Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 02-03-2001, 11:28 PM   #1
H. Tiemann Jr.
Grizzled Veteran

H. Tiemann Jr. is on a distinguished road

Hi,

So what does everyone think about the XFL game tonight?

There is a couple of good things, as well as some bad things. Here are some of the good things about the game.

1. Camera Angles- The more angles, the better.

2. Playcalling- I like were you can listen in on the offensive plays.

3. New rule changes- The best one is the no fair catch rule.

4. The Halftime show- Very nice when they went into the locker rooms.

Some things I don't like about the game so far:

1. Jesse "The Body" Ventura- Just shut up already!!!

2. The interviews- nice idea, but a little too much.

Any thoughts??

Howie

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. ---Vince Lombardi

H. Tiemann Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 11:31 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree with you on most of things.

Regarding the halftime show, they should have a little less time in the locker room and a little more analysis.

And I agree they are overdoing the player interviews. At times, it seemed like after every other play. Just let them play!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 12:23 AM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Is the XFL considered a "pro" league!?... because IMO, just like the WWF, there is not much professional about the league seems to handle itself.

"That kind of hit can lower your IQ." -- what kind of comment is that!?

...and what was with The Rock's opening introduction!?... every fourth or fifth word was either "The Rock" or "the XFL." Who talks like that!?

No coin toss? -- instead, they race for the ball!? That was kind of silly, I thought.... interesting.. but silly.

Did anyone else notice that both stadiums looked almost exactly the alike?

Did anyone else find it hard to listen to the game?... it sounded like the players were miked so everyone in the stadium could hear and, as a result, it was hard to hear the announcer as a TV viewer... then you hear a NASA-type voice (the coach talking though a mic to the quarterback)... and then the announcers talking at the same time... add in the noise from the fans (which most networks usually mute a bit).. it was too confusing at first, I found. -- I wasn't sure what to listen to.

What kind of rule is allowing players to put WHATEVER they want on the back of their jersey!?... at least it isn't like hockey where the announcer has to say, "Penalty to number 73, 'He Hate Me'."

As I said in another post, I was switching between the NHL SuperSkills Competition and the XFL game, and one time, when I switched back to the XFL game, it was a completely different game (Orlando vs. whoever) instead of the Las Vegas vs. Hitmen game, and the Vegas game was far from over -- was Vegas winning by that much they just decided to switch it, or what!?

I will still give the XFL another chance -- I'm not sure if I'll watch tomorrow, but I'll try to watch a complete game next weekend.

[Edited by SC-Lee on 02-04-2001 at 09:31 AM]
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 10:51 AM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
...and what was with The Rock's opening introduction!?... every fourth or fifth word was either "The Rock" or "the XFL." Who talks like that!?
The Rock talks like that. That's his character - and it's made him a mainstream movie star. The XFL is using the WWF's stars - probably because a lot of their WWF fans are watching.

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that both stadiums looked almost exactly the alike?
You mean the video screens and such or the stadiums themselves? The stadiums weren't any more alike than they are in the NFL. One was in Orlando and the other in Las Vegas.

Quote:
Did anyone else find it hard to listen to the game?... it sounded like the players were miked so everyone in the stadium could hear and, as a result, it was hard to hear the announcer as a TV viewer... then you hear a NASA-type voice (the coach talking though a mic to the quarterback)... and then the announcers talking at the same time... add in the noise from the fans (which most networks usually mute a bit).. it was too confusing at first, I found. -- I wasn't sure what to listen to.
I think they are miking up the players and stuff just too much - you are partially right.

Quote:
As I said in another post, I was switching between the NHL SuperSkills Competition and the XFL game, and one time, when I switched back to the XFL game, it was a completely different game (Orlando vs. whoever) instead of the Las Vegas vs. Hitmen game, and the Vegas game was far from over -- was Vegas winning by that much they just decided to switch it, or what!?
Yes, Vegas won 19-0, so naturally, they showed the closer game.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 10:59 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
The Rock talks like that. That's his character - and it's made him a mainstream movie star. The XFL is using the WWF's stars - probably because a lot of their WWF fans are watching.
Well then -- I guess we know why I don't watch the WWF now, don't we!?

Quote:
Originally posted by M. James
You mean the video screens and such or the stadiums themselves? The stadiums weren't any more alike than they are in the NFL. One was in Orlando and the other in Las Vegas.
Well, the one in Orlando was definitely larger in terms of seating capacity, but the endzone screens were EXACTLY the same and also the fields were EXACTLY the same... you never see that in the NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL -- it's always cutomized for the home team, not in the XFL, though (e.g.: the endzone says, "XFL" on the field instead of the team name... the center logo says XFL).

Now that I think about it, there was NO advertising on the field... that was a good change for once.
Old 02-04-2001, 01:01 PM   #6
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

I personnaly loved the XFL. They brought us closer to the game than ever before.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 08:35 PM   #7
FL Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FL Tiger is on a distinguished road

This is all I am going to say to you that badmouth the XFL.

First, I like football.

Second, I like this league because, for the first time in my life, I was able to go to a game where I actually make more money than the people on the field.

Third, I kinda like the idea of paying $25 for seats on the 50-yard line and not being surrounded by a bunch of corporate fat cats talking on their cell phones and closing deals. I like being surrounded by 40,000 young people like me watching the game and having a good time.

Fourth, I had an absolute blast making the eight-hour round trip drive from Tallahassee to Orlando, partying with my friends, bar hopping on Church Street, tailgating, and making the game the highlight of the weekend.

If you watch one XFL game and thought it was a joke, just apply your logic to last week's Super Bowl -- talk about a dud! I guess you'll never watch an NFL game again, either?? And those guys average over a million dollars a year!

The XFL is not competing with the NFL. It never said it was. If you want to watch, great. Real football fans will appreciate the effort.

If not, feel free to tune in to the 7-foot tall multimillion dollar freaks of nature in the --gag, gag-- NBA. Or tune into pro hockey where the regular season is meaningless because all but four teams make it to the playoffs. You've already made up your mind about the XFL, and the joke's on you. The XFL already got you to watch, which is something I haven't done with the NBA, hockey or soccer in years.
FL Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 09:10 PM   #8
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

I agree with Tiger 100 percent. Yeah, I thought it was weird that I made more money than them. It felt kind of good too!

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 03:55 AM   #9
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite part about the X.F.L.

My favorite part of the X.F.L. is the "coin toss". How they line up 2 players, 15 yards away from the ball and whoever gets the ball can choose what do to with the opening possession.

A guy in the Orlando game blew out his shoulder doing that. Where else can that happen during the "coin toss" but the X.F.L.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 07:49 PM   #10
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

i really liked the camera views how they were on the field and all.....
NickHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 09:29 AM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by NickHammy
i really liked the camera views how they were on the field and all.....
Call me "traditional", but I didn't like the camera behind the quarterback... I'd prefer the tradition skyline camera that... well... every single other football league uses... and the virtual first-down line marker.

Then again, this isn't a "traditional" football league, so.....
Old 02-07-2001, 05:17 PM   #12
SC-Jared
All-Star Player

SC-Jared is on a distinguished road
Arrow XFL

I loved the XFL, but I do agree they over-did somethings, and definitly stopped play way too much. They bragged that fans wouldn't be able to go to the refrigerator on 4th down, but we can now go after every play, because the next doesn't start for another 30 seconds, after a failed interview where the player just ignored the shill reporter.
SC-Jared is offline   Reply With Quote