Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-04-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default for the teams are coming soon. Here's my predictions for other categories...

Best QBs

1. Drew Tate
2. Chad Henne
3. Drew Stanton

Best LBs

1. A.J. Hawk
2. Chad Greenway
3. Bobby Carpenter

Best RBs

1. Michael Hart
2. Jason Teague
3. Laurence Maroney

Best WRs

1. Steve Breaston
2. Jason Avant
3. Ted Ginn

Biggest upset

1. Arizona over Purdue
2. Cincinnati over Penn State
3. Bowling Green over Wisconsin

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 07-04-2005 at 01:30 AM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

1. Paul Posluszny should be ranked higher than Bobby Carpenter.

2. Any reasoning behind picking Cincinnati over Penn State? I see Penn State losing only one home game this season (Purdue).

Otherwise very fair rankings, buckeye.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Arizona over Purdue is an upset?
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by DETMURDS
Arizona over Purdue is an upset?
Purdue is a contender for the Big Ten title and Arizona is looking like another season in the lower half of the Pac-10, is that not an upset?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Alex...

I have a feeling Penn State is going to struggle early despite playing pretty weak teams. Cincy has virtually no one coming back and may struggle to win 2 games this year. Still, the Lions have developed a bad habit of losing to weaker non-conference foes at home in recent years (Toledo, BC).

DET...

I'd personally label it an upset despite the game being played in Zona. Purdue is ranked in almost everyone's Top 25, if not higher, while Arizona is expected to continue rebuilding.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Toledo and Boston College also ended up with winning seasons and bowl appearances during those two seasons, PSU still hammers the weaklings. Other than those two examples I can't think of any other games that the Lions have dropped at home to weaker OOC opponents over the past five seasons. Two bad OOC losses at home in five seasons isn't that bad. Especially when you consider that 2000 and 2003 were probably the worst teams Paterno has ever had. 2001 and 2004 were remarkably similar where a couple of plays here and there could have changed the outcome of the season.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Every year, Buckeye picks Arizona to pick off a nationally ranked team (last year it was Utah, for which we pulled his pants down, pointed, and laughed at him). One year, his annual Arizona upset pick might actually come through.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #8
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Had it not been for Tropical Storm Javier, Arizona would have beat Wisconsin last year. Or at least that's what I tell myself as in my head I replay Nick Folk's wide-right field goal attempt from that 9-7 loss. Oh yeah, they also beat Arizona State last November (then ranked No. 17).

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

This is the year KB !
Old 07-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #10
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Purdue will finish no better than 3rd or 4th in the BIG 10. Michigan will knock off Ohio State easily this season, and Michigan finishes the season as the #3 team in the USA after a big bowl victory.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

If Michigan doesn't knock off Ohio State easily this season DET, you have to come around and say Carr goes. The Wolverines are vastly superior to the Buckeyes this year, esp. on the lines, where they make Ohio State look like a junior high team.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Vastly superior, Buckeye? Are you using some sort of psychological technique where you convince yourself they suck so if they have a good season, you're even more pleased? They return 9 starters on each side of the ball from a team then ended last year red hot, and at least half of the prview mags I see are picking OSU ahead of Michigan, if not Iowa. You know something they don't?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I know the it all begins up front KB. Blue is loaded on the lines. Easily the best hogs in the Big Ten, and IMO, the best in the country. They have an established QB that has a clean nose (paging Smith) and a proven RB in Hart (love Pittman, but he doesn't have the experience or numbers of Hart). They also have the best receivers in the league over OSU (Santonio "I fumble constantly" Holmes is getting too much love in the mags), despite losing Edwards to Sundays. Throw in Breaston on special teams (see Rose Bowl outburst of last year), a returning accurate kicker ( Mike N. is gone), and the game being in Ann Arbor, and I have no choice but to pick Blue. OSU has the edge with linebackers, but are under a new D coordinator, which concerns me. Give OSU a decent edge in the secondary as well, but going back to the lines, that's just too much pressure beyond the line for the Buckeyes to pull it out. The mags love the sexy skilled positions and star players.

I'm not saying OSU sucks, but they are clearly a notch below Michigan this year. I see 8, most likely 9 wins for the Buckeyes this year. Michigan should go undefeated, but I think Carr has used up his perfect season already. His bad coaching will cost Michigan one, perhaps two games this year. Hoping that one is against OSU though.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

Seems like that consistency of being a notch below Michigan is good with Michigan leading the series at 56-38-6.

Did you know that Michigan once beat Ohio State 86-0! FACT!

This is why Ohio State worries so much about Michigan!