Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default 05/06 Hot Stove League Thread

This is just a generic thread to discuss the ongoings in this off seasons Hot Stove League. I'll start with a list of some of the major goings on to discuss:

-Joe Girardi is the new manager in South Florida taking the Marlins' job. It should be interesting to see how he fares as he has no minor league managerial experience and one year of MLB coaching experience. I still cannot help but wonder if Jim Tracy would have been the better fit here.

-Will Theo Epstein stay in Boston? I have heard on sportstalk radio that he wants a deal similar to the one Cashman just got and that the Sox are lowballing him offering him a salary under the MLB average for GMs. He has been a bit of a scapegoat for the Sox not making the necessary deals to get the Sox back to the Series this year. But, in his defense there really was not much to be had on the trade market to significantly upgrade their pitching. The Sox lacked a true ace this year and A. J. Burnett is not exactly an ace and I cannot blame him for not wanting to take Mike Lowell's boat anchor of a contract.

-The Dodgers' can Paul DePodesta as GM. What fiasco this franchise has become. They let him run Jim Tracy out of town who is widely regarded as a quality big league manager and now they are firing him as well. Do the Theo to LA rumors know come to the forefront?

-Man-Ram has asked to be traded again and reports earlier in the week had him wanting to play in either Cleveland or Anahiem next year. Problem being for the Sox is Manny is now a 10 and 5 guy which means he can veto any trade that comes about involving him and the Sox cannot just dump him to be rid of him once and for all.

-Where will Torii Hunter reside next year? Late season reports had him putting his residence in the twin cities on the market and telling his friends and family that his days with the Twins were over and he expected to be playing elsewhere next season. Early rumors had the Yankees offering a package highlighted by Robinson Cano for him.

-Leo Mazzone goes to Baltimore is perhaps the most intriguing development to-date. Does this signal the beginning of the end for the Braves? And, does this now put the O's back in the mix in the A. L. East? They have a couple of good young arms to build around in Erik Bedard and Daniel Cabrera and A. J. Burnett had expressed some interest in going to Baltimore during the season. Not to mention Mazzone could be a good reason for B. J. Ryan to stick around.

-Will anyone take a flyer on Sammy Sosa or Raffy for next season?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote