Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Enough of These "Siesta Bowls" Already!

Those of you who have seen this week's SCMB Pick'em Contest may have detected a pattern as to which of the six games were not included in it.

Well the pattern is this: All six of the excluded games involve teams that are both already in the playoffs and whose seeding has already been determined, and therefore may be resting players in what for them is a meaningless game.

Of course this problem has an amazingly simple solution - yet one that has absolutely no chance of being implemented:

Abolish predetermined, neutral sites for the Super Bowl, instead giving the team with the better record home field advantage!

If this was in effect, do you think the Cowboys and the Colts would be holding their starters out, if they were battling to see who would host the Super Bowl should the Patriots get upset in the playoffs? And would the Redskins and the Titans be getting what amounts to a free pass into the playoffs?

True, I suppose somewhat less money would be made by all concerned with the upcoming Super Bowl most likely in Foxboro, Massachusetts instead of Glendale, Arizona. But why does the Super Bowl exist - to crown the champion of the National Football League, or to make as much money as possible?

If the players are to be held to a higher standard regarding performance-enhancing drugs and the like to preserve the "integrity of the game," shouldn't the owners be held to a higher standard on the same grounds and accept a few million dollars less from the billions they make out of the post-season?

Seems to me as if what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I hear ya Anthony - you make a great case... too bad its all about the money. I wish we could see Superbowls in the snow instead of these fairy domes that these wimpy teams play in.
I wish College football would adopt a playoff system instead of 50,000 bowls that mean nothing IMO.

Unfortunetly thats the way it is, and we gotta live with it. But great post man!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately I am not sure it would matter all that much. It is not as though fans get a chance at the premo seats to begin with. Those are all scarfed up by sponsors and such before season ticket holders even get a shot to buy tickets.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The NFL has bigger fish to fry IMO.

If anyone (aside from me of course ) ever figures out that only 5 of 75 NFL Champions have finished the regular season with a winning percentage less than 69% the entire operation is in jeopardy. Going by that, only 4 of 16 games this weekend have any merit to them.

To win 69% of your contests in a 16-game regular season you need 11 victories (without ties).

Just a bit of trivia.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:26 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Unfortunately I am not sure it would matter all that much. It is not as though fans get a chance at the premo seats to begin with. Those are all scarfed up by sponsors and such before season ticket holders even get a shot to buy tickets.

The fans aren't really the issue - the players and coaches are: If your team plays in a warm-weather or indoor venue, and winning your last regular-season game would enable you to evade a potential road game in Green Bay or Foxboro on the first Sunday in February, wouldn't you go all out to try and win that game?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote