Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-24-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Luv
Sports Enthusiast

Luv is on a distinguished road
Question The odds of Ricky Williams coming back and Winning the Superbowl in 2yrs. w/trade

WOW! Who would of ever thought of this? The chances are great. Can you imagine if somehow the Eagles could work out a trade to acquire Ricky Williams..................Man O man O man Look Out could be trouble. How about letting him go to Arizona. I see it like this. When he returns he beyond a shadow of doubt has something to prove. Put that extra fuel, along with his excellent work ethics, and what you have here sports fans is one big badd S.O.B. Put him with a good quater back and on a well balanced team(Detroit). You instantly become a STRONG playoff contender.
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I cannot see the Eagles trading for Ricky Williams. Reid knows he can get a good running game with lower priced backs he has done it every year since he has been there I don't see it changing next year. Unless Westbrook sustains a serious injury I doubt the running game will keep the Eagles out of the Super Bowl. If anything does it will be the crappy linebacker play they have been getting this year or the injuries on the O-line will start catching up with them.

Besides, Ricky is not Reid's type of player. Reid wants guys on his team dedicated and committed to winning a Super Bowl. Winning a Super Bowl is not that big of a deal to Ricky Williams I just do not see him being a good fit in Philly.

Given that the Cowboys have two number ones this year I could see Jerry Jones floating a pick Miami's way to try and get him. JJ will probably be in panic mode after this season. Either that or Oakland will take him on. I am not sure that he is that great of an investment when the 'Phins are going to want some sort of value in return and Ricky has said he may only play one or two more years when he came back.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

The Cowboys will not get Ricky, that is not Bill P. style.

Ricky will go some where, how about the Saints? Ok, bad Joke.

The teams that could use Rick IMO

Oak
San Fran
Arizona
Dallas

Maybe:
Atlanta "like to see him here"
Lions

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 11-25-2004 at 12:15 AM.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:46 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, well Parcells really did not want Eddie George, but we see where he ended up don't we. If Jerry wants him bad enough Ricky Williams will be a Cowboy.

I doubt he goes to 'Zona the team really likes Marcell Shipp. Can't see him in Atlanta either when the Falcons have bigger things to worry about than its running game. San Fran needs everything, but I doubt they could fit him under the cap. They need to find the money to re-sign Peterson before worrying about getting Ricky. Lions have two young backs in Pinner and Jones I have to think they are going to give Kevin Jones more than a season to develop into something. I don't think Ricky is worth the investment for a team that is young or that are more than a RB away from being a serious contender as he is liable to retire again in another year or two.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:41 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
I cannot see the Eagles trading for Ricky Williams. Reid knows he can get a good running game with lower priced backs he has done it every year since he has been there I don't see it changing next year. Unless Westbrook sustains a serious injury I doubt the running game will keep the Eagles out of the Super Bowl. If anything does it will be the crappy linebacker play they have been getting this year or the injuries on the O-line will start catching up with them.

Besides, Ricky is not Reid's type of player. Reid wants guys on his team dedicated and committed to winning a Super Bowl. Winning a Super Bowl is not that big of a deal to Ricky Williams I just do not see him being a good fit in Philly.

Given that the Cowboys have two number ones this year I could see Jerry Jones floating a pick Miami's way to try and get him. JJ will probably be in panic mode after this season. Either that or Oakland will take him on. I am not sure that he is that great of an investment when the 'Phins are going to want some sort of value in return and Ricky has said he may only play one or two more years when he came back.

The Eagles' front office has changed its philosophy dramatically in a very short time - not only did they go after T.O. when everybody said that he wasn't "Andy Reid's kind of player," but they even welcomed back both Jeremiah Trotter and Hugh Douglas after both had left the team acrimoniously (Trotter especially). If they don't at least get to the Super Bowl if not win it this year, another high-profile move cannot be ruled out; and since the Eagles are barely averaging more than 100 yards rushing per game so far this year, running back could be a logical spot for that high-profile player (and remember that they have two second-round picks in the 2005 draft - their own and Miami's, the latter quite possibly turning out to be the 33rd overall pick- so they have things they can dangle in Miami's face should it come to that).

And not for nothing, but on Draft Day in 1999 the vast majority of Eagles fans actually wanted them to pick Ricky, and those in attendance booed loudly when they took McNabb instead. Ending up with both of them would be the kind of "poetic justice" this fan base - and even this front office - would revel in.

Last edited by Anthony; 11-25-2004 at 04:45 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Their lack of a running game at times has had more to do with injuries and less to do with talent though. Levens has gotten his legs back and is playing markedly better. The games where they struggled running the ball were the ones where Westbrook either did not play or was stilll knicked up with the rib injury. Their lack of rushing yards has more to do with the fact that they are 29th in the league in rushing attempts than anything else. They are top ten in the league in average per attempt and Westbrook and Levens bot average over 4 yards per carry. Everyone knows that Reid would throw the ball every down if he could get away with it.

TO is more of Reid's type of player than Williams is because he wants to win so badly. I think TO got a bit of a bad rap in SF because he was doing everything he could to get out of San Fran because he saw the writing on the wall that the Niners were sinking ship and not doing anything to improve the situation. He probably went about it the wrong way. Plus, they bit the bullet on TO because they knew they had to do something at reciever if they wanted to get to the Super Bowl.

Hugh leaving was not that bitter from the team's standpoint. Trotter's was because they got into a dispute over the franchise tag. Hugh they just let go because they did not think he was worth the money Jacksonville was ponying up. Douglas' departure recieved a ton of fan backlash, but I don't remember there being a lot of bitterness between Douglas and the team.

Philly fans wanted him so badly in 1999 because they had not back to speak of back then. They had Staley, who was relatively unkown at the time and little else. Given circumstances today I don't know that Philly fans are that interested in having the guy around.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Why would we need him? We got a perfect tandem of RB's.
I say the Eagles getting him would be a smart move because I just don't look at the Eagles as having a good running game
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:54 AM   #8
Anthony

What it comes down to is the relationship between the "risk" and the "reward;" if the Eagles didn't have to give up much to get Ricky it would be well worth it (if they only had to give up their own No. 2, as opposed to the Feeley pick, that might be an acceptable price).

Then again, Ricky may not be the only game in town at running back next spring, as there have been rumblings out of Minnesota that Michael Bennett is going to be put on the block (but here's a guy who really isn't Andy Reid's kind of player, with a rap sheet that includes a felony domestic-violence charge while he was in college at Wisconsin).

But if they do win the Super Bowl, forget it - then it definitely won't happen.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:33 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I have heard the Vikings have settled on Onterrio Smith as their guy and Bennett will be gone one way or the other next year.

I believe Travis Henry hits the market next season as well.

One also has to wonder how much longer Anthony Thomas is going to be willing to be jerked around by Lovie in Chicago.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:18 AM   #10
Anthony

Thomas would be best of all for the Eagles, as he would complement Brian Westbrook perfectly, and would be a huge asset late in games with a lead when you need someone to help you take time off the clock; plus he lacks the "character" issues that both Ricky and Bennett have.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:26 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Plus A-Train will come a lot cheaper than Ricky or Bennett will. One has to think that the Vikes and 'Phins are going to be looking for at least a number one or two for Ricky or Bennett while A-Train can probably be had for a three or four and his salary is going to be minimal compared to that of Ricky or Bennett.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:47 AM   #12
Anthony

What you gotta like about the "new" Andy Reid (who seems to have been "born" around this past February or so) is that he is so focused on winning to the exclusion of all other issues; witness his agreeing to take T.O. on board and, more recently, the three lineup changes he made on defense after just one loss (to Pittsburgh on November 7).

Yes, I can see him making a serious pitch for Anthony Thomas next spring; and he's got plenty to "pitch" with: Two #2s (their own and Miami's, for A.J. Feeley, who looks like he is going to start in today's game at San Francisco after all) and also two #3s (their own and KC's, for OT John Welbourn). Hey, I'll be almost surprised if Thomas is not in midnight green come next July!

And I'll be watching the Eagles-Giants game as the Bay Area's FOX affilliate will be carrying the game - unless of course a pre-game brawl breaks out in some other game early game FOX is covering! (Then I'll get to watch how the other half lives - the Fish-Whiners game!).

Last edited by Anthony; 11-28-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:58 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, sounds as though the odds are slim and none that Ricky ever wins a ring. Apparently he is not coming back after all:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=1936875
Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 PM   #14
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Ridky Williams won't play again. He doesn't want to. He would rather smoke than play football. He's a quitter.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 PM   #15
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

I can't believe he just retired again!

Every little hope or good I felt towards him is gone.

I am now a Ricky hater
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote