George Bush (R) 11 50.00%
Ralph Nader (I) 1 4.55%
Other 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2004, 08:26 PM   #16
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I voted for other because I want one of those dudes who has those crazy ideas to win
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:30 PM   #17
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I voted Bush by absentee some weeks ago. Can't wait for tomorrow!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:41 PM   #18
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Marc, how come you voted by absentee? What kind of B.S. story did you give the government?...LOL.

Current standings...

Kerry 3
Bush 3
Cobb 1
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #19
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

Buckeye:
These days, in most states, you don't need a reason for an absentee ballot. I was thinking of getting one so I didn't have to leave the house on election day.

This won't surprise anyone, but I voted for Kerry and I plan to tomorrow as well, but I'll have to go out to do it...
Old 11-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #20
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

UGH ESP !

No, no, no ! ALL states require a reason for absentee ballots, which do vary, sometimes greatly from state to state. Some states are lax on the reasons and enforcement.

I am assuming Marc is registered in Virginia ( his home state) and voted by absentee because of being in school in Kentucky. That is a legal and valid reason by Virginia law. Students at higher educational facilites can vote absentee.

( Going into lecture mode like I'm teaching in class now)

Absentee ballots are A LAST RESORT AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. Absentee ballots are often the first to be contested, and are subjected to great scrutiny. Pennsylvania, your home state ESP, has some of the toughest absentee ballot laws and enforcement in the nation ( I believe it stems from a local or state result in Philly a few years back that was disputed). By voting absentee, you are taking a risk. Voter fraud by this method is very common.

NEVER vote by absentee ballot if you are not legally able to do so ( your ballot would technically be ILLEGAL ESP if you voted absentee without a reason or you " didn't want to leave the house"). Being a highly contested state, your ballot would be one of the first to be contested being an absentee, and having no legit excuse for voting absentee. Unable to produce credible evidence for voting absentee MAY disqualify your vote, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, OPEN YOURSELF UP TO LEGAL PROSECUTION FOR VOTER FRAUD.

Sounds conspiracy-like and far fetched, but we've got thousands of lawyers running around in the swing states, so be aware.

( End of lecture)

Voting results thus far...

Kerry 4
Bush 3
Cobb 1
Old 11-02-2004, 02:47 AM   #21
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I will vote Bush too....
Not that I'm too much into politics, but I prefer the good ol' Monkey Boy slightly more.
Anyone watch the South Park season premiere? Where Stan refused to vote for a new school mascot between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich? Parker & Stone are the KINGS of modern satire.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:48 AM   #22
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Well, 78, I hate to break it to ya, since you've clearly lost a little touch with what's going on in the world today, absentee ballots ain't being governed nearly so tightly right now.

The first and most likely to be left uncounted vote is the "provisional ballot" submitted by folks who end up not on the registration rolls, for whatever reason (went to wrong polling place, might have the name of a felon who's banned from voting, might have the wrong party affiliation or skin color, whatever the excuse of the disenfranchiser may be).

Meanwhile, if you notice, 78, the vote tally is kept at the top of the thread, unless you haven't voted (I don't think you did, because your other isn't counted; there'd be a total of two others, if you'd vote it).

Dave
Old 11-02-2004, 03:13 AM   #23
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Dave,

I hate to break it to you, but considering signed documents verifying legal grounds for absentee ballots are now law in PA, I'd say I'm closer to reality than you think. Democrats ( who don't like absentee ballots... it shows iniative and military...two pro-right groups) WILL, REPEAT WILL, CHALLENGE AND DISQUALIFY PEOPLE LIKE ESP WHO DON'T WANT TO GET OUT OF BED. YOU WILL, REPEAT WILL, BE CHARGED WITH VOTER FRAUD. Someone please head my warning here.

It is a VERY common misconception that states don't mind absentee ballots for the hell of it. That is because we haven't had an election with expectations like this before ( we knew 2000 would be close, but that circus was better than the one with lions, tigers, and bears). It is also because absentee ballots HAVE NEVER been requested in this great number ever before. We are talking about world records here. Provisional ballots are protected under NEW federal laws, saying you vote anyway. What they do with your vote AFTERWARS is another story. Ok, take a step back, FEDERAL LAW. MUCH easier to get a handle on ( but yes, the suits will spin their webs with them as well). State laws on absentee ballots, which vary greatly, are more abstract and subject to interpretation. In a worse case scenario, we will have suits going into old folks homes and checking to see if grandma REALLY couldn't get out of bed on November 2nd. The Motor Voter Law, which relaxed the standards of absentee ballots under Bubba a decade ago, is quickly becoming an agent of evil for both parties. Prediction: by the end of the decade, ALL states will have you sign a document verifying your inability to get to the polls if you used an absentee.

I'm doing more forcasting here Dave, grant it, I understand that. Say Kerry wins PA by some small number, like 3,000, and it puts him over the top for the White House. Bush's lawyers will hunt down ESP and show him his signature that he was unable to go to the polls, yet he has no credible evidence why. His vote gets thrown out, and it's voter fraud. To the Big House he goes, and I don't mean the one in Ann Arbor. You don't think these evil robots wouldn't do that?

LAWS ARE VERY STRICT in requesting, post marking, and verifying the validity of absentee ballots. They have just been traditionally lax, because we have never had the situation before us. I advise everyone, voting absentee or not, to go over the rules and your rights before you go to the polls. Votes are pawns to these people, not your civil right. Don't be fooled !

Signed, the Great Conspiracy Thinker, but also the realist who has seen the shift in absentee validity and importance since 2000.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 11-02-2004 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:59 PM   #24
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

However this election goes, I hope that after the election we can all focus on what needs to be done and become united as a country.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #25
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
Dave,

I hate to break it to you, but considering signed documents verifying legal grounds for absentee ballots are now law in PA, I'd say I'm closer to reality than you think. Democrats ( who don't like absentee ballots... it shows iniative and military...two pro-right groups) WILL, REPEAT WILL, CHALLENGE AND DISQUALIFY PEOPLE LIKE ESP WHO DON'T WANT TO GET OUT OF BED. YOU WILL, REPEAT WILL, BE CHARGED WITH VOTER FRAUD. Someone please head my warning here.

Do you have, I don't know, <em> any </em> reason to think that? Proof or anything? 'Cause it's garbage. If anything, Dems are rooting for a higher turnout. Republicans tend to be the stronger voting constituency in terms of numbers, so those in the Kerry camp would like to see more of the people who neglected 2000 and they tend to be the ones pushing the whole "rock the vote" and "vote or die" noise.

As for the SC poll, I voted for Kerry. No, I'm not a democrat. What I am is tired of this administration.

- we've lost more jobs in the past four years than under any other president's watch in history
- higher school dropout rates, particuallarly amongst minorites, thanks to "no child left behind"
- going from a $5 trillion surplus to the biggest deficit in America's history in only four short years
- this misconception that Bush has "leadership skills"
- the fact that Osama Bin Laden still hasn't been killed, but that Bush doesn't even talk about him anymore!
- the fact that anyone voting for Bush will accept empty rhetoric and deny the incredible failures of his administration
- we claim to be safer, yet Afghanistan is close to reverting back to its old ways now that our presence there is thinner. Iran and North Korea have advancements (advancements!) with regards to nuclear weapsons.
- Bush declared "Mission accomplished" in Iraq a year and a half ago
- he's friends with conglomerate monsters like Halliburton and Enron
- he's in bed with the Saudis who, I think you'll all remember, 17 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were citizens of

You know what guys? This country can only get better under someone else's care.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 PM   #26
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The lesser of 2 evils is Bush which isn't a comforting thought.

Kerry is just too scary for me....
Old 11-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #27
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

See, people keep saying that but they don't know what it actually means. Scary how? Does it get scarier than the last four years?

Maybe I should just slowly back away from this thread.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #28
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by savebykabi
However this election goes, I hope that after the election we can all focus on what needs to be done and become united as a country.
I don't see that happening here. The two sides are more polarized this year than ever before, because of Iraq and the fact things have been downhill for the economy.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #29
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Actually, #99, I do know what it means. I'm too lazy to start writing an essay on why that is tho. I just threw out my vote cuz that's what the thread called for. I wouldn't have posted if I knew it was gonna be graded....

All I can say is Bush reminds me of an idiot at times & Kerry reminds me of his illegitimate son. Once again, the lesser of 2 evils to me, that's all....
Old 11-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #30
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Difficult to imagine that anything associated with Dick Cheney can be viewed as "a lesser evil." I'm fairly certain his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather is Lucifer.

Dave