Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #46
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

47, just because there are a couple of teams that refuse to go OOC, you can't say the entire conference sucks. You have some teams that just won't do it. But there are a few teams that do. (Add Arkansas vs. Texas to the list of teams i mentioned earlier) You can't penalize the entire conf. for the stubbornness of those teams.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #47
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Dublin Mike
47, just because there are a couple of teams that refuse to go OOC, you can't say the entire conference sucks. You have some teams that just won't do it. But there are a few teams that do. (Add Arkansas vs. Texas to the list of teams i mentioned earlier) You can't penalize the entire conf. for the stubbornness of those teams.
Mike,

I never said the conference sucks.........its a great conference with a great atmosphere for CFB.

I have only been talking about one issue........OOC scheduling. I would like to see the SEC do better in that area.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:12 AM   #48
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

On that area we are in agreement. I am an SEC loyalist, but the OOC schedule for some of the schools has been horrible. Before Clemson, UGA was doing a terrible job of scheduling, and don't get me started on Florida.

But like I stated, I think a lot of the schools are starting to do a better job. UGA gets Boise State in their opener next year, which should be interesting considering UGA is probably gonna lose half their starters (or more) this year
Old 10-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #49
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

47 wrote:
Quote:
Dave I am sure you will run to his rescue..........I'm expecting you.
Whu? What'd I do? What'd I say?

Was it not me who
a) said Southern Cal is better than Auburn
b) did the research and provided schedule numbers for this year comparing Auburn and Southern Cal
c) pointed out that Auburn should look more impressive than Southern Cal because they have played a predominantly creampuff schedule to date.

If it wasn't me, please inform me who it was.

Let me add to the above litany this: If I have to go with a coaching staff when the chips are on the table, at the college level, I'm going with Pete Carroll and Norm Chow over Tommy Tuberville and Al Borges. And if it comes down to QBs, I'm taking Matt Leinart over Jason Campbell.

Dave
Old 10-20-2004, 10:45 AM   #50
Sports Virtuoso

Is Georgia giving Boise a return game?

I hope the conference does pick it up there. I know alot of people from other 'big' schools would love to see SEC schools make a trip to them.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:48 AM   #51
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
47 wrote:

Whu? What'd I do? What'd I say?

Was it not me who
a) said Southern Cal is better than Auburn
b) did the research and provided schedule numbers for this year comparing Auburn and Southern Cal
c) pointed out that Auburn should look more impressive than Southern Cal because they have played a predominantly creampuff schedule to date.

If it wasn't me, please inform me who it was.

Let me add to the above litany this: If I have to go with a coaching staff when the chips are on the table, at the college level, I'm going with Pete Carroll and Norm Chow over Tommy Tuberville and Al Borges. And if it comes down to QBs, I'm taking Matt Leinart over Jason Campbell.

Dave
Dave,

I was only joking around with ya, I do hope you knew that.........lol.

Just seeing if you were awake............I should know you are though.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #52
Glen Willis
Sports Central Staff

Glen Willis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
That is not why FSU is ahead of Cal in the BCS standings. FSU has a significant enough edge in the computer polls that they would likely still be ahead of Cal in the BCS even if Cal were ranked fifth and were one slot above FSU in the human polls.

I am not complaining about the BCS standings right now, I am complaining about the human polls, which is what will eventually screw up the title game this year, unless the BCS gets lucky.

There is no logical reason that Cal and FSU should have swapped places based upon the results of their games versus USC and Syracuse, respectively.

I don't like the BCS stadings, but I still pay attention to them because I have to... but even though I have to, I pay very little attention this time of year, because it means so little right now.
Glen Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #53
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

47, unfortunately, no UGA is not going to Boise, which is a shame. Id love to see the Bulldogs on that blue turf.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:00 AM   #54
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

No Georgia to Boise State huh Mike? Hmmm...figures ( sorry Mike, I love ya buddy, but my hatred of the SEC is too much to bear).

Kevin...

I NEVER said that USC is a better team than Auburn, and that if you don't go outside your conference to big time schools, that you suck. I just want the CHALLENGE to be laid down. Like I said, look at Ohio State's future non-conf schedule that I posted. I don't think we'll win but two of those road games, but damn, it's going to be a college football frenzy down in Texas when the Buckeyes come down for a rare tangle with another traditional power from a far away land. Put that atmosphere in a bottle, and sniff it, that will get you high my friend and that IS college football at it's finest.

The SEC seems to hide behind the mask of having great rivalry play in conference and with a few select out of conference regional teams, that's just my opinion. I think we all know that to be true. But like I've said before, it's a SHAME for them to behave like that. When you don't do what Ohio State or USC does, acute observers start to question why you don't go out of your comfort zone and play someone. It isn't money, like Dave tried to claim before, because next to Microsoft and Wal Mart, if they were private organizations, I'd buy stock in a state run university. They are gold mines.

It's the unwillingness to take losses to others to ruin their prestige, and ( this is where I get " extreme" to even those on my side) the fact they would have to " do business" on and off the field with commie Jews from Chicago, tree huggers from Oregon, and dope smoking hippies from Berkeley. I know, I'm getting blasted for it AGAIN, but I just keep replaying the end of the Oregon State and LSU game over and over again, and laugh at how OSU got a little " grit fried" by the refs. And when Mike Gottfried, a southern gent himself, mentioned that " we have an all SEC crew here tonight" ( all but cementing his belief that LSU was getting nice treatment against the tree huggers), it just tickled me pink.

It is interesting to note that most of the current SEC members ( aside from Tennessee, the only SEC team with guts to take on someone from a foreign land) don't have but a few TO NO non-conf games scheduled in two years, and then going further out into the future. Why is that? Because some good old boy at Auburn can always call up a good old boy at the Louisiana school for the Disabled and schedule a football game a few months before it's suppossed to take place. Teams in the Big Ten and Pac Ten have teams lined up YEARS ahead of time ( see my Ohio St. future schedule). Now Dave would have you believe that since you don't know what state a program is going to be in, in oh say, 2007, you shouldn't get blamed for not giving them a call for a matchup. Nah, it doesn't fly. If I'm Auburn, and while I don't know the condition of Michigan's 2007 team right now, don't I have atleast a " hunch" that Blue is going to be " good" and esp. since I'll be going to the Big House? Yeah, they may be down, but more often than not, Blue will be on top of their game, and the Big House will loom over opposing team's chances for a W. We all know who and where it is tough to get a W, and the SEC avoid those teams like the plague.

I doubt SEC AD's even know the numbers to other conferences' schools.

Ok, blast away at my comments.

And BTW...33 and if anyone else doubts USC's strength of schedule historically, you've been living under a rock. Two things have been constant in this department since the early days of college football...

1. The Pac Ten, followed by the Big Ten, have traditionally had the strongest strength of schedules OVERALL, with the help of tough non-conf games, esp. on the road.

2. USC and Notre Dame almost always play the strongest ( land in top 10 if not) SOS in the land year in, year out.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #55
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

For the sake of accuracy, perhaps you should replace "don't go outside your conference to big time schools" to "rarely," since besides Tennessee, you have LSU Auburn, and Arkansas either recently making trips out west, or soon-to-be making that trip, per #47, and that's just right off the top of my head.

And for the record, I 100% reject your notion that the refs LSU/OSU called a biased game. I 150% reject the notion that they called a biased game becuase they don't like them' pinko tree-huggers. Oregon State missed three extra points! If they simply miss ONE, they win! I watched the whole game and I dont' even REMEMBER the call in question, though I vaguely remember Gottfried's comments. It couldn't've been that egregious.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:59 PM   #56
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

I'm praying for undefeated seasons out of USC, Miami, Oklahoma, Auburn and Utah. I just want the BCS to implode. I think Oklahoma is the shakiest of the bunch. They're game Nov. 6th at Texas A&M could be the end of their title hopes. USC is a lock for the Orange Bowl. I see them playing Miami, though history says the top 2 in the opening poll never both make it to the end. If Auburn runs the table in the SEC, you really can't deny them.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:48 PM   #57
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

I hope my Gators just end up ranked at the end of the year. That and actually winning a bowl game with Zook would be nice.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #58
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Kevin...

Recently, yes, the SEC has gone outside more, but still not on the level of the Big Ten and Pac Ten. Need more work there. Go on all their official websites and look at their future schedules Kevin. Yes, a little improvement, but very few teams even have schools lined up.

In OT Kevin, on LSU's possession, a few pass interference calls were the impetus of Gottfried's comments. And yes, I'm reading between the lines Kevin. Gottfried didn't put on a judge's robe and throw the book at them, but it was OBVIOUS what he was implying. With the game a last second scheduling matter, I don't think Oregon State demanded Pac Ten officials for the game. Ohio State DID just that for their home and home with NC St., knowing full well, if it came down to it this year in Raleigh, home cooking would be served because NC St. couldn't win a big game on merit if the other team didn't show up.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #59
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Who cares??????? Our conference is better than your's this year, whether we have played as much out of our conference or not. Just drop it. Even with y'all playing "such an outstanding out of conference schedule" we still continue to hold our own in the real out of conference schedule, which is bowl season. That is when we see which conferences/teams are for real.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:00 AM   #60
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

How can we tell, tigereyes, if your teams don't play anyone worth playing? We know how the Big 10 stacks up vs. the other conferences, because we play games against their teams. Saying the SEC is better is just pure conjecture at this point. You may be proven right, for all we know, but to say it now doesn't make sense.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote