Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road
Default NCAA at it again..UNREAL....

Oklahoma: Adrian Peterson: Could Lose College Eligibility

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Monday, November 8, 2004
Update: Peterson's eligibilty is in jeopardy because of a Web site that may be earning profits off Peterson's image, the Oklahoma football team reported Thursday.

Recommendation: A fan site, adrian-peterson.com, now has a disclosure on the top of the site. Before, there was nothing that showed that the site was not connected to Peterson personally. Under NCAA rules, a student-athlete cannot use his image to promote commercial products. If the image is being used without the athlete's knowledge, the athlete and school still are required to take steps to to stop the activity. Peterson has not been declared ineligible yet, but the NCAA may have grounds against him.
:wtf: :tdown:
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Could they come up with something more petty? Good grief.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

The Gestapo strikes again....
Old 11-10-2004, 12:36 AM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'm new to this story, so I'm not going to speak to it exactly.

Between this story and the Tressel/Clarett story, and any number of other stories that plague college football off the field, does anyone else wonder just how disproportionately financial and business-oriented college athletics (and by college athletics, I mean 90% football and 10% basketball and not a single other college sport) has become?

You can cast severely overstated aspersions on the NCAA by comparing them to murderers and villains of humanity, but isn't the NCAA simply trying to keep (whether they do it right all the time or not isn't the point) AMATEURISM in a game that the college presidents and conferences and athletic directors have SOLD away to the highest bidder? The NCAA's really just trying to protect the last bastion of amateurism in the game, namely, the student-athlete. Because it lost the war with the universities over television contracts. And it really never (to my knowledge) attempted to assert itself in the machinations of the business of the game.
Remember and realize that because this is all the NCAA really has to do at the Division I-A level, guarding against the continued degradation of the amateurs in the game is all they have left.

Call it petty. Call it standing on its last foot. But, at some level, they're actually protecting something that makes(made?) the college game special. If the NCAA lowers it limitations on the stricture of amateurism, well, we might as well call the BCS NFL Jr.

Dave
Old 11-10-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Well, being a FSU fan....I'm gonna start a website praising Chris Leak, so by the time we play them, the NCAA will have suspended HIM for something I did.

How is Adrian Peterson at fault for some kid in TEXAS having a website dedicated to him? The NCAA is the most bogus and corrupt and imoral organization in this country.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Again, while I understand the rhetorical value of hyperbole, let's face facts: the NCAA is not the federal government, or most local governments, which are more bogus, more corrupt, and usually more immoral than the NCAA.

Dave
Old 11-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

This is retarded. The NCAA expects Peterson to attend practice, do his school stuff, find a way to make money because school won't pay athletes even minimal money to afford food and housing, and monitor the internet for every site that has his name mentioned to make sure they all have disclosures? STUPID NCAA! STUPID STUPID STOOOOOPID!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

No, Kabi, they expect someone in the athletic department's compliance office to do it. Very different. That person gets paid.

Dave
Old 11-11-2004, 04:46 AM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Dave...where's the conspiracy theory here?

OSU and Oklahoma football are equal peers. According to you, we should have never heard of this. It might damage Oklahoma. Oh yeah, the NCAA is a bastard of an organization and crack the whip. LIKE I SAID IN MY POST ON THE CLARETT DEAL, IF YOU FIND NO VIOLATIONS, THERE ARE NONE, BECAUSE THESE SOB'S ARE WORSE THAN YOUR MOM CHECKING FOR VEGETABLES ON YOUR PLATE.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I understand that my arguments in the two threads come off sounding different. I'm actually sort of proud of that.

In the other thread, I'm suggesting that in much the same way Tranghese wouldn't allow the Big East to get reemed when he was king of the BCS Committee, Brand might fight hard to keep one of the four programs in college football from facing any more bad publicity than Clarett brought on the campus.

Here, I'm merely suggesting that folks in positions of authority ought not throw stones at glass houses when they compare the NCAA to the Gestapo. I suspect the Minneapolis PD has had its share of "immoral" activity. Perhaps not as much as the LA or NY PDs, but still...

BTW, I never said any such thing, 78. I'm actually on the side of the NCAA in this one, or at least, I'm not morally offended by it in the way that Purple is. And I find his moral indignation poorly placed.

Dave
Old 11-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Could someone provide a link to this story, for some reason I cannot find one.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:15 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I couldn't find a link to the story itself, actually. However,
if you go here, scroll to about 3/4 page, then there's sort of a wrap-up of the whole story.

Likely why you can't find links to the story anywhere. It was more ado about little than it was worth. Certainly not worthy of Gestapo comparisons.

Dave
Old 11-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #13
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, OK Dave,

Now I see why it was hard for me to find anything about it, this is nothing and certainly nothing the NCAA should be catching flack about.

I think the key word here in that write up is: construed, "the use of Petersons name and picture could be construed as an NCAA violation." Rightfully so.

But since it is clearly independent of AP and this investigation(if you can call it that), was started by OU, it is pretty clear the NCAA should not be the villian here.

There are and rightfully so, reasons why the NCAA would institute safeguards in respect to these types of things. OU appears to be doing there part and the site now does have a disclaimer posted.............this story is now moot and the NCAA should not take any criticism for this one.

Is Mike Williams eligible yet????? We could really use him!

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote