Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #16
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a decent trade for the Sox. The Angels get another big bat and the D'Backs get some more kids to work with. It does, however, deplete the Red Sox farm system more.
Where does Frank Thomas end up? The White Sox bought him out for $3.5M. Can he stay healthy for an entire season again?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #17
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Why would the Padres do this? Did they just give up on Lawrence?

Catman
Old 11-05-2005, 12:24 AM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Supposedly the holdup on the Manny trade is the Angels reluctance to include Santana in the deal. I have not heard which prospects are supposedly coming in return from Boston.

I think Konerko stays in Chicago cutting Thomas loose was obviously a move to free up more cash to get Konerko signed.

The Sox are supposedly still interested in bringing Thomas back but at a discounted salary of course. Some AL squad will take a flyer on Thomas as their DH next year with an incentive laden contract. Since Raffy and Sosa are not coming back maybe the O's take chance on him if the price is right.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #19
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Thomas could always come back to Chicago, but for less money. it would be a sin to have the Big Hurt in any other uni.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #20
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

He could, but we all know that Ozzie has no real affinity for the guy and would not lose any sleep over the prospect of not having him around next year. That makes the prospect of Frank playing elsewhere next year fairly likely.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #21
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I would welcome Frank Thomas to the Twins. He could bring the big right-handed bat they need and allow the rest of the team to hit in their more natural positions.
Rumors have the Twins talking to the Phillies about Jim Thome as well. He is left-handed, but hits well against everyone -- when he is healthy.

Catman
Old 11-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #22
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
The rumored trade is supposedly Troy Glaus, Darin Erstad, and possibly Ervin Santana to Boston with Man-Ram going to the Angels and the D-Backs getting prospects back from the Sox.
I like this move for the Dbacks. With Glaus gone, Tracy could move back to 3rd and then Green would move back into right field so prospect Carlos Quinton could move into center. Glaus would then free up some extra cash to look for pitching help.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #23
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

A few interesting tidbts from ESPN's latest Rumor Central:

-St. Louis is rumored to potentially be the front runner to land Brian Giles. I'd love to see Giles hitting in front of Pujols. Imagine how many RBIs he will get with that .413 career OBP hitting in front of him. The only downside is that Giles is 34 and the Cards do need to get significantly younger in the outfield. Don't get me wrong he'd be a great replacement for Walker or Sanders he just is not a long term solution for them.

-The Mariners, Rockies, and Royals have made inquiries about Matt Morris. Have fun toiling in mediocrity the next five years Matt.

-Yankees may be interested in dealing for Milton Bradley. I have to say that seems a bit of a risk chemistry-wise for the Yankees.

-Twins are rumored to be interested in Bill Mueller.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #24
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

the Troy Glaus/Red Sox rumors don't really make too much sense given how badly the the team wants to bring up Kevin Youkilis full time. plus, Glaus' knee issues over the past two years have "breakdown" written all over him.

Darin Erstad's gritty, rugged attitude would be welcome in Boston.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #25
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, I think the thought is that Erstad could be a potential replacement for Damon in center and they are looking at potentially moving Glaus over to first base.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #26
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
A few interesting tidbts from ESPN's latest Rumor Central:

-St. Louis is rumored to potentially be the front runner to land Brian Giles. I'd love to see Giles hitting in front of Pujols. Imagine how many RBIs he will get with that .413 career OBP hitting in front of him. The only downside is that Giles is 34 and the Cards do need to get significantly younger in the outfield. Don't get me wrong he'd be a great replacement for Walker or Sanders he just is not a long term solution for them.

-The Mariners, Rockies, and Royals have made inquiries about Matt Morris. Have fun toiling in mediocrity the next five years Matt.

-Yankees may be interested in dealing for Milton Bradley. I have to say that seems a bit of a risk chemistry-wise for the Yankees.

-Twins are rumored to be interested in Bill Mueller.
The Yankees do need a CF because of the likely departure of Bernie Williams, but Bradley is a bit of a nutjob. So, Matt Morris may wind up going from an NL powerhouse to either a mediocre team (Seattle) or two really bad teams (Rockies/Royals).

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #27
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Milton Bradley could do well in NYC. Torre may be just the manager he needs to finally play up to his potential. This could be a good move for the Yankees.
As far as Bill Mueller to the Twins, they almost pulled the trigger on a trade at the deadline for him last season involving JC Romero, Kevin Millar and another player from the Twins. I would not have any problem with him playing 3B for the Twins.

Catman
Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #28
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
Milton Bradley could do well in NYC. Torre may be just the manager he needs to finally play up to his potential. This could be a good move for the Yankees.
As far as Bill Mueller to the Twins, they almost pulled the trigger on a trade at the deadline for him last season involving JC Romero, Kevin Millar and another player from the Twins. I would not have any problem with him playing 3B for the Twins.
Good point, if anyone will be able to whip Bradley into shape, it will be Torre.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, you know what they say: "There is often a fine line between genius and madness." I think that would apply if the Yanks happen to trade for Bradley. Either he settles in and shines or he spends the year clashing with guys like Randy Johnson, Sheff, Larry Bowa, and A-Rod.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #30
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

If he clashes with the marquee players, he'll be traded for prospects or another player.
I would not be a bit concerned about Bradley in New York. Torre allows only 1 ego in the clubhouse -- his.

Catman