Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default The WTF? Thread

DNA acquittals shaking up forensic science

excerpt:
Last week sheriff’s deputies in Chickasaw County, Miss., arrested Justin Albert Johnson for the 1992 rape and murder of a 3-year-old girl.

What makes the case noteworthy is that another man, Kennedy Brewer, was convicted and sentenced to death for the same crime. Brewer spent 12 years in various prisons and jails, including death row, at the Mississippi State Penitentiary in Parcham.

DNA evidence exonerated Brewer in 2001. But because certain prosecutors were reluctant to admit they made a mistake, Brewer remained imprisoned until last August. Charges against him are still technically pending, but they will likely be dropped soon.

WTF?

Why don't we ever address this type of BS? Why are idiots like this allowed to continue damaging & taking away people's lives? Why isn't there a prosecutable law that keeps these assholes in line?

Prosecutors to ask judge to exonerate man who served time on death row for girl's murder

excerpt:
Kennedy Brewer could be exonerated this week of the 1992 rape and murder of 3-year-old Christine Jackson. Last week, authorities charged Justin Albert Johnson, 51, in the child's death.

A hearing has been scheduled for Friday in Noxubee County Circuit Court to hear a prosecutor's motion to dismiss the charge that once put Brewer on death row....

"These crimes were identical and committed in the same fashion," Potkin said Monday. "Here you have two children abducted from their homes and killed, sexually assaulted and disposed of in a nearby body of water. These crimes occurred within a short period of time and less than three miles apart."

Forrest Allgood, who prosecuted both cases, said the evidence against Johnson in Courtney's murder will be presented to a grand jury. He declined to comment further on Brooks' case.

Attorney General Jim Hood, who was contacted by the Innocence Project about the cases, is not opposed to the attempt to have Brooks' conviction vacated.

"If the man is innocent, I want him out," Hood said. "But if he had some involvement, we need to determine that before his release."

WTF?

If??? You convict him on faulty methods & now you want to root around some more just to make sure? After all this time? Are you serious? You asses had your bite of the apple & now just want to save face. This BS is as criminal in it's own right as the crime itself.

What a sad joke.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Tark... this is disgusting, as you said.

You should check out a film called The Trials of Darryl Hunt. It is a documentary about a black man who was arrested and sentenced for a murder he didn't commit.

He spent over 20 years during the prime of his life, in prison. Even when DNA evidence proved his innocence, he was not released until years later...

Our criminal justice system is a mess. As you said, such mistakes and refusals to admit mistakes are just as criminal as any crime under review...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the tip, CK

While I hate to see or hear of this kind of crap, & we all know it's in abundance, I'll check it out...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Thanks for the tip, CK

While I hate to see or hear of this kind of crap, & we all know it's in abundance, I'll check it out...
No problem tark. I agree, I hate hearing this stuff and it really makes me question "human nature." However, we can only learn from our mistakes and it is important that people know these types of things.

Thanks for posting this.

Think Fresh.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Since I'm in a WTF mood:

A LOST LAPTOP, A $54 MILLION LAWSUIT

excerpt:
How much compensation does a consumer deserve for the loss of a laptop computer loaded with personal information? Raelyn Campbell figures it’s $54 million -- if you throw in a little extra for lost time and frustration.

Six months after bringing a damaged laptop computer into a Best Buy electronics store for repairs, and three months after the firm admitted losing it, Campbell filed the whopper of a lawsuit recently in Washington, D.C., Superior Court.

Best Buy has told Campbell that her demands are unreasonable, and has tried to settle for far less. But Campbell said she didn’t start out making astronomical demands. Months of stalling and brush-offs by the company led her to the drastic measures, she said....

A great example of a solid case that should be heading for a small claims court somewhere but instead turns into a waste of the courts resources & clogs up the docket. Why we won't do like in other lands where frivolous lawsuits turn into a punishment for the offender is beyond me.

She also had reached the limit of her patience. In November, she filed her $54 million lawsuit against Best Buy -- by herself, without legal representation.

The amount intentionally echoes another lawsuit that made headlines last year -- a case involving a D.C. judge who sued a dry cleaner for $54 million over a lost pair of pants. That case was eventually dismissed.
Campbell freely admits she picked the same amount in an effort to attract media attention....

While Campbell has no expectation she will win a multimillion-dollar judgment, she feels she is entitled to damages related to store negligence and an "explanation as to how my computer could have been stolen from a secure area" of the store.

She also wants a promise from the company that it will train employees on privacy issues and on procedures for preventing loss or theft of returned items.

WTdoubleF...

She admits that it will be likely dismissed & also that she's using the legal system for her own agenda? No matter how righteous or not an agenda is, doing this should get her a kick in the ass & charges for helping screw up an already desperately flawed court system.

Someone please tell me how we're the greatest nation on the planet but allow these kind of of idiots to lead us around by the nose. Just mind numbing...

Damn, I have to quit reading the news before I have an aneurysm...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Because I didn't know where else to put it WTF??

themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
themush
Banned

Hmmmmm..... I wonder who this is targeting???

Bar Dress Code
Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post

Bar Dress Code
Wow! Racism is alive and well...

Any idea what part of the country that is Mush?

Think Fresh.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Wow! Racism is alive and well...

Any idea what part of the country that is Mush?
Good ole midwest. Missouri.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Good ole midwest. Missouri.
Geez... that is ridiculous...

I would love to go to that bar... I would cause a scene :lol:

Think Fresh.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
themush
Banned

Now I've heard it all...

3rd Grader to Return to school a Girl

HIGHLANDS RANCH – The issue of being transgender usually pops up with students in high school. However, a 2nd grade biological boy wants to dress as a girl and be addressed with a girl's name.

"As a public school system, our calling is to educate all kids no matter where they come from, what their background is, beliefs, values, it doesn't matter," said Whei Wong, Douglas County Schools spokesperson.

Wong says the staff at one of Douglas County's schools is preparing to accommodate the student and answer questions other students might have. In order to protect the child as much as possible, 9NEWS has chosen not to reveal his school or other names that might identify the child.

"I see this as being a very difficult situation to explain to my daughter to explain why someone would not want to be the gender they were born with," said Dave M.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

I would rather be caught smuggling hashish in Turkey, wearing a T-shirt reading, "I'm with the goat lover===>" than to be an innocent black man charged with a crime toward a white in Mississippi.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:

Bar Dress Code
That type crap has been going on in some form forever. A bar I started frequenting about 20 years ago, had me wondering why, every now & then, would be seen handing t-shirts with the bar's name to people here & there.

I didn't know why till one night I came in wearing a (**Political Incorrectness Warning**) Dago T (sorry, Mush, that's what we always called it. :angel. Luckily I had helped out the owner on a few occasions & he didn't say a word. I found out later that it was cuz a local gang of Hispanics wore that & usually caused a lot of crap. So he banned the trouble makers & banned the shirts for everyone to avoid a discrimination suit. He let you put one of their shirts on tho if you wanted to stay.

That crap you posted is just ridiculous tho. Sign of the times...
Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

I didn't know why till one night I came in wearing a (**Political Incorrectness Warning**) Dago T ..
:lol::lol: I actually find that "slander" funny as hell. Am I a Dago? Damn right!!!!:thumbup:
Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Where I grew up in Chicago, there was a heavy Italian presence & I swear, just like in the movies, come summertime it was the dress of the day.

We never meant any harm & even talked like that with 'em. Of course that's back in the day when people took your meaning than twisting your words. If you meant it with no malice...no problem. If you meant it as an insult...buckle up.