Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #16
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

EVERYTHING is perfect now.

I do not want to see a new team at all

4 teams in each division and everything matches up great. add 1 team and the balance is off.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #17
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddEnemy
EVERYTHING is perfect now.

I do not want to see a new team at all

4 teams in each division and everything matches up great. add 1 team and the balance is off.

How can you say everything is perfect when the second-largest city in the country doesn't even have a team?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:40 AM   #18
MaddEnemy
Always next year

They have had many teams, if they can't keep them it is not the worlds fault.

LA is a joke!

How many times has the Raiders been there?

Rams?

What is LA's problem?

Can't make a team happy? No new stadium?

It is all LA's fault, if they want a team they need to act like it, LA has had many chances over the decades to keep a team but wouldn't do what it takes to keep them in LA.

I could understand if LA never had a team or had 1 before but they have had many!

All I am saying is NO NEW TEAMS. Move the Cardnials to LA, Arizona doesn't support that team anway and let us see if LA really wants a team this time. If they can show up and support a Cardnials team......

NFL: Los Angels, Cardnials

What a sight that would be!

LA should have a team I guess but give them a trash team and prove they want and can keep a team before adding a new team to the NFL and putting everything out of wack

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 12-02-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:40 AM   #19
Anthony

It's a bit too late to have the Cardinals move to L.A., as ground has already been broken for a new retractable-roof stadium for them in Glendale - and that's Glendale, Arizona, not Glendale, California.

Personally I think it would be awesome if the NFL expanded to 34 teams, if for no other reason than it would just about force them to go to an 18-game schedule whether they really wanted to or not, because there would be no way to do the schedule the way they set it up in 2002 without adding two more games if there were 34 teams (one night when I had nothing better to do I tried to make it work with 34 teams playing only 16 games, and you'll just have to take my word for it - there's no way it can be done).

The second expansion team (and there would definitely be two because the NFL would not want to have an odd number of teams indefinitely) might not begin play the same year the Los Angeles team does; in that case the L.A. team would most likely play one game against each of the 16 teams that are in the NFC now (this is what Tampa Bay and Seattle did the first two years of their existence). Then the following year when the other team joins both new teams would play regular division schedules, and it would be then that the regular season gets lengthened to 18 games.

The only chance expansion will be prevented in 2008 is if the Saints move to Los Angeles - and while Tom Benson has been talking about doing just that, he's probably just using the L.A. threat as a shoehorn to get a deal for a new stadium in New Orleans.

But eventually - maybe around 2020-2025 or so - the NFL is likely to have 40 teams, five in each division.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-03-2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:40 AM   #20
MaddEnemy
Always next year

I just can't see the Saint leaving New Orleans. That is like the Dolphins leaving Miami but on the other hand it does happen "Browns", what a A-Hole owner that was and I really don't like the Browns but that was just WRONG!

The way you put it I would like to see happen. I just would like to see that 18th game be 1 less pre-season game. I can see 3 pre-season games and really would only like to see 2 but on the other hand if college can jump into it with no pre-season so should the NFL. These guys should be Pro's so pre-season is a joke IMO.

I would just rather have 20 regular season games VS. 4 pre-season and 16 regular season games.

If the Saints do move I would bet in 5 or less years you would have another team in New Orleans so where back to where we started. Maybe they can find 3 more places around the country to put a team.

LA/New Orleans
San Antonio
Portland more I think about it that was a good thought
Orlando
Alabama/Mississippi? probably not
Las Vegas
Old 12-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #21
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The NFL will not put a team in Vegas. They won't even air ads for the friggin' city's tourism board during the Super Bowl.
Nevermind that at least half the reason the SB is as big as it is is Vegas-related.

Dave
Old 12-03-2004, 05:05 PM   #22
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Minnesota is another team on the "Unlikely to Move List" but Red McCombs has threatened in the past to move the Vikings to his hometown of San Antonio. It seems he is more interested in selling the team now but this has to remain a possibility. If this happened or the Saints moved, there could be an expansion team in Los Angeles and one in the forementioned abandoned city.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:56 AM   #23
Anthony

If the Saints do move to Los Angeles there will be no further expansion for the forseeable future; and if an 18-game regular season did become a reality the most likely thing that would happen to the preseason is that every team would play three such games, instead of the current practice of most teams playing four and a few playing five, the Hall of Fame Game etc. merely being piggybacked onto the first week of exhibition games for all teams.

And the clear second choice for the other expansion team besides Los Angeles, after San Antonio, is Columbus, the fastest-growing metropolitan area in the United States.