal
 
philabramoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 537
philabramoff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Oh I thought is was about Lee vs. Eastwood?
Oh well.

Maybe we can talk about BO here, too.
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabramoff View Post
I'll tell you what DID disturb me...

Barack Obama, obviously in campaign mode, so his intent is somewhat
excusable, as it were...

His statements about how the McCain campaign wants to "scare" people
into not voting for him, you've probably heard the sound clip..."He's
inexperienced, he's got a funny name...and he's black"
I don't know if you have a link that explains your point better but this link is pretty accurate in that he's not pointing at McCain's campaign but independent Republicans. I think he's dead on that it's gonna get pretty nasty in this one before it's over...

excerpt:

Obama Suggests GOP Will Use Race to Scare Voters

Barack Obama told a group of Florida donors Friday night that Republicans will try to make voters afraid of him, and suggested they would use his race to scare up votes for John McCain.

Apparently girding for a nasty general election fight, the Illinois senator has in recent days predicted that independent GOP groups are waiting in the wings to attack him, and said his presumptive GOP rival is already “fear-mongering” when it comes to foreign policy.

But his comments Friday night in Jacksonville, Fla., seemed to reflect elevated concerns that his campaign to be the first black president would run headlong into political race baiters.

“We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid,” Obama said at the fundraiser. “They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black? He’s got a feisty wife.”

The crowd of supporters cheered, and Obama added: “We know the strategy because they’ve already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn’t moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us.”

He said Republicans would be unable to run on the economy or foreign policy, so the election would ultimately boil down to a choice between “hope and fear.”

His “feisty wife” comment was probably a reference to a Tennessee GOP ad that criticized Michelle Obama for saying in February that she was proud of her country for the first time.

Obama mentioned the ad Friday afternoon at a press conference, where he defended his announcement the day before that he was backing out of the public financing system for the general election. He expects to raise more money on his own, in part to defend himself against independent GOP attack groups.

While there is no imminent, large-scale threat from so-called “527″ groups — such as the “Swift Boat Veterans for Truth” group that attacked John Kerry in 2004 — Obama said they’re waiting for him.

“527’s pop up pretty quickly and have enormous influence and we’ve seen them,” he said. “I don’t think that I am off the wall here to see that … a lot of outside groups that are potentially going to be going after us hard.”

__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

The whole race thing is overblown and the concept of "swaying" people to vote for or against at this point is pretty laughable.

Nobody is going to wake up in the next four months and realize they hate black people when they had no clue before. Just like nobody is going to wake up in the next four months and realize they are down will all folks..regardless of race/gender/creed blah blah blah.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,856
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

What's gonna get nauseating is all the whining both sides'll do over the 'bad' treatment they receive from the other side.

How about a novel approach & let the issues decide it.

If you impress the people enough with your issues, you could be polka dotted & they'd vote for you if they could see that there was something in it for them.
__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ongoing Sports Betting Thread suedon1970 The Lounge 262 12-23-2008 02:43 PM
Now Hillary plays the 'gender' card... Tarkus Politics & Religion 20 05-24-2008 12:28 PM
Jeter Card! IntheNet Major League Baseball 1 03-04-2007 01:24 AM
Replace Tie-Breakers With Playoff Games? Anthony National Football League 15 09-25-2003 03:09 AM
Sports Central Newsletter - #58 - Baseball's Wild Card; More Marc News and Announcements 0 08-27-2001 03:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.