Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Nationals: A disgraceful organization

The Nationals find themselves in a bit of a predicament with Alfonso Soriano refusing to play left field. They responded by wanting to put him on the disqualified list. This is an absolutely disgraceful attempt to find a solution for a problem that they created.

They knew going in that he was NOT going to play the outfield and I gained a ton of respect for Soriano yesterday in sticking to his guns in not going to play the outfield. Soriano is a second basemen. The Nationals knew he did not want to play outfield and knew he would not. They traded for him nonetheless and tried to force him out there.

Now that he wants to go they want to put him on the disqualified list. Absolutely wrong move on their part. I lost a lot of respect for that organization. Just classless, classless people trying to treat human beings like machines. They made a mistake, now they want to correct their mistake by punishing Soriano?

ZERO chance of Soriano going on the DQ list. Soriano would file a lawsuit and win easily. Selig is not stupid, so he won't be on the DQ list.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I completely disagree with you, Doug. Soriano is the one that's in the wrong. He's being selfish for refusing to switch positions just so he can play second-base and earn more money in arbitration next offseason.

Craig Biggio was a class act and switched to the outfield to help his team win.
Alfonso is a self-absorbed player that's basically saying, "Screw the team, I want to play second base so my numbers look great compared to others at my position so I can make lots of jack."

The Nationals were dumb for trading for Soriano knowing full well he would stick to his guns. But I don't blame the team for trying to deactivate a clubhouse distraction like him. I really don't have any idea if they will succeed, however, since I can't recollect a precedent for this.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

If the Nats had no intention of playing Soriano at 2nd why would they trade for him? I wonder if they explained this to him before he signed? If they did then the blame would be on Soriano, if not the blame is on the Nats.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

You're both right.

Soriano made it very clear that he did not and would not move to the outfield. Washington knew this, they traded for him anyway, then tried to force him to move, despite his objections. I don't feel bad for them at all.

That said, Soriono is a terrible, terrible second baseman as a fielder. He's horrible. Statisticly, he might be one of the worst second basemen of all time. Ranger fans learned to hold their breath when the ball was hit his way and it's one of the reasons he's no longer there.

It would be to his benifit to switch positions, but it also means he won't be going in the Hall of Fame (although any chance of that is probably heading out the window right now).

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

From what I understand, the Nats knew that Soriano was adamant about playing second (one of the reasons the Rangers traded him).

This situation really doesn't have a winner; the question is who is the biggest loser. To me, it goes:

1) Soriano - selfish ballplayer
2) Washington GM Jim Bowden - For making the trade and not having a backup plan
3) Nationals - Basically losing a good player (Brad Wilkenson) for a player that won't play for them (in essence, nothing).

If things play out right, this situation may give Isiah Thomas a run for his money...

Old 03-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised he didn't even give the outfield a try, especially in a meaningless spring training game.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

The Nats were wrong in signing him if they knew he wanted to play 2B. However, at the $$ he's being paid he should play where ever they want. You're on a team, the coach tells you where to play. What ever happened to "I'm here to help this team win." If that were true, he'd move to OF. Vidro is the better glove, no question.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 AM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think Soriano is completely in the right on this. The main thing that bothers me is their idea of a solution for the problem. A problem that despite Soriano's selfishness, they brought upon themselves. Their only solution is to attempt to take away his livelihood and make it so he doesn't get paid.

I think that is a disgraceful way of trying to clean up your mistakes. The Nationals need to take more personal accountability for what they did wrong and live with it, not ruin a man's career because of their errors.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:47 AM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Soriano's situation was the topic on Outside the Lines tonight. Ken Rosenthal said that if the Nationals were to deactivate Soriano, he would probably lose the arbritation hearing. That was surprising to me.

The one that could end up the worse in all this is Bowden. Soriano, even if he burns his bridges in Washington, could probably get a job at 2B somewhere in the league. But what Bowden did was Isiah-esque.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:06 AM   #10
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

It was not a smart move to get Soriano when he does not want to play the OF, but I think Soriano should be ashamed of himself. The guy is making 10 million dollars this year and this is how he acts. He is like so many of today's athletes though, selfish and greedy as well as spoiled. It seems to me that he does not care about the team at all.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I agree with Doug. The Nats knew he didn't want to play in the outfield, but they traded for him anyway.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

But I say "too bad". Your employer wants you to play OF, so you do it. If you don't want to, you quit and fork over that $10m contract.
I agree w/ LA - I think he said it perfectly "Soriano should be ashamed of himself".
You should come to a team with the additude "I'm hear to help in any way I can to bring a championship to (insert city)".
Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Why should he play OF? The argument that he should do it simply because the employer says so just lacks substance.

If you work accounting in a company and they go to you "hey, do you want to go unload a truck" would you expect the employee to do it? Hardly. Employers don't have the ability to force their employee to do whatever they want.

ESPECIALLY denying them from earning a living in their trade.

If they want to cut Soriano so that he can either collect the money they owe him or work somewhere else, they can go ahead and do that. They can't just not pay him and force him to not play anywhere else.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Unloading a truck and sitting behind a desk pushing papers are two different things. You're part of a team, you hit where ever they want you to hit in that lineup, you play on the days they want you to play, and you should play what position they want you to play. Now if you suck at that position then its on the Manager/Coach.
What's next, he'll refuse to lead-off? This is BS. I'm not saying he has to... he can walk anytime he wants and someone else will pick him up. But don't be a baby and sit on the bench rufusing to take the field cuz you don;t wanna play OF... that's little league shat!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Left field and second base aren't two different things?

Say he goes to left field and is average. He was only average at second base, so this might be a bit of a stretch. But, just for the sake of argument, let's say that he is equal in fielding ability at both spots.

Now, he has a contract up. With all things equal, he's going to want to play second base. Why? A 2nd baseman with his power numbers is harder to come by than an outfielder with those numbers. A team would love to add Soriano as a second basemen on a free agent contract, but will be less inclined to take him at second base.

He has to be better at fielding his position in the outfield than he is at fielding second base to earn the same money in his next contract.

Quote:
I'm not saying he has to... he can walk anytime he wants and someone else will pick him up.
Soriano can't walk and get picked up by another team, though. He'd have to sit out this season and try to hope a team signs him after a year of no ball. He wouldn't get paid and would risk getting paid a lot less next season.

So, your argument is nice on the surface, it just doesn't dig deep enough.

Players probably refuse to bat in certain spots of the order more than we think they do. Bobby Abreu refused to bat leadoff for the Phillies and has basically demanded to hit in certain spots of the order, which is bad because he should be hitting sixth. Just need to live with it. You might not want to balance their desire to earn a living with winning, but it has to be done.