Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Ok, then he needs to walk away and quit.
Unloading a truck and pushing a pencil are two different things in the sense that you would not ask a 50 year old lady to get out from her desk and unload a truck. Soriano is an athlete, now switching positions may be tuff, but it is far from impossible. It's not like we're asking him to pitch right?
Lets be honest, he's not the best 2B glove on that team, but his bat is powerful. He is not a "team player".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham
Soriano can't walk and get picked up by another team, though. He'd have to sit out this season and try to hope a team signs him after a year of no ball. He wouldn't get paid and would risk getting paid a lot less next season.
Thats what I meant, yeah he'll sit out - but in a year he'll get picked up. Thats why I say "stop crying and play now!"
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #17
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

He'll get picked up, but at what salary? I know you don't agree with the premise behind what Soriano is doing, but he wants to protect his fair market value. Now, if I were a ballplayer, I wouldn't give a damn where they wanted me to play and how many millions they'd want to pay me to do it. I'd just love being out there. But, I'm not Soriano.

At the end of the day, Soriano's not being greedy for more money. He just realizes that his next contract will be his last big contract. He wants his fair market value for his services. If he goes to the outfield it's going to be a lot more difficult to come about that.

I disagree with the Nationals mainly in their wanting to put him on the DQ list. Had they said "well, we made a mistake, we'll just pay him to keep him on the bench playing a couple times a week as Vidro's backup" then I would have faulted them a lot less. Instead they wanted to not pay him and not play him at all. That's what my problem with the Nats is.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #18
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you about the DQ list. That is just stupid.
But if he's looking out for his market value, what will sitting on the bench for a year do to that?
I think I read last night (the headline) that he's "thinking about OF". Maybe he's afraid to call their bluff (if it is one). I can't see the Nats paying all that $ for him to sit.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
But if he's looking out for his market value, what will sitting on the bench for a year do to that?
Oh, he'll certainly hurt his market value, but it will be his choice. Take the hit to market value by sitting on the bench or take it by playing the outfield.

Quote:
I think I read last night (the headline) that he's "thinking about OF".
He's in left right now.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
boston_aloha
FFB #2

LOL... classic! What a waste of posts
EDIT: Yup, just reading now:
Quote:
JUPITER, Fla. -- Alfonso Soriano agreed to play left field Wednesday and was in the Washington Nationals' lineup for his first spring training game, two days after refusing to move from second base.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #21
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

heh, yeah, I saw that he was playing and was like "damn, I'll make a couple more posts even though it no longer matters".
Old 03-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #22
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

But I hardly doubt this will be the end of it. This situation will likely linger the entire season, and I expect the Nationals to try to push hard for a hard, especially around the trading deadline (if Alfonso is still with the Nationals).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #23
boston_aloha
FFB #2

eh, I disagree.... I think if he makes it thru spring training this may go away. I'm sure deep down he just wants to play. Maybe Soriano was bluffing. I hope it all works out. I hate these little bratty fights.
In the words of Nigel Tufnel: "Thats nit-picking isn't it?"
Old 03-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #24
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

If Alfonso Soriano really insists on playing 2B, I'm sure the Nats could find a trading partner to move him, and his contract, to before spring training is over. They already have a very good 2B in camp -- Vidro. They have a need for an outfielder, hence the decision to move Soriano, who is not as smooth in the field, to left.
Soriano led the AL 2B's in errors, tying Rickie Weeks for the major league lead, last season. Jose Vidro is a very gifted fielder. The decision was an easy one for Nats management. I hope Soriano decides to play for the team, rather than the individual.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote