Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-04-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road
Default Spurreir turns down Florida

What a surprising turn of events. I was sure Steve would be a lock for the job
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't know I kind of got the impression he was butting heads with Foley when he left UF in the first place. I think he always wanted to try the NFL, but I think his not so great relationship with the AD helped make his decision easier. Besides, there are a lot of rumors out there that the 'Phins job will be his in February if he wants. it. My sense is he probably wants another crack at the NFL.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Take it for what it's worth but there are rumors Spurrier is interested in the Penn State job if it became available SOON. I doubt this will ever materalize into much but stranger things have happened...
Old 11-05-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Kool
Rookie Player

Kool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Take it for what it's worth but there are rumors Spurrier is interested in the Penn State job if it became available SOON. I doubt this will ever materalize into much but stranger things have happened...
Penn State? Like...the same Penn State that Joe Paterno has been coaching since 300 B.C.? I dont think so. I'm pretty sure that PSU would want somebody who knows how to run a *clean* program.
Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah right, JoePa will die as PSU Head Coach he ain't going anywhere anytime soon. I had heard a rumor that they may try and bring Neuheisel in to run the offense and serve as JoePa's heir apparent. Don't know that there is any validity to it though.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:08 AM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Kool! Them there's the third best brand of menthols.

Alex, would you hope for or against Spurrier coming to PSU as a fan (the same question is out there for you, Doug Graham)?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:30 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Alex, would you hope for or against Spurrier coming to PSU as a fan (the same question is out there for you, Doug Graham)?
I would not be against it. I'd still put Kirk Ferentz and Urban Meyer ahead of him on my "wishlist" but wouldn't be disappointed to see Spurrier brought in. He by no means ran the cleanest program down in Gainesville but nothing was ever as bad as what went on at Alabama the last few seasons. He's a proven winner, recruiter and offensive genius. That's exactly what PSU needs right now. Anyone even remotely familiar with the Penn State program knows how "offensively challenged" this team is.

God help me for saying this but, if President Spanier and AD Tim Curley felt Spurrier could uphold the "values" (PSU by no means has been a "clean" program the last few seasons) of Penn State, I and I know many others, would be glad to see him as Joe's successor. Unfortunately this is so unlikely it's not even worth discussing. Funny thing is, the media seems to believe Kirk Ferentz is in line to be Joe's successor while many PSU fans over at BlueWhiteIllustrated.com believe that there is no chance Ferentz comes to PSU. First, before any of this ever happens, Joe needs to realize the time has come (and again, several times) to step down and let someone else takeover. Unfortunately, it's nowhere even close to being as easy as it sounds.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am not so sure Spurrier would be a good hire for any college program right now unless it is a school just looking to cash in on a quick fix and make a few bucks on a bowl game or two. From what I have read Spurrier is only interested in coaching about five or so more years. If and when JoePa leaves why hire a coach who may only stick around for a few years especially when PSU is rapidly approaching the point where it needs to be rebuilt again. JoePa is constantly getting out recruited in his own back yard these days. Al Groh and Ralph Friedgen are making their presence known up there these days and we are seeing more and more PA/NJ/OH guys coming to play for these two. Granted, it is not overwhelming, but they are getting in there and grabbing guys as is Chuck Amato. Darrell Blackmon and Marcus Stone were two pretty big named HS recruits to come out of PA a couple of years ago and they are down in Raleigh now. They are grabbing guys that JoePa normally would have gotten 5-10 years ago.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

If Penn State is going to hire a 60+ year old coach I would much rather have Spurrier than Friedgen, Groh, etc. The best way to go is get Joe out now and make an attempt at Kirk Ferentz, Urban Meyer or Bobby Petrino. Bringing in a young head coach that is a proven winner would be the ideal situation.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

No, I don't think PSU should hire a 60+ year old coach. They need to go get a younger guy who has the energy and wherewithal to bring the program back to national prominence. It is sounding more and more like Petrino is intent on staying in Louisville for the time being. He has said he has no interest in the UF job. But, one can only wonder if it has more to do with how they handled Zook more than anything else.

I think if Ferentz ever leaves Iowa in the near future it will be for the NFL and not another college job. Every year he is one of the two or three college coaches that gets mentioned on the NFL circuit when jobs become available.

Urban Meyer seems to be at the top of UF's wish list and probably has the job if he wants it. What about Boise's Dan Hawkins?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:07 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Hawkins' name has been thrown around. My personal take is that he's headed to Seattle to take the Washington job.

As I said before, Paterno needs to retire first. Until that happens it's almost useless to debate over. For all I know, Joe may very well be at PSU through 2008.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, I saw that Hawkins' name was on the list for UW. An interesting name I heard floated for that job earlier in the week was Mike Price as well. But, the question there is if it is too early for him to get another high-profile gig after the 'Bama fiasco. They are also rumored to be going hard after Urban Meyer.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Price is a little old, but I think he'd be fine at PSU.
The 'Bama thing was a one-time error in judgment unlikely to be repeated.
He's done an amazing job at UTEP. Sure, it's been against pretty awful competition, but similar and same talent has managed only two wins a year over the last three years, and he's got six going into this weekend a bowl-eligible program. Prolly shouldnt' go to a bowl, but they can and that's simply a testament to the coach.

Dave
Old 11-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I was referring to Price being mentioned for the Washington job due to the fact that he has a lot of recruiting ties and connections in the region. I don't know that PSU would be interested in the guy because of that scandal.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #15
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

Being a gator fan myself I was hoping he wouldn't come back. Since their has been a goat (Zook) we can now get a young head coach that will be around for a while, and will get some time to work since he didn't come right after Spurrier. Of course whoever does end up getting the job will be getting a very talented team. Hopefully it will be Urban Meyer.