Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default John Rocker vs. Bud Selig...

Controversial Rocker says baseball knew he was using steroids

Former major league pitcher John Rocker said Monday that baseball commissioner Bud Selig knew he failed a drug test in 2000 and that doctors for the "league" and the "players association" advised him and several Texas Rangers teammates on how to effectively use steroids.

Rocker, no stranger to controversy, made those comments on Atlanta radio station Rock 100.5.

Later Monday, he told Atlanta sports talk radio station 680 The Fan that "between 40 to 50 percent of baseball players are on steroids" and "in 2000 Bud Selig knew John Rocker was taking the juice."

Last March, Rocker told ESPN Radio that, by his own guess, "less than 10 percent" of players were using illegal performance-enhancing substances while he was in the majors.

"Basically it's a lot of media propaganda. It's a great scandal to drive ratings and sell newspapers," he said in March 2007.

Reached Monday by ESPN, Rangers executive vice president of communications Jim Sundberg said the Rangers will have no comment.

Major League Baseball issued a statement Monday evening that read: "John Rocker was suspended by Commissioner Selig prior to the 2000 season for making racially insensitive and homophobic remarks. As part of the disciplinary process, Mr. Rocker was referred to the confidential Employee Assistance Program [EAP]. Any test of Mr. Rocker would have been conducted by professionals who ran the EAP. Those professionals were obligated to maintain the confidentiality of the result and to use it in developing a treatment and education program for Mr. Rocker. Further discipline was not an option legally available to Major League Baseball at that time."

Rocker's name was mentioned in the report delivered by Sen. George Mitchell regarding baseball and performance-enhancing substances in December.

The report cited a Sports Illustrated story that said "according to the Applied Pharmacy Services database, former pitcher John Rocker received two prescriptions for human growth hormone (somatropin) between April and July 2003. Rocker initially denied the allegations, but his spokesperson later reportedly said that Rocker had been prescribed human growth hormone in connection with shoulder surgery."

Rocker denied using HGH during his big league career in a March 7, 2007 interview with ESPN Radio.

"I never had a prescription for any HGH. If somebody's got a beef to make with me, show me a prescription," he said.

A day earlier, Rocker's publicist, Debi Curzio, said Rocker had purchased HGH, but only for medial reasons. Rocker said he was directed to purchase over the counter supplements before he had shoulder surgery in 2003.

"I was trying to pitch all the way up until a week before I had my surgery. And obviously feeling as bad as I was, I called every doctor I could [to find out] what can I do to strengthen my shoulder and give me more arm strength,' he said. "Every one of them said go to a GNC, buy something over the counter, human growth hormone, these very several amino acids ... basically [that] is the way its done."

"Did you take anything that you did not buy over the counter?" ESPN Radio host Erik Kuselias asked Rocker.

"Absolutely not," Rocker said.

ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3241448

What do we make of this one? Rocker claims Selig not only knew but had doctors on staff to help administer the drugs?

Make sure you check the scroll tonite to see if Rocker produces a receipt from a WWF event in 1998 or Selig has syringes buried beneath old County Stadium.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

It wouldn't surprise me too much. Rocker is a lot of things, but he is not someone that would make something like this up. Mr. Selig has a lot of explaining to do for his reign as commissioner.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The only problem is he seems to contradict what he told ESPN about a year ago on the same subject. He denied ever using anything like HGH in March of '07 and he estimated that only 10% were using performance enhancing drugs and now he is claiming he did use performance enhancing substance and that half the league is on the juice.

Is his assertion that someone in the confidential Employee Assistance Program told Selig he tested positive for something? Otherwise how would Selig know?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't know if he's truthful or not, but my first reaction was Rocker's just trying to get back in the news and capitalize on this mess.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote