Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Georgia Tech runs all over Georgia with Triple Option...

I love seeing the Option ran at a high level. Today, Tech did that against Georgia, winning that game 45-42 after trailing by 16 at one point in the game. Roddy Jones ran for 214 yards and Jonathan Dwyer had 144 yards rushing.

Josh Nesbitt's job leading that option was fun to watch because he was really good at holding until the last moment, taking the hit and making the pitch to spring his backs for big gains.

You don't often see the option performed at that high a level any more, especially against the top teams from big conferences.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Impressive win by Tech, but I hate the option. To me, it's an inferior offensive scheme designed only because the college QB is inadequate at throwing. There's a reason the option isn't run in the NFL. In college, you often end up with great athlete QBs who don't have downfield accuracy, so they run the option. It just seems very JV to me.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Jonathan Dwyer is an underrated player for Ga Tech. He is going to be a good pro back in a couple of years.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Impressive win by Tech, but I hate the option. To me, it's an inferior offensive scheme designed only because the college QB is inadequate at throwing. There's a reason the option isn't run in the NFL. In college, you often end up with great athlete QBs who don't have downfield accuracy, so they run the option. It just seems very JV to me.
No, the reason why the option isn't run in the NFL has more to do with protecting the QB rather than the scheme being something inferior. The QB takes a big hit on almost every play...not only that, but the way it is designed, if effective, the QB takes an unprotected big hit on almost every play.

The way things are currently, obviously it's going to be used more the lower the level of football. You can't run it in the NFL because of the risk of injury and it's definitely become that way in college football as well. But, I don't think that the reason why it isn't run has anything to do with it being inferior.

If you run it effectively, it's the only running scheme that really accounts for every defender, minimizes risk and has high reward. You can't say that about many other systems aside from maybe what Bill Walsh did.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am not sure that offense works in the NFL even if you are not concerned about your QB getting hurt. A successful option offense is largely predicated on your QB and RBs being able to consistently hit the corner to where the QB either pitches to the back or keeps it and turns upfield. Defenses are much faster and more disciplined in the NFL making it tougher to hit the corner consistently. Secondly is the college game has the wider hashmarks which gives teams more room to operate on the wide side of the field making it easier for speed backs to get the corner and turn upfield.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote