Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2004 ALCS?
New York Yankees 4 36.36%
Boston Red Sox 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default [MLBPlayoffs.ALCS] NY YANKEES vs BOS RED SOX

Let the rivalry begin
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

In all honesty, I think the Red Sox have a better team than the Yankees have right now. Their pitching staff just shut down one of the best hitting teams in the league, also one of the hottest, their offense is as good as the Yankees, and their defense has been improved with the acquisitions of Mientiewicz and Cabrerra. Getting Nixon back helped as well.
I can see the Yankees having a lot of trouble with the Sox, as they do not have the dominating pitching they've had in the past, nor is their offense as good. They still make the plays when they need to though.
Red Sox in 6.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

After starting the season 1-6 against Boston in two April series, the Yankees were 7-5 against Boston the rest of the season. I understand that Boston has the better staff, a line up nearly equal to the Yankees and a deeper bullpen but this series comes down to who knows how to win. Whenever faced with adversity this season this team overcame it. When Brown went down in early Septemeber, Lieber and Mussina stepped up and picked up the pieces. The Sox may have the deeper bullpen but they don't have two automatic guys out there like Gordon and Rivera. Foulke hasn't been his best this season (I should know, I had him on my fantasy team). The Yankees will do whatever is in their power to keep Boston from getting to the World Series. It doesn't hurt to have Babe Ruth on your side either. Terry Francona will make that "one crucial mistake", whatever that may be, and deny Boston fans yet again. Yankees in 7.

Last edited by Alex; 10-10-2004 at 06:32 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Red Sox in 6. I should say Red Sox in 5 though, because outside of Mussina I don't see anyone who can at least hang around with Schilling or Pedro.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know Kevin Brown looked awfully sharp Friday night. He threw 62 of 84 pitches for strikes did not walk anyone and only allowed one run in six innings. The only cause for concern in that game is that the pen came in and allowed three runs after Brown was pulled. Does Brown have enough left to pitch into the seventh or eighth inning is the real question. Brown and Mussina both seem to be finding their grooves here of late and should be able to hang in there and battle with Schilling and Pedro. But, given how inconsistent both have been this year they could also get lit up just as easily.

This series is likely going to come down to who pitches better between Arroyo and Lowe or Wakefield and Vazquez and Lieber or Hernandez and which teams bullpen can hold down the fort in the later innings.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Red Sox in 6. I should say Red Sox in 5 though, because outside of Mussina I don't see anyone who can at least hang around with Schilling or Pedro.
Apprantly you didn't pay much attention to the Minnesota-New York series since outside of Vazquez the Yankees got stellar starting pitching, especially from Mussina and Brown who both answered whether they could be reliable or not. Don't forget El Duque is still out in the bullpen. Supposedly he could've pitched in Game 4 so I would assume he'll be available immediately in the ALCS. He'll either be the starter that saved the season or hell of a weapon out of the bullpen.

Schilling is the only Boston starter that the Yankees should be afraid of. Martinez has struggled of late against the Yankees. It COULD be argued that the Yankees' starting pitching as a whole is more reliable than Boston's. Obviously the Yankees don't have the two dominant guys at the top but I'd take Lieber, Hernandez and Vazquez over Wakefield, Lowe and Arroyo.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think Lieber and Arroyo is probably a push. Lieber was just okay, but nothing special against Minnesota. Arroyo pitched just as well if not better considering he was going against a slightly tough lineup in Anahiem.

Hernandez, Vazquez, Wakefield, and Lowe are probably the biggest question marks coming into this one. The reason I say Hernandez is a question mark as it remains to be seen if his shoulder will hold up enough to give the Yanks some quality innings if they need him to.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Hernandez, Vazquez, Wakefield, and Lowe are probably the biggest question marks coming into this one. The reason I say Hernandez is a question mark as it remains to be seen if his shoulder will hold up enough to give the Yanks some quality innings if they need him to.
I agree with you about Hernandez. It's unknown what his role is/will be at this point. There are reports coming out that there was a death in Mariano Rivera's family and he is back in Panama right now. I assume the Yankees will have him on the ALCS roster whether he has to miss a game or two or not. Perhaps if Rivera does indeed miss some time Gordon would become the closer and Hernandez could become the set up man. It would be an easy way to slowly transition him back into the game.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

Alex very good point about the Yankees "knowing how to win" ..... and this is a telling statement for many reasons. A quick look at the MLB postseason record book will show that many current Yankee players (Jeter, Williams) are among the leaders for post season records/stats.

The Yankees are a very VETERAN playoff team. They've been here before and I'm sure they'll be here again. They know what to do.

Minnesota played with the Yankees in the ALDS and as Lew Ford noted appropriately ..... the Twins kept with the Yankees. Unfortunately for the Twins, the Yanks came back and pulled away in a couple of the games in extra innings. Could the Twins have beaten the Yankees? No doubt, but unfortunately they allowed the Yankees a couple of windows of opportunity and in typical Yankee fashion, they capitalized on their opponent's mistakes.

IF and I mean I big IF, Boston does win this series, it will be because they play flawless baseball and their bullpen doesn't self-destruct. I have no question that Boston can light up any starter at anytime. Similarly, I think the BoSox have a superior starting group. The bullpen will really have to win it for the Sox against the come-back-kids.

I hesitate ..... but think that the BoSox win in 7 hard-fought, highly offensive games.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, ESPN is reporting that he has gone back to Panama. But, I gotta think if Jacque Jones can swing the funeral of his father and still play that Mariano will be there. If not the Yanks could be screwed without him. But, then again the Sox seemed to have his number a couple of times this season...
Old 10-10-2004, 09:54 PM   #11
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Damn I hope the Sox win.....

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am pulling for the Sox to win too, mostly because it would be a great story and I am just tired of seeing the Yankees there for what seems like every season.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:43 PM   #13
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I will be pulling for the Sox big time. You knew it they were going to get to the series, they would have to go down this road.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:03 AM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Yeah, ESPN is reporting that he has gone back to Panama. But, I gotta think if Jacque Jones can swing the funeral of his father and still play that Mariano will be there. If not the Yanks could be screwed without him. But, then again the Sox seemed to have his number a couple of times this season...
Rivera will be with the Yankees tomorrow night for Game 1 per the New York Times. I'd post a link to the article but it's a subscription site.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I'm glad to see the Yankees at "full-strength" for the Red Sox series. I'd hate to see them have a built in reason to whine if they don't win it.
Seriously, there is a reason the Yankees have won all of the world series titles they have. They are an excellent "big-game" team. They come together and make all of the plays at crunch time and are a formidable opponent for anyone in the playoffs.
Should be a good series, but I still think the Red Sox are slightly better than the Yankees are right now.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote