Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 01-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road
Default What is up with the Mavs

Another game blown. I see it as comedy, but they are one of the "elites" and they are blowing games. They blew a 30 point game against the lakers all in the 4th quarter, they blew 22 against my team (clippers baby). and now the Nuggets. Those are just a couple of teams. There are a hell of a lot more.

They seriously need to trade away Walker and Dirk. Them jacking up up jumpshots is bringing down the team. When Nash, Finley, Howard, Jamison, etc. are working hard on the game, Dirk and Walker screw it all up. If they want any chances at being a good defensive team, they need to trade Dirk and Walker out. They are way too overrated. IIf i was the Mavs GM, I would trade Dirk, Walker, and Bradley to the Pistons for Ben Wallace, Mehmet Okur, and Darko Milicic.

C) Wallace
PF) Okur/Darko(when he reaches potential)
SF) Jamison
SG) Finley
PG) Nash

Although, I don't think the Pistons are dumb enough to make a move so assanine.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

You're joking, right? If that trade is so asisine, why did you propose it? No way Detroit trades Darko before he develops. They think he will become way better than Dirk, just look how high they drafted him. I agree that Wallace is the type of player Dallas needs, but that trade would never happen. The Mavs can't trade away Dirk and Walker because those are the main guys who make them a top team in the West to begin with.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:38 AM   #3
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Marc pretty much covers my point on this. They could trade Walker, but Dirk is out of the question in my opinion. The Mavs are a shooting team, and Dirk Nowitzki is quite simply one of the best shooters in the game. How can that harm them? The Mavs don't need a personnel change, they need a defensive boost.

What would be the point, anyway, of trading away two top-notch three point shooters and a long, clumsy center to get ONE good piece: Ben Wallace. Okur is "good" at best, and Milicic is far from being a capable NBA player.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Walker is not a top notch 3 point shooter. Maybe you do but i don't consider 27% from behind the arch top notch. I can see your points on Dirk but Walker needs to go. He is a team cancer. i already explaned that in the other Mavs thread.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Walker has a career 32.8% average from the three-point line; he has made 61 of 227 three pointers this season for a season average of 26.9%. In my opinion, the simple fact that he scored 183 points (of 748, for about 25%) from behind the arc makes him a good enough shooter to be a threat. 30% of all his shot attempts have been three-pointers, and he's converted 27% of those. Simple math enables one to notice that three-point shooting percentage need not be sky-high for a player to score effecitvely from the area; because to score 183 points, as Walker did, one can shoot: 92 two-point field goals (184 pts); 183 free throws; or 61 three-pointers.

According to Walker's season three-point percentage, he needed 227 attempts to score 183 points. His two-point percentage, obtained by subtracting the made and attempted stats for three-pointers from the overall made-attempted stat, is 49 percent. He would need to attempt 188 two-point field goals to make 92, and score 184 points. Subtract 61 from 92 and get 31, which is the difference between shots made from two-point range and three-point range. Next, subtract 188 from 227 and get 39, which is the difference between shots attempted. Now you know that with 39 more three-point attempts, Walker would have made 31 less shots, yet scored the same number of points. The three-pointer is a low-percentage shot, but what counts in the end is always the score.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #6
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

:blah: :english:
Old 02-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Carlos Silva
Grizzled Veteran

Carlos Silva is on a distinguished road

Yes, the Mavericks do blow some pretty high leads, but keep in mind they have alot of new players, and chemistry is a huge thing in the NBA. There rebounding has gone up, and i'm sure once they find there rythm you will see there true potential.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
TexasNative
Grizzled Veteran

TexasNative is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this rumor is true, but i heard Golden State's Nick and Dampier for Walker. The reason behind this is that GS wants to unload their big contracts with multiple years left and Walker is a big contract, that they want, and can opt out of his contract at the end of the year, which they believe he would. The draw back is Coach Nelson's love for a point forward. But the pluses are over the roof.

I hope this is a real offer and I hope Dallas isn't stupid enough not to take it.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Trust me. I think Dampier and Nick would help you guys a whole lot more than Walker jacking up 3 pounters and only hitting them 27% of the time.