Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 10-25-2004, 12:38 PM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default Zook out as Florida Coach

Link.

I'm hearing a lot of rumblings about Rick Neuheisel replacing him, as he has been cleared by the NCAA. I've heard nothing but "no" about Spurrier taking the job back, but I can't completely rule it out until they hire someone else.

Oh yeah, speaking of,...congrats to Sylvester Croom.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

Why let him finish the season? Give a coordinator a look, or do something else. Zook isn't the answer, apparently, so why have him hanging around your program?
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Had to happen
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
Glen Willis
Sports Central Staff

Glen Willis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Joepritch2
Why let him finish the season? Give a coordinator a look, or do something else. Zook isn't the answer, apparently, so why have him hanging around your program?
I completely agree. What is the point? It seems to me that they are flushing an entire recruiting season down the toilet.
Glen Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

They're firing the entire staff. No need to give looks to anyone on the staff, because they're all unemployed come season's end, too.

It's funny, I was going to login this morning and start a thread suggesting that Zook should be gone as of this morning... then I hear on my local sports talk radio that, lo and behold, the thin ice cracked.

It is interesting that this two years running in which we've had a coach fired after going .600 or better in three years or more.

I understand the temper of college football today, but I wonder, just really wonder, what the hell has gone wrong with this game where winning isn't enough. You have to win at an improbable 90% clip to survive.

I agree that the loss to Miss State is an embarrassing one for the program, yadda, yadda, but whose fault was it really? The coach who has attracted a lot of young talent but has some trouble with gameday situations, or the kids who go out onto the field not wanting to play, and fail to cut it.

Congratulations to Sly Croom and the Miss State program for slamming that nail into Zook's ever-present coffin.

As for successors: Neuheisel sounds about right: no running game to bog down the offense, no defense to distract from the fireworks.

I think Florida would be playing with small sticks of dynamite bringing in a guy whose reputation as a rules-breaker is really much better than as a coach, but he should fit in quite well with the SEC, conference for rules-ignorance.

Dave
Old 10-25-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road

I'm so happy.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I guess this means the "Spurrier back to Gainsville" rumors will begin making their way around soon. Good move by Florida, the loss to Miss. State gave them the perfect excuse to fire him and the coaching staff. The hiring of Zook never made sense to me. Florida could've had almost any college coach in the nation and they took an NFL defensive coordinator. Hopefully they make a better decision this time.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

I understand the temper of college football today, but I wonder, just really wonder, what the hell has gone wrong with this game where winning isn't enough. You have to win at an improbable 90% clip to survive.

I think the reason for that is the same reason Zook and his staff were fired now, rather than the end of the season.

It's because boosters and fans are demanding, impatient, and stupid, and the administrations either feels compelled to respond to them anyway or are just as demanding, impatient, and stupid as boosters.

UPDATE from YAHOO!

The media talks to Spurrier:

``I'll cross that bridge if it comes to that,'' Spurrier told the Orlando Sentinel. ``The thing I've tried to do all this year is not be lingering around, acting like I'm waiting for another guy's job. I don't believe that's the right way to do it. But now that he doesn't have a job, I guess there will be some discussion. We'll see what happens.''

Man, he is SO the next Florida coach. Again.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by KevinBeane; 10-25-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I looked at my wife after the Miss State game and told her "Zook just signed his own walking papers." I didn't think it would come this soon though.

I'm thinking Spurrier will end up in N Carolina. And smart money says his son will be playing QB, where ever he ends up.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I will be very surprised if Spurrier comes to Chapel Hill. As of right now those rumors are being written off as pie in the sky delusions of Tar Heel Nation more than anything else by the local media. The consensus amongst the media is that UNC will not be willing to meet Spurrier's price tag to come coach the Heels which is why they ended up with an unproved NFL LB coach in John Bunting.

The Heels need to go for a proven winner from the mid-major ranks who can re-build the program from the ground up instead of a guy like Spurrier who is likely to retire for good in another five years or so.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Florida could've had almost any college coach in the nation and they took an NFL defensive coordinator. Hopefully they make a better decision this time.
Yup............Its always a terrible idea to take and NFL defensive coordinator.

Fight On! Pete Carroll!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #12
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

After watching the ESPN interviews with Spurrier and Foley..................does anyone doubt he wont be back as coach???

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
Yup............Its always a terrible idea to take and NFL defensive coordinator.

Fight On! Pete Carroll!
Carroll had head coaching experience in the NFL. Zook had nothing.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:53 PM   #14
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

no offense mike but....................... couldnt you think of something else to say to your wife besides that???lol jk.i wouldn't even be in the house because me and stephanie(my wife/girlfriend) would be spending time together.and yea we have been going out for 2 years.lol
Old 10-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #15
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

YEAH, Mike....what kind of wussy are you? I mean...

Wait. Stop. You know what? I was attempting to parody Gohawks post, and it's simply beyond parody on so many different levels. It's in a universe of its own.

Thanks Gohawks, for the unintended hilarity.