Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Brewers fire Yost...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...57053310_x.htm

With the wildcard slipping away from them, the Brewers toss Yost to the side. The right move, I think, and it's pretty much the only thing that is left to save their season. Not sure how much of a shot this gives them to get the wildcard, now, but it's certainly more than it was at the start of the day. If this can spark them to win 4 of 6 with the Cubs, they've got a good shot at the wildcard because their other 6 games are split between the Reds and Pirates.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Wow, they did not waste any time on that. I guess they figured they need to do something since they have little to no shot of retaining Sabathia come November.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

So in other words they have given up on this season.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I would say the exact opposite of giving up. They gave up a ton for Sabathia, knowing they weren't going to keep him. They went for it this year, and right more or not, played the only desperate card they had left.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the move since this is the 2nd late season fade in a row with the Brewers losing 11 of their last 14.

For whatever reason, Yost can't unlock that stretch run mentality in this team. They could easily miss out on the post season after getting Sabathia which is just more salt in the wounds.

Sabathia came locked & loaded & the most of the team went to sleep. Maybe an interim may snap them out of their funk cuz it was obvious Yost wasn't gonna.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I agree... good move here. This team cannot afford to NOT make the playoffs. As far as talent goes, I think they are the best WC team out there in the NL.

All they need is to get in. They will not face the Cubs in the NLDS since they both reside in the Central so if they get out of the first round, anything can happen in the NLCS.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

From the way it was being described on TV yesterday this was a decision made by ownership and Doug Melvin was basically towing the line by saying it was a collaborative decision.

Here is a question for Doug Melvin. The Brewers are on pace to break the 3 million barrier in attendance this year. Do you significantly bump payroll and make a play to keep both CC and Sheets. If you can only keep one guy which one do you go after? Do you show loyalty and re-sign Sheets even though he has a tendency to miss at least 5 to 10 starts a year or Sabathia who has arguably been the best pitcher in baseball the past couple of months and a huge reason why you are in contention for the playoffs right now?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I think if they can only keep one, you go after CC. I'm interested to see what they do in terms of making a play for CC. Like you said, they are getting better attendance, so they might have more money to spend than most people suggested when they got Sabathia. I think they will try to feel Sabathia out about the money/NY/LA thing. If he would take the same money and go to one of those places over Milwaukee, then they might focus on Sheets.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am not sure CC is that hung up on where he plays as long as he is getting paid and his team has a chance to win. I may be wrong but he does not seem like the type of guy who gets hung up on the celebrity aspects of being a pro athlete that comes with playing in cities like NY, LA, etc.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

CC seems to enjoy being the "big man" in his city. The Brewers will throw a lot of money his way trying to sign him to a longer term contract.
As far as Yost's firing, the team was not playing well lately. He seems to have lost them. He is a good baseball guy and will learn from this experience. He'll get a shot somewhere else, as there should be several openings after this season ends -- Washington, Seattle, etal.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I don't like either of them really, but if I were forced to take one, I'd take CC. But I'm afraid he may require a long-term contract, and I hate long term pitcher contracts, and while I don't think he'll be like Bartolo Colon, I could see him breaking down before the contract was over. Better than Sheets though, who will break down while signing the contract.

But here's hoping they pull it out and win the Wild Card. I'd love to see a Brewers-Devil Rays world series. One of the few.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Oh, you know CC is going to be looking for Barry Zito kind of coin. At the very least he is probably going to get at least 80 over 5.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Agreed doublee. I've heard that he wants "Santana" money though.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

That is going to be a pretty tough sell to get that kind of money. He just does not have the body of work that Johan does. Santana has established himself as one of the game's best over the past five years while last year was Sabathia's first year of being considered amongst the game's elite. Last year was the first season Sabathia ever got a Cy Young vote while Santana has been top five the past four seasons running. Nobody has ever questions Santana's dedication or heart and I seem to remember up until last season there were some real questions as to Sabathia's dedication to the game.

With that being said if he is truly going after that kind of money then it is safe to say he will probably be wearing a Boston or New York uni next year. They are about the only two teams willing to scratch that kind of check.